Silly Question about 1010 rail...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agatheron

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a really silly (I think) question about using a rail for my launch pad. At the moment, I have Estes basic, an Astron, A Porta Pad, and a Porta Pad E. The launch rods are 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" topping out at a maximum of 4' for the 1/4" rod. In reality these are just too short. I can get 6' rods sourced locally, but that doesn't solve the problem of rod whip with my heavier rockets.

I am looking at getting a launch rail, but am not sure how best to mount it. I've seen some plans for rail-based launch pads, which I may work on, but I was wondering if the launch rail itself can be mounted over-top of an existing rod? The centre hole of the 1010 seems that it could slip over a rod. My best guess is that a 3/16" rod would work okay.

Still, I do realize that such a mount would still be looser than something that was secured in several locations, but could this possibly work as a starting point? I'm looking at doing something that's inexpensive, but still safe.

Please satisfy my curiosity before I go do something stupid :)

The trouble you'll run into is the 1010 rail's weight alone will exceed the capability of each of those pads.

What I did was zip tie the rail to a light stand I had. doesn't adjust.... but for a quick and dirty rail on no wind days.... it's nice.

8195804639_e620e8fb7f_b.jpg

The trouble you'll run into is the 1010 rail's weight alone will exceed the capability of each of those pads.

What I did was zip tie the rail to a light stand I had. doesn't adjust.... but for a quick and dirty rail on no wind days.... it's nice.

8195804639_e620e8fb7f_b.jpg

+1 to the normal LPR pads are just not up to the weight demands of a 1010 rail.

1/4" carriage bolts slide right into the rail and won't spin when you tighten the nut. Use two or three bolts to fasten the rail to a piece of 1/2" or larger galvanized water pipe that is ~ 2ft long. Give at least 8" for mounting to your pad. This will make a very solid mount for the rail.

Adrian

Stick the end in a cinder block and fill the block with cement, heavy but cheap. That's a joke, but it may work. Carriage bolts are the best option as they are more readily available. A little piddling and cannibalizing a few things around your house may get you enough supplies. A camera tripod and a piece of angle iron or aluminium. Those cheap fold up chairs can be cannibalized for tubing that will work and to stake stuff down. Flatten one end to bolt to the rail and some bending and imagination and you may come up with something.

I had to grind carriage bolts to get them to fit my rail.

I use an old weight bench for my pad.
View attachment 267791
It's not hard to build something like this either, probably can be done with wood if need be.

I custom built one out of 2" black ABS pipe and a bunch of fittings from Home Depot. There's a T in the middle with 45-degree elbows on the straight-through section to make a triangular-ish pad. The legs screw into the short end of the T and those two elbows and go parallel to the ground out a couple of feet. They then turn to the ground with a short elbow and a pipe cap. The 1010 rail end is tapped for a 1/4" bolt which goes all the way through the T. I also cut up an old plastic cutting board from Goodwill and used that to brace underneath. Based on lots of TARC flying, I'd feel comfortable flying anything up to 2-3 pounds on it.

Back