This Method Could Have Rocketry Applications.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Found this during today's research:

[video=youtube;MAinuf5I_dw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAinuf5I_dw[/video]

[video=youtube;yfzwRaIJf0c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfzwRaIJf0c&feature=iv&annotation_id=563c31f9-0000-2ba5-b641-94eb2c08befc&src_vid=MAinuf5I_dw[/video]

Guy needs some ventilation and a respirator, but otherwise, the technique looks like it is quite applicable to our hobby.
Also, those Vinyl Gloves should be Nitrile.

Looks like you could use this method to make a lot of FG molds for rocketry related parts like nose cones.
I'll investigate further, and report back on my findings.

Last edited:
You should look around the Smooth-on website. Tons of casting a coating info.

ive had a few pipe dreams of making a foam rocket coated with this stuff or making a mold of parts and casting them with this lightweight urethane

I see videos like this and say, "I want to do this", but with the proper safety and environmental hazard precautions.
I'm a big jerk about not messing around when it comes to safety. A "Safety Nazi" I have been called in the Motorpool more than once.
I wear it like a badge of honor, as safety equals efficiency.
You are going to encounter a fairly large exposure to hazardous substances when you get to doing rockets all the time, so the biggest favor you can do for yourself before beginning is get stuff like a NIOSH Certified Respirator, Face Shield, Goggles, Nitrile Gloves, etc;
The more I do stuff like Fiberglassing and working with Epoxies, the more I find myself having to work outdoors, which is great for natural lighting, but not so good if it is snowing or raining.
I wear the respirator anyway when I'm outside sanding FG, as the thought of a FG Fiber in my big strong lungs sickens me. I don't smoke, and want my lungs to be healthy as they can be.
I'de really like to have a dedicated workspace, with positive airflow, like when I worked in a Cheese Factory, but til' then, I'll build as safe as I can.

THATS IT!!!
At least I think.
Gel-coat.
I have a few BT60s that I got in a box of parts that I bought from a TRFer
The tubes were filled and finished with a white substance .And they are very stiff/hard.
I don't know what else it could be.

Anywhoo- thanks for posting this.

Last edited:
I see videos like this and say, "I want to do this", but with the proper safety and environmental hazard precautions.
I'm a big jerk about not messing around when it comes to safety. A "Safety Nazi" I have been called in the Motorpool more than once.
I wear it like a badge of honor, as safety equals efficiency.
You are going to encounter a fairly large exposure to hazardous substances when you get to doing rockets all the time, so the biggest favor you can do for yourself before beginning is get stuff like a NIOSH Certified Respirator, Face Shield, Goggles, Nitrile Gloves, etc;
The more I do stuff like Fiberglassing and working with Epoxies, the more I find myself having to work outdoors, which is great for natural lighting, but not so good if it is snowing or raining.
I wear the respirator anyway when I'm outside sanding FG, as the thought of a FG Fiber in my big strong lungs sickens me. I don't smoke, and want my lungs to be healthy as they can be.
I'de really like to have a dedicated workspace, with positive airflow, like when I worked in a Cheese Factory, but til' then, I'll build as safe as I can.

You forgot tampons

Back