Sport Rocketry inspiring Steampunking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketGeekInFL

Reaction score
How many were inspired to try Steampunking a kit after reading this months Sport Rocketry?

I am seriously giving it some consideration.

I just don't have the patience. I can't even get smooth fillets. But I loved the article and thought the rockets were very cool, although I had seen some of them right here beforehand.

How many were inspired to try Steampunking a kit after reading this months Sport Rocketry?

I am seriously giving it some consideration.

Been doing Steampunking for several years, Some very Nicely done models. While the article covered most of the various fasits of the genre it failed to talk about rolling your own mini piping and fittings, so nothing really new in the whole article.
Glad to see Sprot Rocketry publishing something other then HPR stuff though.

I thought it was great. Been doing steam punk for a little while and really like it. Jeff (AKA Fatboy) inspired me to try when I saw one of his rockets at a launch. My son and I were both very impressed.

I think the rockets are cool but for the amount of time spent and the details involved, I'd be afraid to launch one. To me, more a show piece.

I really liked the article and it gave me too many ideas. All I have to do is find the time and have fun doing it.

Steampunking isn't everyone's cup of tea. But for those of us who like it, we like it a lot. IMHO, if you like steampunking, or are curious about it, this was an excellent article about it.

Steampunk always makes me think of reading Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft. I don't think I'm ever going to not enjoy that :D

I think the rockets are cool but for the amount of time spent and the details involved, I'd be afraid to launch one. To me, more a show piece.

Here in Minnesota we only fly 1 or 2 days a month, so that leaves a lot of extra days each month to build stuff like that! A few more...

IMG_20160403_140042_386-1.jpg

View 1.jpg

I don't have the patience. I had seen some of them right here beforehand.
I guess ya have to work it and then set it down for awhile. I love the look ,but lack the patience to start and COMPLETE one thru. I do have an Estes Silver Comet I started about (?) years ago. I look at it once in awhile and just say no. :lol:
Also, to me anywhoo, its like listening to a rock n roll lead riff, if they (steampunker)mess up, who's gona know the differents :confused:

Last edited:
Well, I loved the article! I had not seen anything to this degree in model rocketry. To me it is like flying art. That's what so neat about rocketry, there are so many ways you can go. You build what you like and they fly also. It's no different than scale or going for altitude. All avenues take degrees of skill, time and money. You have to go for what interest that you have and what matches your budget. You have to remember that we all don't drive the same brand of car or marry the same kind of girl. Is your opinion or interest better than mine or is mine better than yours. No, we need to respect what each one of us finds to do. Just because I may may not want to do a particular area in rocketry does not mean that I would not want to see and read about what someone else is doing. You need to do what turns your crank and respect others for the crank they chose to turn. We all enjoy Building rockets.

Been doing Steampunking for several years, Some very Nicely done models. While the article covered most of the various fasits of the genre it failed to talk about rolling your own mini piping and fittings, so nothing really new in the whole article.
Glad to see Sprot Rocketry publishing something other then HPR stuff though.

Well it might have been nothing new to you, but I found it very interesting and informative. In fact, it caused me to grab a plain old blue Big Bertha that had been sitting in my fleet for some time without being flown. I took it and converted it to a steampunk format. It was a lot of fun. I hope to get it into the air at the next club launch.

How about you enlighten the rest of us about rolling your own piping and fittings. I'd like to try that out. I plan on give a couple of my other rockets the steampunk treatment soon.

Back