Missleworks RRC2 question - beeping altitude at power up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
I flew a DD rocket with an RRC3 for primary and RRC2 as backup.
When I powered up the RRC3 - no issue - after the power up sequence - Atl beeped the 3 beeps. When I powered up the RRC2 however the alt
Beeped an altitude - not the repeating 3 beeps. Anyone had this issue before?

My main came out at apogee not the drogue. Currently I don't have the rocket but hope to retrieve soon so that is all the information I have. But I think the RRC2 backup had something to do with poping the main. Both drogue and main were shear pinned and charges were extensively tested. I am speculating at this point. But still wondering why it did not do the 3 continuity beeps and I know there was continuity in both drogue and main backups - tested the charges at 1.1 ohms on both primary and back ups

Thanks for your input

Have you flown the RRC2 before? Was it beeping out a previous altitude, or something completely different?

After a single beep, it gives the last altitude. It then does battery voltage. Then it does the continuity checks.

Last edited:
It starts with the last altitude. It then does battery voltage. Then it does the continuity checks.

The reason why I asked my question is that I've had an RRC2 think there was a launch when I was testing it on my bench (no charges attached). It would beep out a previous altitude, but it would be something like 42 feet. This can be a little confusing if you don't realize what it was doing.

Yes I've flown both in same rocket 1 time before and both functioned properly. The RRC3 powered up much quicker and went to 3 beeps. Didn't know that it beeped the last altitude , the RRC2 kept beeping the altitude and didn't go into the 3 beeps for at least the time I was at the pad.

Maybe there is no issue, just remember going to ready mode much quicker. Powered it up a couple times before taking it to the pad and it went to 3 beeps after the normal power up.

The RRC2's that I have used take a long time to beep continuity.

Which RRC2? There was the rev a, b,c, d. There was a RRC2 mini I think, and now the RRC2+

The reason why I asked my question is that I've had an RRC2 think there was a launch when I was testing it on my bench (no charges attached). It would beep out a previous altitude, but it would be something like 42 feet. This can be a little confusing if you don't realize what it was doing.

If you were using a LiPo battery it would make sense....beeping out voltage of 4.2 If not ...oh well.LOL

Didn't know that it beeped the last altitude , the RRC2 kept beeping the altitude and didn't go into the 3 beeps for at least the time I was at the pad.

Possibility it was beeping error codes, THAT will keep repeating. If there is no continuity [3 beeps for both apogee & main]....DON'T fly it!

Also the is a power "saver" feature many don't realize [that don't read the manual..LOL] after powering up at pad, after five minutes, it stops beeping continuity & only beeps once [1] every 15 seconds , till launch.
5 minutes goes by faster than you think, by the time both altimeters are armed. igniter hooked up, pics taken,helping another flier, or just the usual pad bs.. 5 minutes has come & gone!

From manual:
Reading the Beeps/Blinks
When you first power up the RRC2+, it will beep for 1 second. After a short pause, the RRC2+ will beep the last altitude
flown on its previous flight. Next the altimeter will beep battery voltage (volts, then 1/10th volts). The RRC2+ then goes
through the POST (Power On Self Test). If a fault is detected during the POST, the RRC2+ will beep out a fault code (see
the POST Mode Section), otherwise it beeps continuity readiness pre-launch and after landing will beep out the altitude.
On the pad, with your ejection charges connected to the drogue and main terminals you will have the following beeps/blinks
for continuity (everything is hooked up correct and GO for flight) every 5 seconds:
Drogue only 1 beep repeating every 5 seconds
Main only 2 beeps repeating every 5 seconds
Drogue and Main 3 beeps repeating every 5 seconds (for Dual Deploy)
No charges 1 Long beep (ride along only, and nothing hooked up)
.................................................................................................................................................................................

After 5 minutes of beeping continuity, the RRC2+ will switch into power saving mode, conserving your battery for
flight operations. You will hear 1 short beep every 15 seconds during power saving mode as it waits for launch.

..................................................................................................................................................................................

I'm just as guilty about reading manual's...usually waiting to do so when I have an issue. Reading first will alleviate that.....yeah I knowLOL

Error code are hard to hear with the usual noise at pads, the low tone buzz is easily missed;

POST Mode Fault Codes
Codes are preceded by a very distinct warning tone (7 very quick low beeps), followed by the beeping/flashing of the fault.
DO NOT FLY THE RRC2+ until the fault or warning is resolved and corrected.
Code Fault
1 Ambient Barometric Fault / Unstable conditions during Launch Commit Test
2 Barometric sensor Fault / No communication reply
3 Barometric sensor Fault / Prom CRC Mismatch
4 Barometric pressure Fault / Pressure < 10 mbar or > 1200 mbar
5 Temperature Fault / Temperature < -40 deg. C or > 85 deg. C
6 I/O Line Fault

Last edited:
Back