Zooch Soyuz (Not A) Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm building a Zooch Soyuz and hadn't planned on doing a build thread, but I'm having a great time building it and sort of wished I'd been taking pictures all along so I could have posted one.

If you're in the future and have just found this thread after searching for a build thread to follow, sorry to disappoint. This won't be a very detailed and step by step thread like I've done for other kits, which are the kinds of build threads I enjoy reading most. This will be more like a spaced apart update thread where I'll post some pictures to every once in a while.

For all I know it may be this post and then my next will be finished pictures. I really dislike those kinds of "build threads" because there's no building. That's why this is officially Not A Build Thread.

The first picture shows almost all the parts that I've started working on so far. There are a few pieces from the larger tube that I cut that are not in the picture, but I do show the Second Stage (tube section 3) in the upper left. To the right of that are the 4 Boosters. I built those and started to spray them with primer but realized I'd left off the straps, so I added them and haven't finished the primer yet. There was a balsa plug that I cut into three pieces using a coping saw, two launch lugs mounted on balsa stand offs, and 4 fins that have been coated with CA and sanded smooth. Under those is the main section with motor retainer which has an extended clip from Odd'l Rockets and the spider beams. Finally, on the bottom, are 12 engine bells that I've painted silver. On the right of the picture is a short dowel with a slightly sharpened end which I used to roll the engine bells.
01 Soyuz so far.jpg

Here's a close up of the transition. For some reason the first one I cut didn't have the correct diameter on the big end and overlapped the body tube too much. Instead of cutting the transition shorter like I did for my Vostok when the same thing happened, I cut a new transition, glued the big tube in place, and used it to fit a new transition that would match on both ends. To do that I had to remove the engine clip and put it back on and after that was done I added the spider beams. A bit of filling and sanding was then required but I think the transition will look okay when painted. The seam doesn't look it, but if feels smooth and may not be visible after painting.
02 transition and bells.jpg

I filled the seam of the big tube with primer, then covered the entire tube with primer before sanding most of it off to get it smooth. The tube was cut into 4 pieces, numbered 1-4, and this one was labeled Second Stage.
03 Second Stage and Boosters.jpg

My witches hats. They turned out okay. I rolled them carefully and tried my best to make sure they're tilted at the correct angle to just touch the transition at the top.
04 witches hats.jpg

So that's where I am so far. I'll try and post some more as I go, hopefully more before I'm done and ready to fly it.

Nice work. This one tests your patience but the end result is unique and fantastic.

Looking great. I have the smaller version that was released last year as part of the ASTP set. I hope to get around to building it next as soon as I finish up the companion Saturn 1B.

I am finally making some progress on these builds, I bought this set last year when it was released. Here is a side-by-side comparison of the two kits in their current state. I cut the glue tabs on the witch hats and booster tubes a little generously towards their respective tips to make it a little easier to roll them.
DSC_6479.jpg

getting the tube parts together, I used the butt-joint glue tab method, like you see in the cardstock rocketry templates in the Project Paper thread nose cones. The glue tabs are cut off, then glued half-way onto one of the parts before rolling. Check out those nose cone templates and instructions for a better description.
DSC_6482.jpg

one observation when rolling these tubes, don't put glue on the printed side. Dry roll it to see where that will contact the inside and put the glue on that side. It is a lot easier to have the glue on the inside when rolling them up so your fingers can work on the outside of the tube and not get glue all over them.

DSC_6484.jpg

Last edited:
Purism, though probably more work than necessary as most wraps on the build can have the tab hidden either agains the body tube or against another wrap.

DSC_6485.jpg

Got some paint on here, still need to add some touches to the inside of the nozzles, and glue the grid fins on. I wanted to highlight the transition with a little gray contrast. And, yes, this is a built-up dowel interstage, not the wrap that was included with the BT20 ASTP version. I had to saw the balsa coupler in half and added these in between. Turned out fairly decent.

I'm nearly done with my first stage. Tonight I painted the bottom silver and will glue the quads of engines on the bottom of each booster.

I've sanded all the balsa pieces so they'll fit properly in each tube and I've built the interstage section with the dowel pieces but haven't painted it yet.

05 1st Stage.jpg

I still haven't decided how much detail I'm going to try and put on the capsule section. NJRick has done such a great job, I might just use some of the graphics he's created and make decals.

