New 18mm Estes motor markings or?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Or just photos of older markings no longer used, but used while I was out of the rocketry hobby, or some other brand unknown to me simply listed as Estes? Came across these looking around Amazon for rocket stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A9NAZM0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.norcalrocketry.com/product/estes-c6-7-rocket-engine/

https://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=Science/11&category=Rocket+Engines/3375

41iIM6tnYML.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only seen that style of printing on motors made in 1999. Not all Estes motor made that year carried that style of printing. I have seen those markings only on the more popular motors. (A8-3, B6-4, C6-5).

I have only seen that style of printing on motors made in 1999. Not all Estes motor made that year carried that style of printing. I have seen those markings only on the more popular motors. (A8-3, B6-4, C6-5).
I thought that might be the case. That was during my break from the hobby.

Absurd comment.

Just because you had some failures does not mean you should make such generalizations.

If the problems were really that bad or that common, S&T would issue a warning or decertify.

if failures were really common there would be a recall.

ZERO failures at our club launch yesterday. Excellent flight of a Delta IV Heavy with a cluster of 3 E12-4 motors.

E9's and E12's should have skull and crossbones on them... :)

Estes E motor failures are sort of an inside joke around here, and he did include a smiley guy. While they aren't pervasive, it's also hard to find someone who hasn't had one.

Estes E motor failures are sort of an inside joke around here, and he did include a smiley guy. While they aren't pervasive, it's also hard to find someone who hasn't had one.

And its kind of hard to go to a launch and not SEE one, so while the comment was made in jest, there are way to many E9 Cato's for me to justify their use in MY rockets since I enjoy the build as much or more than flying.

And its kind of hard to go to a launch and not SEE one, so while the comment was made in jest, there are way to many E9 Cato's for me to justify their use in MY rockets since I enjoy the build as much or more than flying.
I guess I've just been lucky with both E9 and E12s then. I greatly prefer E12s. Hope that luck doesn't run out.

However, if you enjoy building more than flying, shouldn't you prefer CATO prone motors? They dispose of rockets providing a justification to build more while making room to store those additional builds. Plus, they make interesting YouTube videos. :rolleyes:

I guess I've just been lucky with both E9 and E12s then. I greatly prefer E12s. Hope that luck doesn't run out.

However, if you enjoy building more than flying, shouldn't you prefer CATO prone motors? They dispose of rockets providing a justification to build more while making room to store those additional builds. Plus, they make interesting YouTube videos. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a plan, if my accountant (wife) gets wind of this conspiracy between Estes and myself to acquire more kits, my rocketry budget may be subject to a summary execution :bangbang:. :)

E9's and E12's should have skull and crossbones on them... :)

Great comment. Most E9 CATOS and nozzle poppers I have seen were not reported so I think the scope of the problem was a bit under realized. However, it seems like the bad batches are disappearing and are not as frequent as two years ago. None the less the damage has been done as it really turns off newer flyers when certified SU motors blow. Experienced flyers will still joke about it as they are not Estes motor Homers and then bang, there goes an AT SU motor. Even a few beloved Cessaronis have gone bang recently, giving us much shock. The worst is when the Pyro guys have more confidence in their home made ones and just chuckle when I give them the hard line motor certification banter. I still keep the faith and tow the party line, but will not cluster E9s on starters ever again, that is way too dangerous.

Back