SkyPyrates Sky Wolf Build from Jon Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skp

Reaction score
I have been doing my level best to only be a lpr BAR, but when I had the opportunity to purchase a mpr for the price of a lpr kit I folded like a cheap suit. It is just research and data collection; nothing more. Really, I mean it. I have no intention of using a gram of epoxy or glass. Honestly, the parts in the kit are scary heavy to my way of thinking. That is without trying to tank the daylights out of it. That being said, this kit is available from Jon Rockets and I really like the look of it. It is only slightly larger than a Big Bertha and with some of the motor options it could break mach or go over a mile high. I really can’t imagine such a thing.
Sky Wolf cover.jpgSky Wolf Parts.jpg

Nope, no need for glassing or epoxy. Especially if you're thinking of breaking mach. Just wood glue and slapping it all together, like any MPR. Other than that, I'm looking forward to your build. Subscribed. :pop:

It will fly beautifully on an Estes F15-6. (Save your Hobby Lobby coupon)

dlb did a Sky Wolf build thread and the posts became the instructions that came with the kit. He used epoxy extensively, so my build will be different.
The 1st thing I did was build a 24mm to 29mm adapter for because the largest mandrel I have for my fin jig is 24mm. Sky Wolf 29mm to 24mm Adaptor.jpg

The fin tabs run the full length of the fin. Strong attachment to the MM is critical and there is no way to do internal fillets. There was a thread on fin pockets and I decided to go that route. I cut balsa strips, pinned the fin assembly together with drill bits and sanded the unit to conform to the curvature of the motor mount.
Sky Wolf Sanding Pocket.jpg

The fin tabs run the full length of the fin. Strong attachment to the MM is critical and there is no way to do internal fillets. There was a thread on fin pockets and I decided to go that route. I cut balsa strips, pinned the fin assembly together with drill bits and sanded the unit to conform to the curvature of the motor mount.
View attachment 287439

Sweet technique right there!!!

Sky Wolf Pocket.jpg
One pocket done.
Sky Wolf MM.jpg
MM complete. I used a popsicle stick to make spacers for in between the 2 fins, and slotted the rear centering ring so that I could move it forward. The kit instructions have it being flush with the bottom of the MM tube and the airframe. Motor retention is accomplished using a screw and washer. I wanted the 1/4in overhang in case I decide to purchase an Aero Pack Retainer. I can still add it after the build is complete and it has flown a couple of times. The Estes retainer would be wider than the airframe, so that is not an option.

The kit instructions also have the kevlar shock cord attached to the MM. I have opted not to mount it that way. I like having it further from the heat, so I will anchor it to the body tube kind of like Estes does.

For glues I used: Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue and Elmer's Glue-All(old formula)
Titebond III is super thin and runny. I feel that the penetrating ability has to be best of any wood glue I've seen, but I would never use it for anything like centering rings, couplers or anything else where sliding and positioning is critical.

Thank you for the vote of confidence Daddy. It may be a bit premature based solely on the motor mount, but I guess the pressure is on now. And thank you to those expressing interest in the build.

View attachment 287439

Excellent technique!

I'll add my support for using wood and white glue. Most rockets are severely overbuilt.

I built one of these awhile back. It's a really nice kit and the vinyl decals really add the nice finishing touch.:)

Good to know it is light enough to fly on the Estes 29mm motors. However I have an Econojet F27-8R in my box which I'll probably use for the maiden flight. The red flame should look nice with the red and black rocket.:wink:

The lighter you build it the better.
I built this with many types of glue, wood, Gorilla and (3) different types of Epoxy.
Personally I found the lightest and Strongest I built it was with West Systems Epoxy and Milled Fiberglass.
I had next to no external Fillets, That version still fly's and now has over 110 flights on it. One of the Wood glue units while did fly great, got lost over night and found the next day the morning dew softened the glue and a fin came lose. I suggest a real good sealant(Paint) not the cheap stuff to protect it.
Tip1: coat the airframe on the inside were the NC go's with a very thin layer of Epoxy, makes that area last a long time.

Tip2: Keep the edges between the fins very sharp for any possibility of whistling to happen, Fast burning motors and a longer glide work the best.(Vmax, Warp)

You should hear the 4" version, it don't whistle, it Howlllls.

Glad you like it, it's a great little Field flyer from a D12-3(300 feet MAX), H399(1 mile, even) best was a I204 (6150 feet), Favorite Motor CTI G54, Long burn Red, maybe the new Mellow G33

Thanks to Charlie O. at North Carolina Com Composites, I'm now putting together a Carbon Fiber version. It's a little longer and can handle 6XL motors, it will only use streamers.

Jim and I had a lot of fun doing the SkyWolf and Punisher for NSL under the Sky-Pyrates Logo , I'm also working on a new X-Wing type rocket, that I will show later this month.

