Shout-out to rocketry friends...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
So... I've been back in the hobby for almost two years now, and I've got to say, I've made some fast friends. I've never met a better group of people all gathered in one place. With the current state of things, I figured a little positivity couldn't hurt... So here's a thread to post shoutouts to your rocketry buddies, great rocketry mentors, and fun rocketry memories.

I'm like you, only I just joined the hobby last June. Never met a better group of people. Mr. Bob at County Line Hobbies has been instrumental with his opinions, and willingness to share his knowledge with me. Jarhead (Tom) and I were instant friends. I'm amazed at how the group of guys I've met in Ft. Wayne and Three Oaks, and everywhere else, here included, are so willing to help and see their fellow rocketeers succeed.

My first shoutout goes to djs... Glen.
He contacted me via TRF shortly after I joined because he too had just gotten back into rocketry. We met up with our kids to launch some little Estes rockets. When one landed on a baseball backstop, he sent his son scrambling up to grab it. On the way back down, Glen tells his son, "just don't tell your mother."... Hilarious. Several months later when I met his wife, my wife immediately spilled the beans... They're now friends, too.
Early on, Glen and I talked about getting L1 in a couple months, maybe L2 in a couple years and L3 when we retire. We talked about clustering, maybe staging, and someday mixing EX motors. Today, I'm nearing my L3, he's starting EX, he's got a two stager in the works, I've built a custom cluster, and we've both been L2 for awhile. He's always there "encouraging" me to go bigger, higher, faster. My wallet hates him, my wife rolls her eyes every time we get together, but honestly, he's a great guy. If you don't know him, you should.

Hey,,
Not a bad idea Erik...
I went to a QCRS launch last year and was impressed by more pay forward people then I can count...
It was MWP....
I had such a memorable time I intend to go back again this year...
If I try to name people I know I'll miss some,,
but you,, Justin F,, Jason,, Adrian,, all show a helpful pay forward selfless attitude that's just beyond belief...
Justin spent the entire launch behind a camera so that there'd be a video of the launch,,
the rest of you stood manning the LCO bench and mike for the entire launch...
It's people like all of you that make traveling to a launch more then worthwhile.....

I sincerely thank you all...

Teddy

Wow! Where to begin, ...

Oh, yeah, SODMIESTER, first and foremost!
Praise be to Him, but after that, folks like JeromeK99, Sooner Boomer, Cavecentral, Hball55, Tfish, Kyle that gave me the two DRTs' that I still need to build...Rocketguy101, Bradycros, Micromiester,....
KidRocket, for actually completing a TALOS!!
I'm totally thankful for everything I learn from you guys!

I likely missed more than a few, but it is a spontaneous shout out thread, so I'm sorry, but I know I thanked the folks that really backed me up and provided me with real guidance and materials. You can count on these guys in my Book.
Thanks.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention L.W. Bercini. He hooked me up on the NC for my Eggspress clone.

View attachment 286861

Last edited:
TopRamen got me into fiberglassing! That has been great too, even extending beyond rocketry.

Thanks, much.

TopRamen got me into fiberglassing! That has been great too, even extending beyond rocketry.

Thanks, much.

So technically you can blame JeromeK99 too.:wink:

Family tree of Glass, and I keep spreading the Good Word.:headbang:

CroosfireIFG24 2002-12-31 002.jpgGammonInternalBRGlass5oz. 2002-12-31 002.jpg24mmMDTRI 2015-04-25 001.jpgEggspress 24mm Assembled 60% 2015-04-07 004.jpg

Last edited:
Griffin...
My first launch at Tripoli Wisconsin, I carried an empty AT29/40-120 into Tim's trailer and asked, "what's the biggest motor I can fit in this thing?" He handed me a G64 and I left, ready to fly it in my Loc Lil Nuke that I had from 16 years earlier. When I opened it, I had to idea how to make a motor, so I asked the guy camped next to me for help. Griffin say down with me and my parents and wife and kids and built the motor for me, sharing every tip one should know. Took time out of his launch day to help a perfect stranger... When that rocket fired, I was hooked, instantly.
Griffin told me about TRF and QCRS, and had answered every stupid question I've had and then some. He's loaned me trackers and casings and on and on. He's always smiling, even when snarky, just hands off his truck... Seriously, as long as he remembers his quicklinks, he's always in a good mood. I was lucky to meet him at my first launch back because he's made my return to rocketry easier than it could've been. Another guy that, if you don't know him, you absolutely should.

