Filling Seams with Rust-oleum Filler Primer Brush On

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMJ

Reaction score
Hey All,

First post. I've built a couple LPRs and have been using Micromeister's primer method to fill seams. In short, I hit a rocket with 3 heavy coats of Rust-oleum 2 in 1 Filler Primer, sand, hit again with one light coat, final sand, then paint. Seams disappear. I'm working on a model now using the George Gassaway's "mask the seams first" method to conserve primer.

The full blast method works great but a can of primer only lasts 2 rockets depending on size. Rust-oleum makes a brush on version of the 2 in 1 filler primer. I'm wondering if it would work to fill seams prior to 1-2 spray coats?

Here's a link.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/primers/filler-primer-brush

Thoughts?

E.

Wow! No takers?

I already know my answer to spirals, lightweight glasscloth. Lighter than fillers and tons of primer, plus adds some strength.
I can't do all that sanding, as it aggravates my arthritis and nerve/sinew damage in my right hand.

that said, I have seen others here use your idea, and with good results.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Hey All,

First post. I've built a couple LPRs and have been using Micromeister's primer method to fill seams. In short, I hit a rocket with 3 heavy coats of Rust-oleum 2 in 1 Filler Primer, sand, hit again with one light coat, final sand, then paint. Seams disappear. I'm working on a model now using the George Gassaway's "mask the seams first" method to conserve primer.

The full blast method works great but a can of primer only lasts 2 rockets depending on size. Rust-oleum makes a brush on version of the 2 in 1 filler primer. I'm wondering if it would work to fill seams prior to 1-2 spray coats?

Here's a link.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/primers/filler-primer-brush

Thoughts?

E.

I've never seen that. Thanks for sharing. I might try it on one of my bigger builds coming up.

Well, this managed to get posted while I was out and about...

Good First Post! Welcome to TRF!

Nice idea! Another, related idea would be to decant some spray filler primer into a plastic cup. Just use a little squirt of the primer, then brush that in. Need more? Another squirt.

When I get back (to the US) to building again, I'll have to try it.

I've considered this in the past. I agree with your reasoning and would give it a try. It sounds like it could be a much simpler way to fill spirals. One review I saw online is that it's hard to mix inside the can, but I assume that can be worked out. I'd be interested to know how much this stuff smells; I've been banned from bringing wet sprayed objects into the house.

Some prefer the Duplicolor filler/primer and claim the Rusto doesn't sand well; that hasn't been my experience. I find that if I carefully take off the top heavy layer with 220 grit it comes off quickly and easily, then I focus on the 400 sanding which can go through some sandpaper but not awful.

If you do this let us know how it goes!

What works for me is to give the entire rocket a medium-wet coat of Rusto Automotive Filler primer (NOT the 2 in 1), then, after that tack dries, follow the spirals and seams with directed squirts of primer. I usually do two "coats" of this. It makes heavy coats on the spirals, seams. Let dry overnight (it's humid in Indiana...) then sand down. Anything not filled by that gets either bondo/3m glazing putty or Tamiya putty or in some cases Carpenter's Wood Filler... depends on the situation.

Went around and priced this locally. A quart runs between $21 and $28. Probably cheaper than spray can equivalent, but still, pricy. Especially when just on the other aisle (at least in Walmart) is Kilz or Zinsser high build primer for $7 to $8 a quart.

Back