Stock Loc Stovi

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mIcahel

Reaction score
Finishing this one to use as a frequent flier for club and park launching. Decided to use both lug and rail
buttons for flexibility, otherwise built according to the instructions (29mm option). Any recommendations
for motor selection? The card that came with the kit did not appear to have up to date motor options.

Stovism.jpgStovi2sm.jpg

Flew mine a couple weeks ago on an H238T. G's and H's are fine. Your .rkt file looks about right - a G80NBT with a 7 second delay ought to be good for a first flight. I may decide to fly mine on an I at some point. Just because...

More generally, looks like your built weight matches the Estes Pro Series II. Their recommended motors are F26-6FJ, F50-6T, G40-7W, G80-7T, so any of those should work well, as well as any of the 29/40-120 reloads of equivalent thrust. G76G-7 is another nice choice.

Very nice job on the paint and decals! Wish mine looked nearly that good!

Ah, the .rkt file that got attached shows a built weight of about 18 oz, while the LOC website shows 22 oz. Overriding the weight didn't really change the results too much, so a G80-7 should still work fine.

I would suggest weighing your rocket ready to fly with no motor, updating the weight in the above .rkt file, then see what works for you.

Last edited:
Thanks Gradville. Did you do anything special to prevent drag separation with the H238?
I am concerned with drag separation on higher thrust motors due to the design

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Just a bunch of masking tape wrapped around the reducer where it goes into the lower body tube. The rule of thumb that I have heard (and use) is I want the connection to be tight enough that I can hold the rocket by the NC and not have the bottom fall off. I tape until it's that tight, but will still come off if I shake it up and down.

Resurrecting this older thread because I'm building the Stovi now, and am contemplating putting buttons on it. Wasn't sure there would be enough clearance between the fins, and I don't have a chunk of rail to test. Have you flown it off of 1010 yet? If so, I'm assuming it worked!

PS- nice decals! Are those from LOC or did you home-make?

Back