Level 2 Build - Madcow Level-2 via Apogee Components

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all. So ONE step closer. Got the HC-06 Bluetooth Module in. (Thanks Kevinkal. Hadn't even thought of that) The only thing I have left to do is get the Eggfinder LCD (And that is in GOOD Hands - Connors, as I obviously cannot build one of those successfully :bang: ) and then test it all and go launch!
hc-06.jpg

Nice Kevin. I've a couple of hours of experience using the Bluetooth option with my tablet thus far, and it noticeably reduced my time on battery. I'm sure it will have some, but lesser % impact, on the larger laptop battery. So far, I've just used 4 NiMh rechargeable AA batteries in the stock Eggfinder LCD battery box, and they seem to last a long time even with the Bluetooth module installed.

Thanks all. So ONE step closer. Got the HC-06 Bluetooth Module in. (Thanks Kevinkal. Hadn't even thought of that) The only thing I have left to do is get the Eggfinder LCD (And that is in GOOD Hands - Connors, as I obviously cannot build one of those successfully :bang: ) and then test it all and go launch!
View attachment 293713

Let me recommend the case by BlackAero for your Egg Eggfinder LCD. Check out my first ever build thread with it here- https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?131702-4-quot-Madcow-Phoenix-Build-Dual-Deploy-and-AV-Bay/page2

And I have to add I kinda pride myself on good pics and descriptions and you've given me something to aspire towards!

Best of luck!

Edit to add link to BlackAero- https://www.blackaero.com/shop-2

Last edited:
Yeah! Another step closer! got a PayPal shipment notice from Connor today! LCD is on the way! Better hurry up with my A.C.M.E. Spitfire so I can play with this!

Got a nice shipment today from buyrockets.com with their hazmat free shipping over the holiday. a K535 to let me go just shy of 6K this fall at battlepark followed by an L1000 I'm planning to use at LDRS36 with my Level-2. Also got a nice storage box as well and both arrived on the same day! Yeah! Also picked up an I and a G for my Torrent and Daughter's Madcow Momba.
buyrocketmotor.jpgcase.jpg

Got a nice shipment today from buyrockets.com with their hazmat free shipping over the holiday. a K535 to let me go just shy of 6K this fall at battlepark followed by an L1000 I'm planning to use at LDRS36 with my Level-2. Also got a nice storage box as well and both arrived on the same day! Yeah! Also picked up an I and a G for my Torrent and Daughter's Madcow Momba.
View attachment 301181View attachment 301182

That's a happy day fo' sho'!

How big is that storage box & where did you get it? Dimensions please!

Nice motors Kevin. What altitude and velocity does the L1000 sim to in your Rocksim?

The Open Rocket Model I have shows 8706 ft ad 1143 ft/sec.. so just over Mach 1.
I'd been looking at the larger RMS cases.. but that DMS L1000 looks interesting.

Nice motors Kevin. What altitude and velocity does the L1000 sim to in your Rocksim?

The Open Rocket Model I have shows 8706 ft ad 1143 ft/sec.. so just over Mach 1.
I'd been looking at the larger RMS cases.. but that DMS L1000 looks interesting.

If you go DMS get the one with the fixed thrust ring!

There is an L1090 reload version of the L1000, I think for the 54/2800.

I did get the L1000. I read all the videos on taping the thrust ring with the Aeropack adapter in place. I plan to do that method. So I also had an issue where my nosecone fell off my workbench and broke the tip. I did my best to recreate with epoxy but that stunk, so I've ordered a replacement from Mike (madcow). Since I have a Attebery Performance Engineering Head-end Altimeter bay, epoxied in, I didn't want to have to pick up yet another outer ring when the center ring and ebay was fine. So last night I saw down with my circle cutter (Butterfly cutter I've been told) and a 1/4" piece of hobby ply. I had to remove the ebay portion from the bulkhead so I could marry up the inner and outer rings for the alignment/screw holes and then cut away. here are these results. When the new nosecone arrives, I'll get it epoxied in place and NOT DROP the darned thing again on concrete. :facepalm:
nose ring guide.jpg Ring.jpg

Last edited:
Got my Arrow II Yagi Antenna in the mail this past week and finally went to test it. Apparently my battery in my BigRedBee TX is dead so I ended up ordering another one. Guess I need to charge it more often. Anyway, Got the new nosecone prepped, painted, and then began wetsanding with 2000 grit. In a couple of weeks I'll start finishing it. I'm ever hopeful I can launch at BattlePark in Oct.
nose wet sand.jpgnose sanded.jpg

Got my Arrow II Yagi Antenna in the mail this past week and finally went to test it. Apparently my battery in my BigRedBee TX is dead so I ended up ordering another one. Guess I need to charge it more often. Anyway, Got the new nosecone prepped, painted, and then began wetsanding with 2000 grit. In a couple of weeks I'll start finishing it. I'm ever hopeful I can launch at BattlePark in Oct.
View attachment 302209View attachment 302208

You're really going to enjoy "Foxhunting" once you get the hang of it Kevin...
It get's to the point that you look forward to it as much as the flight...

