Learn me on the LOC 4-29SS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHaase

Reaction score
This one's got my attention right now, and I am about ready to pull the trigger, but want to figure out a couple things first.

1 - I'm looking to get into clusters and air-starts, figured this kit would be able to fill both roles. Launch on a 2 or 4 motor cluster, with an option to do a 2 motor launch with a 2 motor air-start at some point down the road. Probably not an easy launch, but would be fun as hell. Am I correct in this assumption?

2 - Motor retention looks like a pain, and I have never been very good at friction fit ... in fact I am terrible at it. Thinking of something like a center bolt/washer to hold all four motors in place.

Any other good or bad points to bring up with this one? I looked for build threads, but didn't see any complete ones. So I figure I'll have to do a build thread. So assuming I do, any requests?

I just have a head full of fun sounding motor combos to fly it on. OFF TO THE SIM'S!

-Hans

motor retention is simple. threaded rod in the center sticking out about an inch then one nut and washer would hold all 4. or is you dont like a piece of metal on the back just reverse it. epoxy a nut in the center (keep epoxy out of the threads) then a bolt and washer holds the motor in.
If you want to fly with 2 motors put 2 used motors on the oposite motor tubes to block the ejection gas.
to air start if you are one of the lucky few Thermolight is great for simple air starts or an electronic air start. Perfect flight makes a good system.

What you really want to do is put threaded lamp rod in the center. This allows you to use a nut/washer (also in electrical dept. in big box store) and have a plenum to run wires down to do an airstart. Get real clever and you can do both airstart and dual-deploy from the same mid-body compartment :).

34013_3_d3ce84.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1363.JPG

I was hoping you would chime in. you made the Thunderstruck video with your 4-29. I thought you had a interesting way you run the wires but didn't think to ask you when we were talking.

Tim,

Still thinking on how to get this (your old 4-29SS) flying w/o your Raven setup and the tether setup. I got the Marsa 54 and thinking the pyro unit might be what I use for airstarts. I think I'll cut it in half and add an AV by rather than a tether. Maybe... Unless I try the Jolly Logic Chute Release... Hmm, yeah, that's it... Maybe... Maybe I don't need the pyro unit. I use the Marsa to light the air starts and pop the nose. Then use the JLCR to open the chute at lower altitude... Hmm... Thoughts?

Adrian

Tim,

Still thinking on how to get this (your old 4-29SS) flying w/o your Raven setup and the tether setup. I got the Marsa 54 and thinking the pyro unit might be what I use for airstarts. I think I'll cut it in half and add an AV by rather than a tether. Maybe... Unless I try the Jolly Logic Chute Release... Hmm, yeah, that's it... Maybe... Maybe I don't need the pyro unit. I use the Marsa to light the air starts and pop the nose. Then use the JLCR to open the chute at lower altitude... Hmm... Thoughts?

Adrian

JLCR is the same concept as what I did with the Defy Gravity tether. Still, I wouldn't add another av-section. You need to mount a controller on the internal board. Do you have a Stratalogger CF to do apogee? Even an SL100 might fit. I just used the Raven/Perch combo mainly for the magnetic switch.

JLCR is the same concept as what I did with the Defy Gravity tether. Still, I wouldn't add another av-section. You need to mount a controller on the internal board. Do you have a Stratalogger CF to do apogee? Even an SL100 might fit. I just used the Raven/Perch combo mainly for the magnetic switch.

If using the JLCR, I wouldn't cut it for a AV bay. I'd put the Marsa in the internal bay for the airstart and drogue deploy (I guess I should check if it fits in there). I just got a PF Minialt/WD, but that won't light the airstarts.

Adrian

add a payload bay from LOC? Been planning one of these and it looks like they'll get up there on H238/ H220 combos......

Last edited:
Slick idea with the lamp rod, solves the main problem I was concerned with. I think it's time to get an order placed.
Order has been placed, in about a week or two a build thread will be incoming. It's been too long since I've built a rocket.
Now to decide on a color scheme, I need to start digging for inspiration.

Last edited:
Now to decide on a color scheme, I need to start digging for inspiration.
26123003442_b6c5b308e5_b.jpg

I'm thinking something like this

What you really want to do is put threaded lamp rod in the center. This allows you to use a nut/washer (also in electrical dept. in big box store) and have a plenum to run wires down to do an airstart. Get real clever and you can do both airstart and dual-deploy from the same mid-body compartment :).