Alan Hammond (for the ride to the launch last September), Wilson Alness (for certifying me), Rob Appleton (for the duct tape, motors and the support), Ed Harrison (for all the help, and keeping in touch with me here in China), basically just about everybody at OROC for their support. Mike Fisher (Binder Design) for all his help, and all the info he's shared with me. Mark (Stickershock) for all his help with all my decal needs, Landru (for the nosecone to OFFL).

Vern Estes, Gene Street, Mike Dorffler, John Boren, and everybody at Estes for their inspiring designs, and excellent customer service.

Doug Bertelsen, LW Bercini, and my anonymous contributor to the Cineroc project.

KenECoyote and everybody else who has scanned things for me for my .ork files thread.

And Many, Many More!

Thanks!

That's easy, without a doubt it would be Al Gloer and Rick Comshaw in CT. I remember the first time I met them at a CATO launch un Durham. I showed up with a bag of LOC Onyx and a CTI 3grain case and I wanted to ask a few questions about the build. Both of those "gentlemen" helped me immensely then and in the years to come. I miss being at the launches with them, hopefully our paths will cross at a future launch somewhere.

back at CZTeacherman- When I first saw Erik's little Nuke- you could see the pride he had put into constructing it. While the Little Nuke has since returned to the heavens, it showed me I could do a lot more with rockets. Thanks to Erik for teaching me about the wonders of fiberglass, how to epoxy, trackers, how to paint (not that I do it that well, but I do it better than before), and answering all my stupid DD questions. Plus he's a good friend to have at the launch- to celebrate our successes (first mile! L1! first mach!) and our losses (the aforementioned Little Nuke, my Hawk rocket that is lost forever in the Bong swamps). It was amazing to me to find someone on the forum who not only lives nearby me, but we have quite a bit in common- politics, our kids are about the same age, rockets, similar backgrounds, rockets. After we met the first time, my wife asked me "what's his wife like?" My answer to her was "honestly, she's a lot like you". It's good to find friends like this. Finally, Erik is willing to put up with my crazy ideas about vmaxes, and more vmaxes.

Somewhere I have a picture from a bong launch. My wife was having trouble getting a an E reload to light for her QCC Explorer. In this picture are Crazy Jim working on the ignitor, Rex R working on the grains themselves, and about 3-4 other people offering their advice. This to me exemplifies the community that we should always hopefully promote- everyone helping everyone. Despite my "toilet liberation front" type posts (which actually do have a point, despite the bizarreness of them), I only hope I can give back to the community that always gives so much to me and my family.

Next up, JD2Cylman (Adrian)
As I was getting ready to attend my first MWP, I posted a question asking what I should bring with to a launch. I'd never been to a larger, multi-day launch... Adrian offered up his old EZ-Up. Just the first of many kindnesses...
As we got to talking, it turns out that I taught his son in summer school. His son, of course, did a speech on rocketry which led to my returning to the hobby. A small world, indeed. Last spring, at Mini-MWP, I watched Adrian get his L3 on a gorgeous flight, and as we were talking, I mentioned that me getting L3 would just take a long time since I didn't have the resources to fund it... He offered to let me build one of his extra kits laying around. I build and fly it, get my L3, he gets a rocket built. WHAT?! Who does that?! Adrian, that's who... Of course, we poke fun at him for being slow to build rockets (and he IS slow at building), but it's because he's always busy working, being a great father, and being a dedicated family member. And when he does build, he's meticulous. His builds are great, they've survived the Bong despite dips in the swamp... That says a lot...
There are LOTS of great people here on TRF, but Adrian is one of the absolute best. I could share all kinds of stories of Adrian, more than you would ever care to read, just suffice to say that he's a fantastic fellow, a giving guy, and a caring comrade.