Any question, just ask, testing this was over 200+ flights in data.

20150426_125832.jpg

Thank you for the tips, especially for the motor selections. I feel that may be the most daunting aspect of the MPR vs LPR. I do like the kit for it's ability to go all the way down to a D for small fields or all the way up to being able to certify. I also like that this is a rocket that very few people will have. I don't doubt that this kit could survive until it is called home by the God of Rockets, or until He returns. I have beveled a small sharp bevel on the leading edge of the leading fin and left all other edges square.

The kit requires you to cut your own slots in the tube. I am very happy that I built fin pockets. I only took a picture of the nicest slot, because I am so adverse to judgment and criticism.:rolleyes: The other 2 were a little sloppier, but fin alignment and fit was a snap with the pockets.

SkyWolf fin.jpgSky Wolf Fin1.jpg

Fins were attached using Titebond III wood glue and held in alignment using The Ultimate Rocket Fin Guide from ibuildstuff4u, who hasn't posted in a year, and 2 DuroEdge safety rulers.
Sky Wolf Fin Jig.jpgSky Wolf Fin Align.jpg

With such precision and craftsmanship I am expecting nothing short of arrow straight flights on a wide range of motors!

Careful Skp, I think somebody is trying to draw you offsides. Hey ref, can we get a flag for taunting next time ?!? :wink:

Great looking fins. I need to find a set of cool purple clamps like that. :)

Careful Skp, I think somebody is trying to draw you offsides. Hey ref, can we get a flag for taunting next time ?!? :wink:

Great looking fins. I need to find a set of cool purple clamps like that. :)

When flying with Skp you not only have to talk the talk, you have to walk the walk. Stick a Sharpie in your sock because like T.O. your are going to have to sign that rocket in the end zone! His first rocket built as a BAR ended up in a Museum, so the standard only goes up from there!

Your rockets and Tex Mex food better be super hot. Questionable SU AT F44's do not scare him. He was the only one to fly MicroMax at Naram, in and amongst the M sparkies. Still the only time I have ever seen Micro Max flown out West.

Daddy is prone to suffer flights of fancy. It wasn't my first rocket back as a BAR that got into the museum. He is spot on about the hot food and MicroMax at Naram.Sky Wolf fillets.jpgSky Wolf Filler.jpgSky Wolf Anchor.jpg
I have filleted the fins with Titebond Mold and Trim glue, filled spirals, fins and fillets with Elmer wood filler. Most controversially, a picture of my shock cord anchor made out of Bristol Board. The cord is a generous 12ft long and I plan to use painters tape to make shock absorbing loops in it.

Skp is prone to "flights of fancy" every time by using only sound techniques and pure model rocket science:)

OK, maybe the museum piece was your second or third rocket as a BAR, but the story is better if you tell them it was your first. Now let me tell you about that trout I caught last Summer, it was this. . . . . . . long!

Sky Wolf primer and putty.jpgSky Wolf Primed and ready for Paint.jpg
We have had a lot of snow and humidity here lately, so it has been a little tricky to get any spraying done. After a coat of filler primer there were more spirals showing than I like, as well as some missed imperfections in the fillets, so on went some squadron putty. After that a base coat of white primer. I plan to use Createx Wicked paint for the color coats. I am hoping to keep it at 9oz. finished.

Is this unit, SkyPyrates Sky Wolf, still available for that great low price?
I admit that I am being tempted... What WAS the price anyway?

View attachment 288784View attachment 288785
We have had a lot of snow and humidity here lately, so it has been a little tricky to get any spraying done. After a coat of filler primer there were more spirals showing than I like, as well as some missed imperfections in the fillets, so on went some squadron putty. After that a base coat of white primer. I plan to use Createx Wicked paint for the color coats. I am hoping to keep it at 9oz. finished.

Very nice. I guess you'll see how light (or heavy) that airbrush acrylic is.

And, this is on sale?

I don't know, but I'll bet Roger at JonRocket would know.

What's it mean Commemorative, limited edition? Has this rocket been produced, and retired, before? How long ago? Is it highly sought after for some reason?

Hmm... the link answered this. "Produced to commemorate the 2015 National Sport Launch, this is a limited edition kit."

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...mmemorative-Kits&highlight=commemorative+kits

Last edited:
I got mine when Jon Rocket put one up for auction on their ebay store. Looking at the quality of parts and adding up the cost if I were to try to clone it, 49.00 + free shipping that Jon Rocket offers is more than reasonable. I really like that this kit can be flown from D to H so that on any field at any launch it can be put up. The fins and proportions seem to me to be a nice balance of aggressive and sleek. I did not have an ebay account until I saw this offered. That is all I can say about it's desirability.

Back