I'd like to build my model after the Soyuz that carried Howard Wolowitz, aka Fruit Loops, to the ISS. I'm just not sure if it had any distinctive markings on it.

she looks great Glen! I have this set sitting at home as well.

View attachment 286170

Got some paint on here, still need to add some touches to the inside of the nozzles, and glue the grid fins on. I wanted to highlight the transition with a little gray contrast. And, yes, this is a built-up dowel interstage, not the wrap that was included with the BT20 ASTP version. I had to saw the balsa coupler in half and added these in between. Turned out fairly decent.

I like the orange around the bottom of the booster Mushtang! It really adds some color to that booster...she is looking great so far!!

I'm nearly done with my first stage. Tonight I painted the bottom silver and will glue the quads of engines on the bottom of each booster.

I've sanded all the balsa pieces so they'll fit properly in each tube and I've built the interstage section with the dowel pieces but haven't painted it yet.

View attachment 286185

I still haven't decided how much detail I'm going to try and put on the capsule section. NJRick has done such a great job, I might just use some of the graphics he's created and make decals.

I'd like to build my model after the Soyuz that carried Howard Wolowitz, aka Fruit Loops, to the ISS. I'm just not sure if it had any distinctive markings on it.

I'm out of town for a week so the very slow build has come to a stand still. Here's where I am so far.

My unfinished Soyuz is standing next to the shorter Vostok. The Soyuz is glued together above the gray but needs to be painted and details added.

06 Vostok and Soyuz.jpg

A closer picture of the capsule section here. I've primered the tube section with grey Filler Primer and sanded it before gluing, and primered the square (grid fins?) with white primer and glued them in place. They still need a little sanding before I put on a couple of coats of white paint. I've also used watered down Elmers CWF on the balsa pieces, capsule and weighted plug, and sanded them smooth so they're ready for primer.

I plan on one coat of white primer, sand it smooth, then two coats of gloss white paint so it'll be ready for decals.

07 Soyuz capsule.jpg

I actually made a mistake when I was gluing the capsule section together. My 10 year old son was in and out, asking me questions, I test fit everything and then glued it all together.

When it was just barely too late after gluing the upper transition and tube I realized I'd glued the weighted balsa section in upside down. I pulled off the transition and tube but destroyed both of them in the process. So I can to cut replacements of each.

After that I glued it back together, both ends this time, and went to test fit the capsule shaped balsa piece and... $@%^#!!!!!

It didn't slide in all the way because I'd actually done it RIGHT the first time and "corrected" it to the WRONG way. So instead of destroying the transitions and tubes, I just cut a very short extension piece onto the upper tube and glued everything else together. It worked out and as far as I can tell it should still look the same after it's all primered and painted.

Oh man...do I feel your pain! I glued the nosecone to the main body on my Lifting body kit, went upstairs to help my kids and had a "frozen in place" moment, ran downstairs and barely got it off w/o destroying the whole thing. I'm sure with the work you do this will look and fly awesome!

I think that is a save Mushtang! you are a steely eyed missile man!!

I actually made a mistake when I was gluing the capsule section together. My 10 year old son was in and out, asking me questions, I test fit everything and then glued it all together.

When it was just barely too late after gluing the upper transition and tube I realized I'd glued the weighted balsa section in upside down. I pulled off the transition and tube but destroyed both of them in the process. So I can to cut replacements of each.

After that I glued it back together, both ends this time, and went to test fit the capsule shaped balsa piece and... $@%^#!!!!!

It didn't slide in all the way because I'd actually done it RIGHT the first time and "corrected" it to the WRONG way. So instead of destroying the transitions and tubes, I just cut a very short extension piece onto the upper tube and glued everything else together. It worked out and as far as I can tell it should still look the same after it's all primered and painted.

DSC_6516.jpg

The BT-20 Soyuz just uses a one-part balsa capsule slightly larger than the BT20 with a paper transition on top and dowels for the escape tower. I deviated from the instructions for the box grid fins a little, I laminated the grid fin cardstock templates a few layers thick, and papered one single balsa triangle to mount them on, they seem pretty sturdy. I added a paper strip wrap around the bottom of the capsule to help delineate the shoulder part of the transition that goes into the BT20. When it was totally white you almost could not see the transition stand out much, so I painted a gray stripe and added this paper strip wrap just to give it a more visible break.

Last edited:
Back