Robert DeHate and Gloria Robinson (AMW-ProX). They are my onsite vendor, advisers, certifiers, and friends.

Ted Chernok (One Bad Hawk), always smiling and warm whenever I see him, and great product, too.

Scott Szympruch, for making me feel welcome at MDRA and helping me whenever I need it.

Tom Cohen for introducing me to BIG rockets, and general nice-guy-ness.

Aerotech, Giant Leap, and MAC Performance for designing the kits I certified 1, 2, and 3 on.

That's easy, without a doubt it would be Al Gloer and Rick Comshaw in CT. I remember the first time I met them at a CATO launch un Durham. I showed up with a bag of LOC Onyx and a CTI 3grain case and I wanted to ask a few questions about the build. Both of those "gentlemen" helped me immensely then and in the years to come. I miss being at the launches with them, hopefully our paths will cross at a future launch somewhere.

+1 to Al and Rick and I'd add you to that list, Jarrett. I can attest that CATO members have always been very supportive and helpful. The first time I met Al, he gave me a walkthrough on the CATO launch protocol, then said "Now go fly a rocket so we can have something to laugh at you about." That, and Karen giving me a CATO Chute for joining the club made me feel not only welcome but part of the family right from the start. You guys are always complimentary of my builds and encouraging my projects.

Someone we're all familiar with, Tim Wildman Lehr...
My first launch back as a BAR, Tim sold me a G64 to punch my Lil Nuke, and it hooked me. Over the past two years, Tim has become much more than just a vendor. Anyone who's had personal dealings with Tim knows that he'll go above and beyond every chance he gets. He's helped me countless times on countless builds. When I sat talking to him about wanting to do L2, his response was, "You know, I've got a 3" Darkstar all packaged up and ready to go if you want it." It was the last of the old, heavy FG, which was perfect for what I wanted... He gave it to me for a steal of a deal. I was getting in way over my head, but between phone calls to Tim and CJ's legendary build thread, I got it built. Mark's (StickerShock) decals made it the DarkoStar, and it's since been to 12,000+. Tim's been generous with his help, his advice, and his home. I'd like to think I've gained a friend in Tim. AND... Anyone that knows, knows that you can't really mention Tim without mentioning Jackie. It's always great to see her at launches, to sit and chat between rockets. She tolerates our razzing of Tim with a wry smile and the occassional chuckle. I've never met a more hospitable family.
One of my favorite stories about Tim... I made mention that I'd like to fly my V2 Sport on an H399. I was joking. Tim didn't laugh, he told me to do it... Tim offered to give me the motor for free if I flew it and did it that day. I tried, but alas, I couldn't hollow out the noseweight I had put in... After a couple months of mild harrassing, I finally had it ready to go. Had it not been for Tim's "encouragement" and Glen's outright harassament, I never would've done it. But I did, and that video still makes me chuckle whenever I need a pick-me-up.
[video=youtube;qL2YG9Jzsuc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL2YG9Jzsuc[/video]
Again, I could share a million more stories about Tim... I'm just damn lucky to live within an hour of QCRS and Bong so I get to see him 2-3 times a month.

