Introducing BlackAero

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLKKROW

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have decided to take the plunge and become a vendor. With this plunge I have added the belt clip/attachment point accessory for the Eggfinder LCD case. This accessory will be on sale until 04/20/2015 so get it now and save a few dollars.

If you want to get to know me please visit the About Me section of my website. Also, please understand every purchase you make helps put my wife who is studying Chemical Engineering and I through college.

Soon there will be more merchandise for every flier so stay subscribed to this thread. The item I am currently developing and testing are 3D printed Fin Guides, with a teaser below.

Thank you for your business and support!

Please note, the webstore is still very new and if you order more than one item you will be refunded the extra shipping charge.

www.BlackAero.com

20160312_202619.jpg

Last edited:
What are you doing for a Black Friday/Saturday sale?
(insert cute smiley emoticon here)

ssix

I loves me some fin guides!!!:w:

All the best to you and your venture!:clap:

Wait... you mean to tell me that your username is pronounced Black Aero?

So pronouncing it "Bee-Ell-Kay-Kroe" must have been wrong. -facepalm-

Wow that's really great Kyle..
I love the inovative thoughts and ideas...
Come up with something fresh and new for yourself...
Good for you Kyle...
I'll take a yellow Eggfinder case with a strap clip...
I'll be in contact with you...
All the best for you and your wife...

Teddy

Another great product.

I couldn't agree more Chuck,,
And he's figured out how to fill a niche that no one else is filling..
He's making something no one else does...
Good for you Kyle...

Teddy

Wow that's really great Kyle..
I love the inovative thoughts and ideas...
Come up with something fresh and new for yourself...
Good for you Kyle...
I'll take a yellow Eggfinder case with a strap clip...
I'll be in contact with you...
All the best for you and your wife...

Teddy

Another great product.

Thank you for the wonderful comments! I have more ideas in my head I just need the time to design them.

Fin guides will come out soon when I get my second printer. Followed by some more accessories for your Eggfinder products.

I had the opportunity to test a set of these guides on my current build, a Hurricane 38. I was just at the stage in my build where I was about to attach fins.
Folks, these things are great! Awesome design and super easy to use. I have made my own guides in the past or attached fins one at a time, what a time saver these are. Every builder needs some of these guides.
(And no, Kyle didn't tell me to say that)

Mike

I had the opportunity to test a set of these guides on my current build, a Hurricane 38. I was just at the stage in my build where I was about to attach fins.
Folks, these things are great! Awesome design and super easy to use. I have made my own guides in the past or attached fins one at a time, what a time saver these are. Every builder needs some of these guides.
(And no, Kyle didn't tell me to say that)

Mike

Thank you for your compliments! A long time ago I used to print out my fin guides and attach it to foam board and do all of that. After doing that few times, I decided to make something easier to use and something that gives repeatable and accurate results.

I will share a little more details about the fin guides. Right now I have plan on releasing guides for 38mm and 54mm for 3 and 4 finned rockets, thin and regular tubing.

Each set will designated for thin and the number of fins. These guides are designed to work with about 80-90% of fin shapes, such as clipped delta, swept back fins and traditional fins like on a Mongoose/Blackhawk.

Last edited:
Can the website be rated? Fortiguard web filtering software won't let me in to unrated websites.
Thanks
Greg

Let me look into this, this is the first time I heard of this. Do you need it as soon as possible? If so, I may just invoice you through PayPal before I can figure out the website. I apologize I am not the best at coding and may take me a bit to figure out.

I think I fixed it, but my host said it may take a little bit of time to reflect on your end.

Thank you for the heads up!

Last edited:
I have decided to take the plunge and become a vendor. With this plunge I have added the belt clip/attachment point accessory for the Eggfinder LCD case. This accessory will be on sale until 04/20/2015 so get it now and save a few dollars.

If you want to get to know me please visit the About Me section of my website. Also, please understand every purchase you make helps put my wife who is studying Chemical Engineering and I through college.

Soon there will be more merchandise for every flier so stay subscribed to this thread. The item I am currently developing and testing are 3D printed Fin Guides, with a teaser below.

Thank you for your business and support!

Please note, the webstore is still very new and if you order more than one item you will be refunded the extra shipping charge.

www.BlackAero.com

Do these fin guides come in pairs - fore and aft? You got the fore one covered, but there is lots of variation in size and shape on the aft end of the fin. Curious to see how you do this. Good idea, overall.

