Issues Getting Comp to Recognize Missle Works Dongle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Reaction score
I have downloaded every dang driver I can find and I can't get my computer to recognize the USB device. I'm running Windows 7, Pro 64bit. The CDM file listed in the manual isn't on MWs website that I can find but I found alternatives that should have worked. Anyone else have this issue? Alt is a RRC3 but I never get far enough for that to matter...

I'm having the same issue with mine. I emailed Jim at MW (who is very helpful, btw) and he suggested it might be a bad dongle. I'm going to test my setup out with CZteacherman's dongle tonight to see if my dongle is broken or not. What's strange is that my dongle worked before, and somehow decided to stop working recently. I'll let you know the results.

.. and yes, I do realize how some people with filthy minds might misread my dongle comments above, but I'm leaving them in there :)

I giggle like the immature adult that I am every time I say, type or read the word "dongle." :roll::roll::roll:

Yeah, let me know what you find. I just picked this one up used so hopefully I didn't get the wrong end of the gamble....

Yeah, let me know what you find. I just picked this one up used so hopefully I didn't get the wrong end of the gamble....

You picked up a used dongle?! Last time I did that, I got a rash that wouldn't go away.

FYI- mine won't even generate a COM port in my computer. I installed the software, tried several different cables, no joy.

My issues start before that. My computer won't even recognize the USB device to even assign a port...

Capture.png

I have 3 USB ports on my laptop. Two ports work, one never does whether Missileworks or Perfectflite. A conflict or port range problem I expect. So you might try other ports.

I have 3 USB ports on my laptop. Two ports work, one never does whether Missileworks or Perfectflite. A conflict or port range problem I expect. So you might try other ports.

I tried all 3 ports on my laptop, plus 2 ports on another laptop. I tried swapping cables (thinking it was a bogus cable), and a fresh install of mdacs and the usb->com driver on both computers. Also tried various combinations of the usb-io on and off, plugged and unplugged. No joy.

I tried all 3 ports on my laptop, plus 2 ports on another laptop. I tried swapping cables (thinking it was a bogus cable), and a fresh install of mdacs and the usb->com driver on both computers. Also tried various combinations of the usb-io on and off, plugged and unplugged. No joy.

We'll try my dongle in all your ports. If that doesn't work, we'll just use it in mine.

Update- CZteacherman came over with his dongle. After testing it in a few ports, it worked perfectly. My dongle, however does not. It's a little disheartening to not even be 40 years old and have dongle issues, but I guess it could happen to anyone.

Update- CZteacherman came over with his dongle. After testing it in a few ports, it worked perfectly. My dongle, however does not. It's a little disheartening to not even be 40 years old and have dongle issues, but I guess it could happen to anyone.

I hate it when my dongles dangle is all wrong or worse doesn't work...:blush:

I hate it when my dongles dangle is all wrong or worse doesn't work...:blush:

All my dongle does is dangle. it's supposed to jingle jangle when I wrangle with it and try to get it to dingle. Now I just want to strangle and mangle.

Ok, I'll stop now

My dongle jingles, jangles, and occasionally just dangles. Luckily it dongles just fine when called upon to do so. It even dangles its dongle in Glen's ports once we tried the other port.

I'm not even sure what we're talking about any more :)

Anyway- back to the original question- I sent my results of my testing to Jim at Missile works. We'll see what he says.

fyrfytr310- do you have access to someone else's USB I/O to test with?

Hey hey! We are in business. Turns out there is nothing wrong with my dongle (don't ask my wife or if you do, don't tell me her response). Jim at MW was kind enough to work with me for about 15 minutes trying different drivers, comparing to other altimeter systems I have etc, etc. Then I finally though out loud, "Hmm... I wonder if it could be the Mini-USB cable." So I dug one out of my cable stash and whadaya know? It fired right up!

Problem solved and one junk cable removed from the pile.

Old post, but I can't seem to connect to the Dongle I just got from Tim.
Tim, did yous sell me a dinky dongle!?

I think I've got another mini usb cable I'll try out tomorrow.

Old post, but I can't seem to connect to the Dongle I just got from Tim.
Tim, did yous sell me a dinky dongle!?

I think I've got another mini usb cable I'll try out tomorrow.
No, it works. I tested it thoroughly. Jim Amos may have updates to his firmware to make this easier, but for the three RRC3's I had, you need a very specific sequence to connect.

1. No power connection to RRC3.
2. Dongle connection to RRC3 with switch set to off.
3. Plug dongle into first RRC3, then computer USB.
4. Start Missileworks mDACs.
5. Select COM port (usually the highest, but not always).
6. Hit Connect button on mDACs program.
7. Note counter starting at 20s. When counter reaches 17s turn on dongle board (but no later than 16s).
8. If timing is right, RRC3 will connect.
9. If not, turn off dongle, exit mDACs program. Restart mDACs and proceed with step 5 (may be different COM port) or step 6, may have missed connect window between 17s and 16s.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Rocketry Forum mobile app

are any lights on..on the RC3?

if not, unplug and plug it back in when your connection has failed..

Tony

No lights on the RRC3, two blinking reds on the dongle.

I was using the connection sequence from the mDac manual. I'll give these a shot tomorrow. Thanks folks!

I think its a driver issue.
Which is weird because I thought if you had Perfectflite drivers datacap working, the drivers were supposed to work as well.

I get nothing on the Comm port dropdown. Comm port.PNGerror.PNGusb.PNG

Ok, cheap chinese 808 camera cables are bad for connection. I have feeling I should have known this, but oh well.

All looks good now!

Everyone learns this the hard way eventually. Invest in a good quality cable and you can use the rest for battery chargers. Kurt

I just had to dig out a legit one we used for my old IREC team's Entacore Aim 3 (ferrite bead and everything!). I knew I should have used that one to start with, but the camera cables were right next to the coffee table........

I've already snooped through Tim's 8 flights that he left onboard! (What were those? Precision 1 mile attempts?)

And just for full disclosure, it will likely be referred to as the Dixon Dinky Dongle for a long as its in my possession.

Back