BTW, I guess everyone knows that Al was banned from TRF, and that they dropped Karen's CATO chutes ad. He's over at the Rocketry Center, now.

if it is the reload I think it is...I think that we suggested the BBQ as a burnt offering to the deities :)(looks like I've got a reload kit like that). most rocket folks I have met, have figured out that it is a LOT more fun when everyone is having fun. if you're one of those folks, Thank you.
Rex

I think that the only forum member I know in real life would be Mike Fisher. There may be a few more Oregon rocketeers that I have bumped into - I met K'Tesh once and I know Wilson Alness from emails - but nobody I know well. Mike was one of the first people I met when I got into HPR around the turn of the century. He is also responsible for my recent foray into 12"+ diameter rockets - what can you say when somebody tells you "You should build a really big rocket with your rocket club students and I will build you a motor"?

Next up, JD2Cylman (Adrian)
Humility snipage... :blush::blush:

Awe geese dude. Thanks a bunch. There are several people I owe a LOT to. Wildman, of course, Jason and Steve (Hot Tub I & II), Justin Farrand Chuck Haskin accepted me into QCRS with open arms. Tim Dixon, and Gus,can't forget Gus.. (he won't let me)...
Eric Cayemberg, Russ Westergaard and Mark Hackler from cheddar land... My buddy Steve Piette was a big help in the early years and more importantly last summer when he was stuck in an emergency room in Wisconsin with my 7yr old boy for THREE HOURS!!!! THANKS A LOT Steve!
There was this guy I met at my first organized launch named Bob Kaplow who helped me out too. I don't think he ever stops by here, but thanks to Bob and several other NIRA club people like Ric Gaff and Ken Hutchinson who were a hoot to be around. This is a hobby where everyone at a launch is always willing to stop what they are doing and help you out, or at least get back to you before it's too late...
So I'm sure I missed somebody and to you I apologize, but as I'm turning 50 this year, the old memory ain't what it used to be... CRS is gettin worse...

Adrian

Ok, here is my list.

I will start with Darrell Mobley. For initially creating ROL, which helped me a lot as I started in HPR. Then later for making me a moderator of RP, which have me a platform to help many others. RIP Darrell

John Coker for his excellent website, and for Thrustcurve. Then later for making me the editor of Thrustcurve, which gave me another avenue to help the community.

My Rocket buds Kevin Harnack, Justin Farrand (rfjustin), Carl VanCamp (cvanc), and Ed Dewey. They are my go to guys when I need to bounce something off of someone else. Carl, Kevin, and I also make a pretty damn fine recovery team. Ed does not fly anymore ( we are working on that), and was one of the first TAPS.

and Gus,can't forget Gus.. (he won't let me)...
Adrian

Ohhhh....that's SO nice of you...:eek:

That's because i've been stalking you from the first time i heard about you here...:D
Your one of those people i really like because of your abilities away from the field with all things mechanical...never afraid to cut, weld, fabricate to make something work- Like i do.

HINT to the world of Model Rocketry- This year by far has been the worst one for me in ALONG time... With EVERYONE launching on Saturdays and, my work schedule being Monday-Saturday-
It has seriously curtailed my abilities to just be there, to Certify fellow rocketeers from L1-L3 and, just in general "Spread my Love" with all of you. That and, losing our High Altitude field...

I miss alot of you guys...:sigh:

My shout outs would include 99% of the people i have met over the past 12 years but, mostly one young Sabrina Sager-:eek:

Because, i see a spark in that one and, i will do anything and, everything to help that one out...I think alot of you know i've been known to drop everything and, do just that. There's a 600Hp Camaro hiding in my shop that says i can be anywhere, anytime in a rather quick way.

:eek::eek::eek: How fast is that Camaro Gusman-:confused::confused::confused:

So fast, that if what the neighborhood kids are saying is true- It's faster than your Momma and, that's REALLY fast...;)

Last edited:
Gary Buck and Dr. David Reese both from far away states, one literally and one figuratively.

Last edited:
Gary Buck and Dr. David Reese both from far away states, one literally and one figuratively.

That's it! How could I forget Dr Reese????? I knew I forgot somebody. See, that CRS is kicking in more and more... Dr Dave is an incredibly smart guy. Always fun to have a conversation with.

Adrian

Back