Adhesive Use Chart

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
M50_adhesive_chart_big.png

You can use specially formulated 2 part epoxy on plastic.

Interesting.
I don't think the chart had aerospace applications in mind when it was made, as Ca is certainly meant for paper.

Tons of omissions in there. Does not show CA or epoxy for wood to wood or balsa to balsa. Does not show contact adhesive for foam to plastic or rubber to rubber, epoxy for foam to foam.

Styrofoam is used as too general of a term for foam in this chart: EPP foam works well with regular CA.

Chart does not allow for foam safe CA.

Chart does not mention solvent type adhesives for plastic to plastic.

And that is from from 30 seconds of consideration. Bound to be dozens more omissions.

silicone was invented for the space program to glue glass- amazing that it is not correctly listed for glass to glass, rubber, etc. I seriously think this chart is off.

The Copy of a Janes Book that I have about Missiles, actually came from an Adhesives Factory, and is specifically marked that it must not leave that Library. It's mine now. They don't print enough of them, but for those of us that need them, they are valuable.
Some books are prohibitively expensive to keep up with.:(

Tons of omissions in there. Does not show CA or epoxy for wood to wood or balsa to balsa. Does not show contact adhesive for foam to plastic or rubber to rubber, epoxy for foam to foam.

Styrofoam is used as too general of a term for foam in this chart: EPP foam works well with regular CA.

Chart does not allow for foam safe CA.

Chart does not mention solvent type adhesives for plastic to plastic.

And that is from from 30 seconds of consideration. Bound to be dozens more omissions.

Chart is so imcomplete as to not be worth downloading!
Sorry, the next time I find a chart that is bound to not include every possible combination, I won't bother to post it.

Sorry, the next time I find a chart that is bound to not include every possible combination, I won't bother to post it.

Then what will we have to complain about? OH! Can we gripe that you *didn't* post it? :tongue:

Not complaining about you posting it. Complaining about how incomplete it is.

It reads like a 15 year old craft glue usage chart from Hobby Lobby......

Perhaps it will spur someone to rework it to include omissions, other adhesives, etc.

Last edited:
https://na.henkel-adhesives.com/industrial/literature-6126.htm

Here's the REAL epoxy guide my bible. Hysol is what CTI used to glue aluminum fins on Carbon airframe and hit Mach 5. Just epoxy held fins on, no other re-enforcement. Every thing from that to the simplest CA is listed in PDF form. All were too large to post here. [even zip]

First PDF lists all products & what used for in general. Other PDF's more product specific. If you need anything specialized...they got. Particularly aero-space. Grab a drink, read during TV commercial & be prepared to learn a bunch.

You can order just about anything in smaller sizes...we get syringes of adhesive from distributers

Everything on the page you would EVER want to glue to something else. 3m is the other bible source for me

Last edited:
https://na.henkel-adhesives.com/industrial/literature-6126.htm

Here's the REAL epoxy guide my bible. Hysol is what CTI used to glue aluminum fins on Carbon airframe and hit Mach 5. Just epoxy held fins on, no other re-enforcement. Every thing from that to the simplest CA is listed in PDF form. All were too large to post here. [even zip]

First PDF lists all products & what used for in general. Other PDF's more product specific. If you need anything specialized...they got. Particularly aero-space. Grab a drink, read during TV commercial & be prepared to learn a bunch.

You can order just about anything in smaller sizes...we get syringes of adhesive from distributers

Everything on the page you would EVER want to glue to something else. 3m is the other bible source for me

That link is GREAT resource CJ.

Here is the direct link to the Henkel Adhesive Sourcebook 2015 Volume 19 .pdf file (7.44 MB):

https://na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/content_data/382071_LT3355_ASB_v19_2015.pdf

Greg

I thought it was posted simply to inspire debate, as we rocket folk are SO incredibly particular about things like adhesives.

Back