Sideways Pictures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
You've seen them. People posting pics and can't figure out why they are sideways when they post them. This used to happen to me until I did just one little thing.

Snap your pic.
Download to computer.
Before you do another thing, close out any software associated with said pic.
Go find the file where you stored the photo(s) and click on the first photo. Windows pic & fax viewer will usually open it up. if the pic is sideways, use the little rotate tool at the bottom of the page until it's positioned how you like it. Then move on to the next pic, and so forth. Windows will remember that you already fixed this and it should show up in your attachment like you expected. If you are working from a phone or tablet, you're on your own. I just know how Windows does it. Your alternate device should have a viewer mode, and maybe the same applies there also. Not sure. Hope this help some of you.

Gary,
Indeed, perusing the images on the folder one is uploading pictures from and rotating those thumbnails that are sideways is the way to go.

However, I have still had issues of pictures being uploaded sideways, even after all rotations have been trailed. I'm beginning to think there is a size limit to the uploaded picture, and if one dimension is too large, it will trial sideways. If that's the only way it is uploaded, then it seems sideways sticks. I could certainly be wrong, but tis my observation

Dan

I've had them correct in Windows, then when uploaded to Photobucket they displayed sideways. I would rotate it in Photobucket, then when posted here it was sideways again. I have not taken the time to figure out why different platforms display differently.

I've rotated mine on the PC and they still upload sideways here. I've given up.

All of my pics are on my computer. People sometimes import them from and online source just so they will be really big on the monitor. I find that unnecessary. Maybe too big of a pic does have some kind of issues. I resize my full tilt pics until they are 10" high & 14" wide, and never have any problems. That's plenty big enough because you can always click on the pic for a larger version and use the "+" magnifier to make it even bigger. It's likely that you guys that use an online source (IE: photobucket) will also have them on your computer. Just don't use the online source and see if that helps. Just remember that, size prolly does matter.

@Flyfalcons; Maybe someone will chime in and figure that one out for you. I know, that my rotation from my computer was the ticket.

If it's rotated correctly and uploaded to flickr.com, it will be correctly orientated when you use the code supplied by them.

Oh, and flickr offers 1Tb for free.

I had a couple that looked correct on the PC but came sideways on the forum. I right-90-rotated them four times ( = 360 ) and saved, then re-uploaded. Worked for me, YMMV.

I had a couple that looked correct on the PC but came sideways on the forum. I right-90-rotated them four times ( = 360 ) and saved, then re-uploaded. Worked for me, YMMV.

There have been many excellent hypotheses that may or may not work for everyone. Still baffling, indeed. The only pictures I upload are directly from my hard drive. I've tried using lower-quality pictures to affect upload size, as well as crop pictures to affect overall size, both to no avail. I have rotated pictures 4x, as well as rotated pictures according to how the downloader feels like displaying them (ie: if 90-degrees off to the left, rotated the hard copy 90 degrees to the right), also to no avail.

Today I just uploaded a couple of pictures to the Extreme 12 gallery, and even given their relative size (both file size and picture size), they uploaded correctly:
1) opened picture file in microsoft paint
2) selected what I wanted to include in the picture, and copied this to a new MS paint file
3) saved as .bmp file
4) uploaded
5) ...
6) Win!

for those that have tried the other solutions without great effect, I hope this may help

To add another level to this topic, My pc is down and been doing all my uploading from cell phone. Even if the pic shows up correctly in my phone or rotate it, sometimes they still upload wrong. Iv began taking all my photos in landscape mode and havent had any problems. The problems seem to be only with portraits for me.

The problem is that there's some information saved within the file (metadata) that indicates which way is up. Some viewing software use this and some don't. Your image may look fine on your computer if it's ignoring that information, but when you upload it the forum software does use the information and then rotates it unexpectedly.

Here's a step that I found solves the problem for me, every single time. I use Windows Photo Viewer to rotate every picture I'm about to upload 90 degrees so that they're all wrong, and then rotate them all back.

Every time I get a new version of Windows it seems like there is a different viewer. So it's the one with this at the bottom:

Windos Photo Viewer.JPG

I highlighted the rotate buttons.

I open the first picture and click the right rotate. The keyboard right arrow will take it to the next picture in the directory and save the rotation of the previous picture. So it's easy to click rotate with the mouse, press right arrow with other hand, click, press, click, press... through all the pictures. Once you get them all rotated do it again rotating the other direction.

You HAVE to move to a different picture before rotating it back again. If you open, rotate, rotate back, and then move to the next picture nothing will change. If you're only rotating one picture then you should open it, rotate, close, open, rotate back, close, and you're good.

Once they're all rotated correctly the orientation information is saved within the file's metadata and the forum software won't show them rotated on their side anymore.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I still use XP and the standard Windows format. No Chrome or any other concept. I can honestly say I've never had you guys problems with sideways pics. Seems to me, that there should be a way to highlight all photo files at once, and make some kind of adjustment or command to keep the "top of pic", at the top.

Image orientation is included in the metadata in the image file generated by your camera. But it doesn't always work correctly because some software doesn't update the metadata when you rotate the image and some other software ignores the metadata when displaying the image.

I use Flickr and if my images are oriented wrong after being uploaded I just use Flickr to rotate them.

Back