Micro Shrouds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is made from 110 cardstock. Those nozzles are not part of the Zooch kit, that was just a little detail I added. I just coated the inside with white glue to stiffen it up a little.

Here's a BT-5 Tranny that I'm using on an MMX Sparrow AIM-7F scratch build.
I should have used the lighter 85# cardstock that I just got, but I have not gotten used to it yet, so I stuck with the 110# for it, and though the seam was sanded and could have been hidden, I made sure to hide it extra good with a fin.:wink:

MMXSPARROWREARFINS 2008-01-09 003.jpg

StarTrooperSparrowPaint5may2016 2008-01-11 002.jpg

Last edited:
Vary Nicely Done Top! Great looking Sparrow AIM-7f

Thanks John.
Atleast now I know I can handle doing the paper only fins, and feel good about not using any FG.
She's still heavier than I'de like to admit, but CG is good and she should be safe to fly even if a low flier.
I know I can make it even lighter the second time I build it, as I've seen all the places where I sacrificed performance, and it's such a neat looking rocket that it deserves to fly higher than 40-50 ft.
I'm learning a lot from your techniques, and appreciate your skills, even though we don't see eye to eye on everything.
What would be the fun in that, right?:)
I still have a lot to learn about making these small birds as light as possible obviously, but I'm enjoying the journey, so I'm hooked!
I sanded it down quite a bit, and fixed the imperfections with paperclay instead of bondo, which was a challenge, but paperclay weighs next to nothing when it dries, so I watered some down and smoothed it into the gaps and it turned out ok.
The primer is still drying, but I should have an almost done pic' tomorrow.

MMX Sparrow AIM-7F 2008-01-12 005.jpgMMX Sparrow AIM-7F 2008-01-12 007.jpgMMX Sparrow AIM-7F 2008-01-12 006.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!

Thank You!:)

I based the Nose Cone on this picture of an actual Sparrow's nose:

Sparrow Nose.jpg

I love this nose cone!

I was going to do the fin gussets, but I don't want it to hover in front of me, so that will have to wait til' the next one, when I will emboss the gussets directly into the paper as a detail. It's getting heavy.
This one will have to live with low altitudes and non-actuating fins.

Last edited:
I have something similar for my Exocet...

View attachment 290300

Rock on Brother!!! :headbang:
That's Awesome!!! :clap:
The Missiles need there Missile specific Ogives! :cheers:
They Deserve them! :clap:

Paper Hat Conical Madness is over now, and I'm even building a turning Jig/Lathe. It's on now!

Star Trooper Paint 2008-01-13 005.jpg

All done:

Rocketwise Today, May 10th 2016 2016-05-10 015.jpg

Last edited:
Back