Do these fin guides come in pairs - fore and aft? You got the fore one covered, but there is lots of variation in size and shape on the aft end of the fin. Curious to see how you do this. Good idea, overall.

So I will include a 3D rendering of the product. They will be sold in pairs, so if you purchase 1 = 38mm Thin 4 Fin Fin Guide (That is what is pictured); then you will receive two of the guides. The work in the same manner as the typical foam board/fiberglass fin guides you get with most kits. Except these come with a lot more functionality.

The first thing you will notice is the deep channel for epoxy that way you do not accidentally epoxy your fin guide to the rocket. The fin guide also has stepped guides for different thicknesses of fins, for example the 38mm fin guides work with 1/16th and 3/32 fins. Now the hard part in explain is the different uses of the fin guide. A typical fin guide has the inner area for the fins, just like you see in use in the picture in the original post. It then has a section on the outside of the fin guide that can be used for swept back fins. The area where the fin guides are cut out are for fins that are orthogonal to the body tube; i.e. clipped delta fins.

If you have questions please let me know, hopefully soon I can have pictures of each scenario.

Finally, I wanted to let everyone know that once the sale is over on 04/20/2016 the price of the belt clip/attachment point will go up to $15.00 so place your order now to save close to 50%. This also means the price of the LCD Case + Lanyard/Attachment point will go up to $45.00.

FinGuide.jpg

I can get a picture up of my Hurricane with your guide holding the fins if you would like. When I quits raining I'll go grab it and snap a few.

I can get a picture up of my Hurricane with your guide holding the fins if you would like. When I quits raining I'll go grab it and snap a few.

Sure that would be much appreciated!

I am slowly making progress to get these release, this week has been insane with the amount of homework I had.

Here there are on my Hurricane 38:

View attachment 286683

View attachment 286681

View attachment 286682

View attachment 286680

These show how the guides set on a rocket with swept fins. In the last picture, the slot I am pointing at - that is one of six for delta fins that have an edge perpendicular to the BT. 3 for 1/16 fins and 3 for 3/32 fins. The guides will have to be turned around of course so the slots catch the fins. I looked through my fleet but didn't have any to use for an example, but think Patriot, Madcow Cowabunga or the forward fins on a Wildman Eagle Claw. In the 3rd and 4th pictures you see the stepped slots to accommodate both thickness of fins as well.

Hope this helps
Mike

These show how the guides set on a rocket with swept fins. In the last picture, the slot I am pointing at - that is one of six for delta fins that have an edge perpendicular to the BT. 3 for 1/16 fins and 3 for 3/32 fins. The guides will have to be turned around of course so the slots catch the fins. I looked through my fleet but didn't have any to use for an example, but think Patriot, Madcow Cowabunga or the forward fins on a Wildman Eagle Claw. In the 3rd and 4th pictures you see the stepped slots to accommodate both thickness of fins as well.

Hope this helps
Mike

Thanks again! Those are wonderful pictures!

Here are some pics of my LCD case, the belt clip is a great addition. Now I don't need three hands!

IMG_20160329_223648738.jpg
IMG_20160329_223655416.jpg

Yesterday was a day full of excitement and sadness.

The first thing is I ordered all of the parts for a second printer! This will allow me to roll out some new 3D printed products!

Now the sad part is my computer was a victim of ransomware that has been going around this last month. It corrupted all of my files, pictures, videos, documents. However, a few days prior I had the forethought to backup all of my 3D designs.

Just a reminder there are 13 more days to purchase your Eggfinder LCD case and accessories for a discount.

Today is the last day to order with a discount. Order while you can! Chris is running a great special so get your Egg products and accessories at a discount.

I apologize for another double post. I just wanted to make everyone aware at the end of this week I will be going on a small vacation to go watch the Oregon Ducks Spring Game.

Due to this, shipping will be a little delayed.

Its that time of the year when the semester ends and my Wife and I are celebrating our anniversary. So we will be out of town for a week.

I will not be able to ship any orders between 05/13/2016 and 05/23/2016. Feel free to place your orders and they will be fulfilled in the order they are received.

If you have any questions or concerns please send me an email and I will respond as quickly as I can.

I have been asked a few times if I am still selling merchandise.

I am happy to say I have plenty of items in stock and still selling stock. Also, there have been some pretty big changes in my work space and new products are on the way. I have been prototyping for about a month now, trying to get the perfect product.

I have created an instructional video for assembling the Eggfinder LCD Case. These instructions can be found on the website listed below.

[video=youtube;J6b8o5aRRjM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6b8o5aRRjM[/video]

Back