View attachment 286992

Aik2wu4.jpg

Well, just checked and the Marsa won't fit in the rear AV bay where Tim had the Raven (but he probably knew that...). So if I want air starts instead of all or nothing, gonna have to get the add-ons for the Marsa (which I've been intending to do...) and cut it for an AV bay. Or I could just give up on the air starts I guess...

Adrian

Well, just checked and the Marsa won't fit in the rear AV bay where Tim had the Raven (but he probably knew that...). So if I want air starts instead of all or nothing, gonna have to get the add-ons for the Marsa (which I've been intending to do...) and cut it for an AV bay. Or I could just give up on the air starts I guess...

Could just build a full size av-bay and attach it ahead of the motor mount unit. Just make that threaded rod about 6" longer out the top, slide the bay over it and bolt in place....or something of that nature. Would make motor backups impossible...but not a big deal with a MARSA riding along.

The more time goes on, the more I'm glad I went with a Raven for my primary altimeter. But it's hard to really figure out where anything is for this kit until I get mine.
How long are the motor tubes? And how long do they go into the forward body tube?

Are all LOC instructions this vague and confusing? Honestly, the instructions are probably worse than the ones I got with my PK3 and Painkiller micro.

-Hans

Last edited:
Could just build a full size av-bay and attach it ahead of the motor mount unit. Just make that threaded rod about 6" longer out the top, slide the bay over it and bolt in place....or something of that nature. Would make motor backups impossible...but not a big deal with a MARSA riding along.

Well, the way Tim built it, there is no option for motor deployment (yes this used to be dixontj93060's 4-29). So it's either an AV bay and the Marsa with goodies bluetoohed (teethed?) in, or see if the Minialt/WD fits in there and either do pairs or quads all up from the start. Either way it'll be fun, just gotta move it up the queue...

Adrian

Well, the way Tim built it, there is no option for motor deployment (yes this used to be dixontj93060's 4-29). So it's either an AV bay and the Marsa with goodies bluetoohed (teethed?) in, or see if the Minialt/WD fits in there and either do pairs or quads all up from the start. Either way it'll be fun, just gotta move it up the queue...

Adrian

MARSA gadgets might work well.

If you do a build thread, I will be watching with interest. I have been planning on running a section of automotive brake tubing down the side of the main tube and between two motor tubes (a la CJ's two stage setup) to handle all of the logic from the AV bay. Clearly, there are even more interesting options for me to consider!

Cheers,
Michael

Definitely going to do a build thread, as I strangely can't find one for this over 15 year old design.

I finished this about 2 weeks ago. Never thought of an air-start. :facepalm: Just do a relay system with high amps start for all 4 G-74-9 motors. I'll use a Jolly Logic Chute Release to bring it down a bit.

Anyone know how to rotate an image?!? :)

image.jpg

It's John Deere green! Adrian (jd2cyclman) will love it!

Ya know, as much of a JD fan that I am, I've never painted a rocket in those colors (I'm afraid with my luck, I'd lose it in green grass), despite having a lot of extra paint laying around...

I hope it will pull like a tractor! (She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy, Kenny Chesney)

Looks good. I was gonna comment on the whole JD color scheme thing last night, but fell asleep... :facepalm:

Adrian

Ya know, as much of a JD fan that I am, I've never painted a rocket in those colors (I'm afraid with my luck, I'd lose it in green grass), despite having a lot of extra paint laying around...

Looks good. I was gonna comment on the whole JD color scheme thing last night, but fell asleep... :facepalm:

Adrian

I am hoping that a bright yellow chute will help me find it. That and an Eggfinder... :wink:

My first HP rocket was painted in JD colors after I had paint left over from a tractor restoration I did. Flew it in spring at Geneseo which is an grass airfield. Lush green grass infested with bright yellow dandelions. Paint scheme was a bad idea.

Kit has arrived, build thread incoming, but I need a few days till I have time. Just got back from a trade show with all my pinball gear, and pretty much sold out of all my inventory of products ... so I'm in a bit of a pickle to fill the orders that are still rolling in.

When i get it started, I'll link it in this one, as I'll do a separate thread for the build

Back