Has anybody else celebrated...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenex

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
"Bring Your Rocket to Work Day"?

IMAG0384[1].jpgIMAG0385[1].jpg

A bunch of coworkers wanted to see what I've been working on in our engineering lab during lunches.

I used to work in a hospital lab and painted a Mirage in my lab's fume hood one weekend morning (my particular lab was M-F 8-4 service). Don't worry, I put newspaper up, but this was before 9/11 when a person in scrubs could carry what looked like a missile through a lobby as long as he or she had proper ID.:facepalm:

I used to bring a rocket or two to sit by my desk in the warehouse. It was a coworker who got me into rocketry when he was talking about launching Estes rockets with his son. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a starter set to launch with him . . . then I went online, discovered Aerotech, then the Rocketry Online website. Eighteen years later and approximately $30,000 poorer, here I am.

Not to work but to a gathering of friends from another hobby/athletic discipline.

They probably expected to see something on the order of a Big Bertha. Boy, were they surprised when I brought them a L1 rocket.

The following summer they took a trunkload of Estes kits and motors down to the orphanage in Mexico where they donate time and money to help with the operation of the orphanage. The rockets were a big success. They also took the kids on a shopping trip where many bought their first pair of new shoes...as opposed to hand-me-downs and mis-matched pairs.

Sometimes we forget that others don't have the same economical standing as we do.

Yes. My boss and a couple coworkers are interested, so I brought in my X-Celerator a couple times while I was building it and when it was done.

I have motors shipped to my work so someone’s here to sign for them. They check out the goods, since there’s usually a J or K in there, and they’re used to the small Estes motors when they were kids. One of the guys dug out a couple of his old rockets, bought some B motors from a local hobby shop and took his kids out to launch. Hopefully they get back into it. I can’t follow up since he left the company.

One of my coworkers was interested enough to make the 2 hour drive to our high power launch and brought his father and a friend who took excellent photos. I was hoping to get them hooked, but they decided it was too spendy.

a rocket in your office like this?

IMG_20150909_110608281_HDR.jpgIMG_20160317_072425099.jpg

hey that looks like a mod LOC Big Nuke I crashed twice.

After I fly my Ultimate Wildman in May, it will going the 'Big Luke'

Last edited:
The shot of the rocket sticking up out of the cube is excellent (reminds me of the missile sticking through the roof of the house in Weird Science), wish I still had a cube and hadn't gone to 'open seating', no place to display a rocket anymore. :(

It was a co-worker who turned me into a BAR, while neither of us have brought assembled rockets to work I get all of my parts delivered to my desk and people know about my addiction, so when the boxes show up people generally ask "more rocketry stuff?" Of course at the level they're shipped they're much less interesting to the casual observer, I opened one box in front of others and it was just tubes made of various material (metal - motor cases, cardboard/FG - airframes and MMTs), same for discs (centering rings & bulkheads) and some fins. So while it was exciting to me I think it was pretty anti-climactic for the folks watching. :) But the peanut gallery commentary was amusing: "Look, it's a tube. And another tube! This one has a tube inside the tube!" (that was a CTI motor case in its clear plastic tube).

The shot of the rocket sticking up out of the cube is excellent (reminds me of the missile sticking through the roof of the house in Weird Science), wish I still had a cube and hadn't gone to 'open seating', no place to display a rocket anymore. :(

It was a co-worker who turned me into a BAR, while neither of us have brought assembled rockets to work I get all of my parts delivered to my desk and people know about my addiction, so when the boxes show up people generally ask "more rocketry stuff?" Of course at the level they're shipped they're much less interesting to the casual observer, I opened one box in front of others and it was just tubes made of various material (metal - motor cases, cardboard/FG - airframes and MMTs), same for discs (centering rings & bulkheads) and some fins. So while it was exciting to me I think it was pretty anti-climactic for the folks watching. :) But the peanut gallery commentary was amusing: "Look, it's a tube. And another tube! This one has a tube inside the tube!" (that was a CTI motor case in its clear plastic tube).

My company is pushing us toward open seating now- the half my team that are mostly biochemists are frantically upset, because they (like me) are accustomed to "safe space" to store and read journals. The other half of my team which are more engineering focused LOVE IT because, as they shared, "more room to spread out"
I should bring my 3" FG adventurer 3 in to really confuse the facilities team with what they're dealing with!

I wasn't really into rocketry when I was employed. However, I did bring several to school when I was attending PSU.

Back