Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

New 18mm Estes motor markings or?

Or just photos of older markings no longer used, but used while I was out of the rocketry hobby, or some other brand unknown to me simply listed as Estes? Came across these looking around Amazon for rocket stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Estes-C6-5-Mod.../dp/B01A9NAZM0

http://www.norcalrocketry.com/produc...rocket-engine/

https://www.rainbowresource.com/prod...t+Engines/3375

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." - Will Rogers

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're misinformed." - Mark Twain

I have only seen that style of printing on motors made in 1999. Not all Estes motor made that year carried that style of printing. I have seen those markings only on the more popular motors. (A8-3, B6-4, C6-5).

'Til next time,

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373

Quote Originally Posted by mwtoelle View Post
    I have only seen that style of printing on motors made in 1999. Not all Estes motor made that year carried that style of printing. I have seen those markings only on the more popular motors. (A8-3, B6-4, C6-5).
    I thought that might be the case. That was during my break from the hobby.
    "I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." - Will Rogers

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're misinformed." - Mark Twain

E9's and E12's should have skull and crossbones on them...

Absurd comment.

Just because you had some failures does not mean you should make such generalizations.

If the problems were really that bad or that common, S&T would issue a warning or decertify.

if failures were really common there would be a recall.

ZERO failures at our club launch yesterday. Excellent flight of a Delta IV Heavy with a cluster of 3 E12-4 motors.

Quote Originally Posted by cerving View Post

Estes E motor failures are sort of an inside joke around here, and he did include a smiley guy. While they aren't pervasive, it's also hard to find someone who hasn't had one.

John S. ---- NAR #96911 ---- TRA #15253 ---- MDRA #067 ---- BARC #028
    L1, 3/15/14: Aerotech Sumo, CTI H133BS
    L2, 6/21/14: Giant Leap Vertical Assault, CTI J240RL
    L3, 3/12/16: MAC Performance Radial Flyer, CTI M1101WH
    Altitude: 13,028', L3 flight; Speed: Mach ???, L3 flight

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-mite View Post
    Estes E motor failures are sort of an inside joke around here, and he did include a smiley guy. While they aren't pervasive, it's also hard to find someone who hasn't had one.
    And its kind of hard to go to a launch and not SEE one, so while the comment was made in jest, there are way to many E9 Cato's for me to justify their use in MY rockets since I enjoy the build as much or more than flying.
    Rich

NAR# 99154

L3-4x upscale Estes Cherokee-D- AT M1297W 5/28/2016 http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...r-rharshberger

TriCities Rocketeers NAR section# 736 http://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by rharshberger View Post
    And its kind of hard to go to a launch and not SEE one, so while the comment was made in jest, there are way to many E9 Cato's for me to justify their use in MY rockets since I enjoy the build as much or more than flying.
    I guess I've just been lucky with both E9 and E12s then. I greatly prefer E12s. Hope that luck doesn't run out.

However, if you enjoy building more than flying, shouldn't you prefer CATO prone motors? They dispose of rockets providing a justification to build more while making room to store those additional builds. Plus, they make interesting YouTube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    I guess I've just been lucky with both E9 and E12s then. I greatly prefer E12s. Hope that luck doesn't run out.

However, if you enjoy building more than flying, shouldn't you prefer CATO prone motors? They dispose of rockets providing a justification to build more while making room to store those additional builds. Plus, they make interesting YouTube videos.
    Sounds like a plan, if my accountant (wife) gets wind of this conspiracy between Estes and myself to acquire more kits, my rocketry budget may be subject to a summary execution .
    Rich

NAR# 99154

L3-4x upscale Estes Cherokee-D- AT M1297W 5/28/2016 http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...r-rharshberger

TriCities Rocketeers NAR section# 736 http://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by cerving View Post
    Great comment. Most E9 CATOS and nozzle poppers I have seen were not reported so I think the scope of the problem was a bit under realized. However, it seems like the bad batches are disappearing and are not as frequent as two years ago. None the less the damage has been done as it really turns off newer flyers when certified SU motors blow. Experienced flyers will still joke about it as they are not Estes motor Homers and then bang, there goes an AT SU motor. Even a few beloved Cessaronis have gone bang recently, giving us much shock. The worst is when the Pyro guys have more confidence in their home made ones and just chuckle when I give them the hard line motor certification banter. I still keep the faith and tow the party line, but will not cluster E9s on starters ever again, that is way too dangerous.

I can see the humor in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    I thought that might be the case. That was during my break from the hobby.
    We had a guy show up yesterday who had not flown since he was a kid in the 70's. Launched a mighty D12 for him, then he got to see some of the new F-15 bad boys and then an H.