Teddy

Upgrading my Level 2 is getting closer. I started to build a new sled for the Level-2 before headed down to TN for the holiday weekend. Got back tonight and my featherweight switches had come in, so I got to complete the sled. I'm going to work on using a primary and backup ejection now since I'm hoping to launch on the 30th to 6K and 11K in the spring. Figure it's a good time to get redundant alts under the belt. I know many prefer different type alts, but I already have two strattologger CFs so the $ was right. Anyway, a swipe of the magnet worked. I've gotta put extra wells on each bulkhead and the upgraded e-bay will be complete.
presled.jpgsled.jpg

Also have to say, I'd ran into an issue with my USB charger for my BigRedBee TX. Greg is AWESOME to work with!! All good to go here on that front as well now!

Finished the ebay and tested with the magnets outside the rocket. Ready to roll. Setup the BRB and the Eggtimer. Using LCD with an HC08, I was able to connect my Andriod Phone and locate the rocket in two different locations in the yard (front and back) with a great degree of accuracy! Thanks KSAVES2 (Kurt)! I appreciate the info you gave me a few months ago!

So I also powered up the BRB. I'd configured it with my call sign, then turned on my Yaesu FT-60R. Tuned it to the frequency and get a sound with a bunch of bars, the a moment later it repeats. I assume it's hearing the beacon as when I power it off it stops. However, placing the nosecone in one end of the yard and standing on the other, I don't see any difference if I point one way or another with the radio. I hooked up my Yagi Antenna to it and still it seems as strong regardless of where I point it. Any suggestions here? the GPS definitely got me to the rocket. The Yagi I guess its getting me in a 1/4 acre of it, but I don't see a difference unless I'm reading something wrong. Just not schooled in this and haven't found much to read on it.

I have experience with yagi antenna tracking radio tagged birds. The yagi does lose directional sensitivity when close to the source. Of course this is different frequencies and so YMMV.

Edit: If your receiver has attenuation try turning it on, this helps when the signal is too strong.

Last edited:
I have experience with yagi antenna tracking radio tagged birds. The yagi does lose directional sensitivity when close to the source. Of course this is different frequencies and so YMMV.

Edit: If your receiver has attenuation try turning it on, this helps when the signal is too strong.

Thanks!

Thanks to a really awesome tree climber I was also able to recover my Level 2 "RumbleBee" from it's 70ft resting place today. Recovered the video and have to check the other electronics when I get a chance tonight. Again nice flight on a K535 to 5977 foot. Haven't done any dashware on it, an edited out the rocket sitting on the pad. Man it was windy. The rocket was blowing from side to side before it finally took off. Lesson learned. I bigger motor would have cleared "That" grove of trees!
[video=youtube;OBv10mJmqUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/OBv10mJmqUY[/video]

Kevin,
Were you able to get a feel for how well the Eggfinder Tx and LCD worked? Did you save a track on mapsphere, and if so, how well did it match reality?
I've been experiencing some "issues" with mine that leave me concerned and wondered how well your nearly identical setup was working.
Thanks.

They worked. Rocket locator gave up with the map, but stayed locked to rhetoric coordinates. Between that and the radio/yagi I walked up to it and that was work going around fields and trees. I need to learn to work the radio better. Not sure I ever got a direction off of it that I could say helped a while lot.

Is your Level2 back in flying shape and, if so, do you have a launch date planned for the L1000? =] I almost bought an L1000 at the Wildman sale... and am looking forward to your flight.

Ready to go! Plan to fly the l1000 at ldrs. May fly on another K this weekend depending if I can get a hall pass. (Not always that easy)

They worked. Rocket locator gave up with the map, but stayed locked to rhetoric coordinates. Between that and the radio/yagi I walked up to it and that was work going around fields and trees. I need to learn to work the radio better. Not sure I ever got a direction off of it that I could say helped a while lot.

When we played with our ham radio club built Yagi antennas that were put together using cut sections of a tape measure, once we got close to the transmitter, we would unscrew the antenna and insert a paper clip into the top of the radio as the antenna would get overloaded without an attenuator circuit inline. The paper clip provides just enough sensitivity to pick up the signal.

When we played with our ham radio club built Yagi antennas that were put together using cut sections of a tape measure, once we got close to the transmitter, we would unscrew the antenna and insert a paper clip into the top of the radio as the antenna would get overloaded without an attenuator circuit inline. The paper clip provides just enough sensitivity to pick up the signal.
Very interesting! I'm hoping to get out with someone at one of our launches and watch them track if they are doing what I am to get a better feel for the use. I'm flying a k500 on saturday so optimal opportunity to give it a go again, just hope I don't track back to a grove of trees....or back to the cow pasture! (Praying to split the distance this time!)

So a new personal best today on a Cesaroni K500 to 6,362ft. No camera today. Apparently it decided to sleep in when I left this morning! Nuts!

l2flightdec10.JPGLevel 2.jpg

Grats on your new record Kevin! How did the tracking and recovery go?

Back