Ebay dreams...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I can't believe that someone is wanting $165.00USD (buy it now price) for a clone of an Estes Maxi Icarus.

s-l1600.jpg

As nice as it looks (and it really does look nice), even the starting bid at $85 is seems like overkill to me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-Maxi...lying-model-rocket-never-flown-/272175677405?

[EDIT] A closer look at the images provided make me think that the paint job may be a bit "pebbly" down around the fins.

s-l1600.jpg

The kit is easy enough to clone (I've built two), save for the alps printed decals, but doubt that they're that hard to print yourself (JimZ's got 'em on his site).

Last edited:
Always remember ... a thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Well you know the saying "Caveat emptor". For us it may sound like a bad deal but for someone that has no building skills, and more money than brains, it may be the deal of a lifetime.

The seller has a Semroc Cherokee up for sale as well, nice job and a better price...maybe https://www.ebay.com/itm/272167095063

Reminds me of an old joke. A mugger pointed a gun at a guy and said, "Give me all your money or I'll blow your brains out."

The man replied, "Go ahead and shoot, because you can live without brains in this world, but not without money!"

Always remember ... a thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
So true. I once spent $35 on a used fairly-rare paperback novel that had one small printing run back in '85, but it was a damn good book. If I can afford it I don't mind shelling out if it's for something I love. Made a big mistake last year when I didn't buy a V-2 Maxi-Brute on eBay that was going for $75.

It is already built, so it is worth LESS than nothing to someone like me who only derives pleasure from the building part of rocketry.
If you gave it to me, I'de give it back or throw it in the trash.

It is already built, so it is worth LESS than nothing to someone like me who only derives pleasure from the building part of rocketry.
If you gave it to me, I'de give it back or throw it in the trash.

There are some that appreciate a good build. I sold over $4000 in built rockets a year or two ago on TRF.

I've bought a rare built kit off of ebay (an actual Citation Patriot), but not for a price anywhere near what this clone is being asked for. I could understand if it was an extremely old and rare original kit. But a clone? Come on... Get real.

I wonder how much time was spent building and painting this or any other rocket over and above the actual material costs?

I wonder how much time was spent building and painting this or any other rocket over and above the actual material costs?

Probably less time that it will take to sell it at the prices that its owner has set for it... It's now on its 3rd relisting, and no takers.

[EDIT] I just noticed that the clone has the "MaxiIcarus" decal on upside down (per the face card/catalog photos). That, and the one below has the decals aligned up differently to the catalog as well (I just went over the .ork file I created for this a few days ago).

I just found a link (here) to one that was sold on ebay back in December, 2015... for $30.01, an it was NOS, not a clone.

s-l1600.jpg

That nick in the decal (in the roll pattern at the top of the body tube) could probably have been fixed with a Sharpie.

Last edited:
Those spirals are disgusting and make me want to vomit.:puke:

:lol:

I'de pay someone to get it away from me.

Those spirals are disgusting and make me want to vomit.:puke:

:lol:

I'de pay someone to get it away from me.

Yeah... you'd think they'd put some care into something they're selling for a buttload of money. Unfilled spirals, visible orangepeel, rough finish, terrible deal.

Somebody had rockwell jawstands on eBay for $49 .. i didnt grab the link

Kenny

I have bought several from them over the years. Keep an eye out there will be more refurb jaw stands.

Ok... Today, we have another contender for head in the clouds... insaneactor007.

s-l500.jpg

He's got a sealed in box, original, Astrocam 110 for $300.00. I don't know what he's charging for shipping, but for $300, it should be free (even to China).

I don't think he understands that Estes put about 50K of them out each year they were in production according to one source I read (I think it was something that Mike Dorffler wrote). The Astrocam 110 is certainly not rare. I know of one that sold (including a BigFoot launcher) for $30.00 a week ago (I put the buyer onto it). That's right, its price increased a whole penny in all those years (the original starter sets sold for $29.99).

It's funny, but sometimes on Amazon there are products that are nothing special, but while they can be had for normal prices, certain vendors feel they can get ten times the going price, so they put a ridiculous number on the Item. The Sears online catalog is the same way.

Here's an example that is just my most recent WTF? marked up item:

Minwax Wood Hardener, available normally for around $10. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CMMDJ74/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here's a Sears Example:https://www.sears.com/estes-model-r...M9680725632?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

And how about $73 for a 3 pack of A8-3's:https://www.sears.com/estes-3pk-a83...13621039610?prdNo=17&blockNo=17&blockType=G17

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of times when I see random junk being sold for patently insane prices ( and succeeding ), I just assume someone is moving some money on the shady side.

Back