Red Glare XVIII New Official Web Site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
To everyone hoping/planning to attend Red Glare 18 on April 8 - 10, there is a new MDRA web site with all you need to know, including how to pay launch fees, etc.

Official Red Glare Web Site

The site has a long way to go as far as general MDRA usefulness, but it debuted today with everything needed for the Red Glare attendee.

Last edited:
I think the new site is awesome, and hopefully it is updated more often now. It's always been done by a volunteer and getting someone with the time to keep up with it has always been a problem. I'm sure once RG is over, more and more of the functionality will be activated.

I'll only be there Saturday and Sunday, have to work Friday, then leaving for vacation on Tuesday the 12th!
Looking to make my L3 attempt on Saturday.

Last edited:
Fortunately for mine, the weather wont be as much of a factor flying to right about 6k ft.Should be able to bring it back down on the farm. IF the weather is Perfect (Rare occasion for MD) I might go to up to the 3 grain to about 8500ft

I remember last year's Red Glare. On Friday, we had a 1000 foot ceiling and less than a mile visibility in any direction. I launched my G-Force on a G80 and it actually disappeared in the clouds. That's when Bob said LPR only. Fortunately Saturday was clearer, but the wind was ridiculous. I wasn't there Sunday, so I don't remember that that was like.

The weather is going to be what it is going to be. I'll be prepped and ready to go regardless. I'm hoping for a Saturday attempt, if all goes well, I want to fly it again Sunday. I'm in no hurry, But, bringing 4 or 5 others to fly as well.

Making it back down for the first time in a couple years! Plan to fly my 6" Hawk Proteus on a 98-10,000 M2200 White and my 3.75" Mini-Proteus on a 76-2500 K575 Red. One flight per day will make me a happy camper, nothing too crazy!

Looking to put up my first large cluster project. 3/4 scale Nike Smoke on 3-M1500 White loads.

Maybe my 8" Narcissa kit on a N3050 Red Load (98-13000)

Edit: Intimidator sold.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're getting a lot of big projects submitted, keep them coming! Just wanted to let everyone know registration via the website will close April 5 so T-shirts can be ordered and the final count for the banquet submitted.

Here's a few links:

Registration

Big Projects

Stuff to Buy

Take a look at the featured flights page. Projects will be added as submitted and approved by the BoD.

Thanks, Scott

How big does it have to be to qualify as a "Big Project"?

Good Question. I think M motors or above to determine if they need to go to the away cells and any projects that may approach the waiver. No harm in submitting something that may be questionable plus it will make the featured projects page.

Guess I'll have to stack up my jumbo darkstar. Get a beauty shot done... Flying on a 75mm 7 grain EX.......

I'm really hoping the weather holds, looks like I might be taking up employment across to the west coast here by summer.

Though I might do more development down at FAR (and bigger)

Altimeter bays prepped and sealed. E-matches will be put in the Proteus canisters next week, charges at the field.

A little size difference, eh?

YSOKptMl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting really bummed. Winds are supposed to be ridiculously high this weekend at Higgs. I bought a bunch of motor for high flights, but I don't know if I can use any of them. And this is our last launch at Higgs until November. Ugh.

Temps in the 40s and 50s, with possible rain on Saturday. Winds anywhere from 12 mph to 20 mph.

I'm getting really bummed. Winds are supposed to be ridiculously high this weekend at Higgs. I bought a bunch of motor for high flights, but I don't know if I can use any of them. And this is our last launch at Higgs until November. Ugh.

Yea...unfortunately I've decided to scrub. Couple that bleak outlook with the 6" of snow we got and I just haven't been able to accomplish what I needed to.

One of the many mottos for MDRA "The weather will be there, and so will we"
I'll be there, flying something.......

I think if we stay under 5000', we have a good chance of recovery. But nothing less than 5:1 thrust-to-weight ratio, and nothing marginally stable.

The BOD and president will make decisions on the waiver throughout each day and will change it accordingly. Plan to be there and fly what you brought, it is Maryland, if you don't like the weather, wait an hour. As far as thrust to weight ratios the thrust curve of the motor needs to be considered as well because some have a high thrust spike at ignition which can over take a sub 5:1 ratio, some of the CTI long burns are that way.

+1
Don't get me started on the 5:1 thrust weight ratio rule.

Without taking the whole thrust curve into consideration, the average thrust is a useless piece of information.

The BOD and president will make decisions on the waiver throughout each day and will change it accordingly. Plan to be there and fly what you brought, it is Maryland, if you don't like the weather, wait an hour. As far as thrust to weight ratios the thrust curve of the motor needs to be considered as well because some have a high thrust spike at ignition which can over take a sub 5:1 ratio, some of the CTI long burns are that way.

+1...

[/QUOTE]+1

Without taking the whole thrust curve into consideration, the average thrust is a useless piece of information.[/QUOTE]

+1....

Teddy

+1

Without taking the whole thrust curve into consideration, the average thrust is a useless piece of information.

Agreed. But the only thing the RSO has to go on is the average thrust and the notebook that shows maximum weight for that thrust. Take a visual thrust curve with you if you need to prove it's safe.

Agreed. But the only thing the RSO has to go on is the average thrust and the notebook that shows maximum weight for that thrust. Take a visual thrust curve with you if you need to prove it's safe.

Another factor is also how fast the rocket leaves the rail, e.g. rule of thumb at least 50 ft/sec. This is provided in wRASP and other sim software.:D

[video=youtube;G6JXY1ol53U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6JXY1ol53U[/video]

John

Back