Help! OpenRocket keeps quitting unexpectedly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
Get this notice more often then not when I close an OR design window. Not too big an issue, as often I meant to close the program anyway, but it can be annoying when I have more then one file open as all of them will obviously close. Any idea what could be causing this? Pretty sure Java is up to date.

OR v15.03, OS X 10.11.4

Edit: Seems to be related to 3D views. See post #2 & 3.

Last edited:
On my Mac I have found that the problem which causes the crashing is the 3D views of the rocket (not the photo studio, the view at the bottom of the main window. As long as I stick with the 2D side view or back view I haven't had a problem.

Not having the 3D views is annoying. In place of it, I keep the photo studio open at all times.

On my Mac I have found that the problem which causes the crashing is the 3D views of the rocket (not the photo studio, the view at the bottom of the main window. As long as I stick with the 2D side view or back view I haven't had a problem.

Not having the 3D views is annoying. In place of it, I keep the photo studio open at all times.

Yes I see what you mean. It's at the point where OR will quit all the time if I dare to use a 3D view. Can the OR team take a look at it please? As someone who uses the 3D views all the time to aid in designing this is quite annoying!

I attached a .log file that is automatically generated when OR quits in case it helps.

View attachment hs_err_pid7660.log.zip

My 3-D views will cause a crash as well. It ran great under windows 8, updated to 10 and no longer works. Tried updating Java, that didn't help. I sent a bug report to Java, but they most likely will blame source forge. Of course, it couldn't possibly be Windows 10, the only thing that was changed.:wink: I'll post if I get anything back.

Just thought I'd agree with you guys. I'm a Mac guy, and I love OR. But it will crash every time I switch to the standard 2D view from the 3D view. I have learned to live with the nuisance because it is freeware. But the 3D view is one of my favorite features in OR, and it is one of the design elements that make me prefer it to RockSim. It sure would be nice if someone could fix this bug.

Hmm, it works just fine for me on Mac OS X 10.11.5 and Open Rocket 15.03. I'm on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with an i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB VRAM.

Maybe try making sure your Java version is up to date:

https://www.java.com/en/

And if you have a NVIDIA card, make sure you have the latest CUDA drivers:

https://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

It would be interesting to know if you all have on-board graphics or a discrete card. I'm having more trouble lately with computers that don't have a separate video card choking on apps with a lot of graphics. The fact that switching to 3D view in Windows 10 also causes a crash means it is likely not OS related but either JAVA or hardware related. If so hopefully the developers will figure it out.

On the Mac you can go to Apple Menu > About this Mac to find out your system specs. The overview tab will show the Graphics type.

Also post what CPU is listed there as well.

Tony

Last edited:
I have a 2009 17" macbook pro that OR always crashes when I leave the 3d view to go to any other view. Java is up to date but the video drivers are old. I just don't use the 3D until I've saved the drawing and am about done. OR shuts itself down LOL.:surprised:

OR uses another open source package (JOGL) for rendering 3D views. The current version of JOGL has a known issue on Mac OS X that was indicated in the log file attached by the original poster. That issue was fixed last November but the maintainers of JOGL have not released a new version that incorporates the fix, so it can't (easily) be included in the OR distribution. Hopefully they will soon and OR can release an updated version.

Doug

Thanks, Manixfan. i went into my nvidia panel and there's a slider for performance vs. quality. slid that over towards quality, and the problem disappeared. If this slows down my gaming, I can always slide it the other way. Just tickled to have the 3-D rendering back in OR. I'll look for new Nvidia drivers later.

OR uses another open source package (JOGL) for rendering 3D views. The current version of JOGL has a known issue on Mac OS X that was indicated in the log file attached by the original poster. That issue was fixed last November but the maintainers of JOGL have not released a new version that incorporates the fix, so it can't (easily) be included in the OR distribution. Hopefully they will soon and OR can release an updated version.

Doug
Good info, thanks for that. I hope the new fix gets incorporated soon for those who need it.

Tony

I also Have A similar problem but it isn't related to the 3D view it only crashes when I try to open the photo studio. here is my system info

Ram: 1GB
Java Version: Java 8 Update 111 (build 1.8.0_111-b14)

here is the debug log in a txt file:View attachment Open Rocket Bug Report.txt

Can anyone help?:(

Back