Use Epoxy of ANY type? Read this!!! From "Epoxy Guru"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
I came across this PDF by the "epoxy Guru".

It contains all in one place some very pertinent info.
Quick read only 7-10 minutes, but I'm keeping a copy in my reference file.

Things like life expectancy, cure times & who the heck actually makes the stuff and how it's distributed & trickles down to us.

Here's some teaser's and the PDF. I think anyone who reads it may find "something"they did not know., whether a beginner or long time user.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 8.23.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 8.23.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 8.23.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 8.24.47 PM.png

View attachment 2006_EpoxyDoDonts.pdf

Written by airplane builder but applies equally to anyone using epoxy.

Last edited:
Very cool info..... I'd just love to have any info on proline 4500 other than it's name....

Also well worth downloading and reading, as mentioned in the presentation:

https://systemthree.com/pages/literature

Click the link for 'The Epoxy Book". While their focus is on boat building it's really about fiberglass laminating which applies to a lot of rocketry. I've used System Three since I started in rocketry over 15 years ago and really like it. I know a lot of builders use West Systems as well. Using the right additives also makes a huge difference. I use plastic mini-fibers for fillets which provide both strength and some flexibility. Phenolic micro balloons where I need filler without a lot of strength.

One of the biggest improvements over the years is I now use far less epoxy per build than I used to. More is not always better.

Tony

Yeah, I Googled that too. I never see that used in a tech/engineering kind of document.
No google, bumped into MM years ago. Can't remember who explained it to me but I guess they knew a little Italian or Latin ;)

The first 10 pages are invaluable to demystify epoxies. The most important takeaway is there are only 3 manufacturer's of epoxies in the US. All other folks are either distributors, or formulators of the resins and linkers made by the 3 manufacturers. Also real test data is important, not just claims of performance.....

Bob

Latest posts

Back