Hobby Epoxy shelf life...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsexton

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where else to post this but are there any general guidelines for the shelf life of unopened hobby epoxies (Hangar 9, HobbyTown, etc.)? Does it make any difference whether it is 5 minute, 12 minute, 30 minute, etc.? Second part of the question is once opened (but capped) how long do you normally keep epoxy before disposing?

Last edited:
So I guess I will answer my own question - following is a response from Bob Smith Industries who supplies much of the hobby epoxy in the marketplace:

"Our epoxies have an official five year shelf life, but they are generally longer than that. Storage in a dry environment is the most important factor. As long as the cap is kept on the bottles, opened epoxy will have nearly the same shelf life as new bottles. Storage temperatures should be above 40 degrees F."

So I guess I will answer my own question - following is a response from Bob Smith Industries who supplies much of the hobby epoxy in the marketplace:

"Our epoxies have an official five year shelf life, but they are generally longer than that. Storage in a dry environment is the most important factor. As long as the cap is kept on the bottles, opened epoxy will have nearly the same shelf life as new bottles. Storage temperatures should be above 40 degrees F."

I have some BSI epoxy that is about 10 years old that I use in non-critical parts, all that was required was to warm and stir the components prior to use, the hardener is yellowed but the stuff still sets up okay. The key is I don't use it where I need the full strength because it may not be.

Latest posts

Back