Ok, You Piqued My Interest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that case I shall withhold my questions about baffles, U-bolts, and internal fillets.

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for these things at the launches I attend. Pretty sure I haven't encountered one yet. Maybe I should bring a microscope along with me.

In that case I shall withhold my questions about baffles, U-bolts, and internal fillets.

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for these things at the launches I attend. Pretty sure I haven't encountered one yet. Maybe I should bring a microscope along with me.

I'm sure you are joking but yes occasionally I have used ejection baffles in some of the larger airframe Micro's T4 & T5. U-bolts are NEVER needed as they only add unnecessary weight as do internal fillets as TTW fins are also generally not necessary on anything smaller the H or I motors.

Many techniques used in HPR are simply unnecessary in Micro, Model or even MPR models as they do not much more then add excess mass that limits altitude, or requires Larger motors which in turn make them more of a projectile the a model rocket. That is my main beef (A public Safety Issue If you will) with fibreglassing any model with doesn't fly on HPR motors. Building Light but sturdy is the KEY to maximium bang for the buck in these areas of Model Rocketry, Fibreglass w/ epoxied body tubes, NC & Fins for the most part don't fit that bill.

Last edited:
Thanks, found what I was looking for. Might need to put together a "MMX scratch builder starter order", seems tubes, launch lugs, and motor mounts come in multiples so I'll have to think up several projects and get the associated nose cones for them.

In summation; If it's being done in Model Rocketry with the exception of " Egg-Loft", it's being done today in Micro Model Rocketry.
Hope that helps clear up any doubts you have about this particular facet of the hobby. or where it is going.
Ho and yes that is why I'm called Micromeister LOL!

I was unaware of such. In all my time in rocketry, I have seen one MMX fly. It was a converted Mosquito. That's it. No one around my area flies them. The one I did see was at Southern Thunder 2015 in TN.

I was unaware of such. In all my time in rocketry, I have seen one MMX fly. It was a converted Mosquito. That's it. No one around my area flies them. The one I did see was at Southern Thunder 2015 in TN.

That's fine: I'm happy to help in any way I can advancing Micro Maxx moded building. If you need a plan or scale data for your project(s) let me know...If I have it in the rather large fleet I'll also have a One-Page-Plan with photos and possibly a Pictorial Build either here in TRF Micro Maxx forum, at MicroMaxRockets Yahoo group or in my rather extensive model Library.

Paying it Forward is always the way I look at sharing what I've created, improved or invented. I'm sure if you spend a little time looking around this forum you'll find plenty of projects to continue to Pique your Micro building adventures.

Just remember; When Micro building Mass is always the enemy!!! Build as light as possible for the best performance.

Last edited:
Scale models are my bread and butter. If I can get my hands on a scale drawing, I can scale it to fit any size tube.

Right now I'm thinking AIM-120, PAC-3, and AIM-54 will be my first micro scale projects. For simplicity, I figure these will most likely be made from BT-5. Gotta start somewhere. And I have BT-5 on hand.

Scale models are my bread and butter. If I can get my hands on a scale drawing, I can scale it to fit any size tube.

Right now I'm thinking AIM-120, PAC-3, and AIM-54 will be my first micro scale projects. For simplicity, I figure these will most likely be made from BT-5. Gotta start somewhere. And I have BT-5 on hand.

I do have Plans for AIM-120 and AIM-54. the AMRAAM is 1:18.6667 scale, and the AIM-54 Phoenix is 6.9333 Scale, both built around the T3 body tube but the Phoenix page has the parts for a BT-5 model as well.

Below are both MMWW one page plans which are also available for download over in the files section of the MicroMaxRocket group. They may make scaling a bit easier.
Good luck with your Scale projects we'll be watching to see the finished photos:)

View attachment MM 262c_Amraam_18.6667 AIM-120a Plan_08-06-02.pdf

386a1a_MM Phoenix (T3) 6.933 Scale_04-18-12.jpg

View attachment MM 386c_Phoenix T3,T4 & T5 Dwg_04-18-12.pdf

Don't hold your breath. Remember, it'll be after NSL. You'd suffocate after two months of that.

Have you ever found something you want. It's not good. It's not inspiring. Many would tell you not to waste your time. But you still want it just because you do.

I know that the Quest RTF MicroRocs are junk. Low flying, plastic bricks. But they look nice. They're relatively inexpensive. They come with a starter launch pad and controller. They're a good way to get started easily. And I found the Saturn V / Shuttle set. Haven't fount the LJ II, cruise missile, or SR-71 yet.

I think I'm going to get this starter set. I may regret it, but it's a starting point either way.

I learn something new every day. I actually never knew that's how "pique" was used. :p

I hate it when people get the two, to and too or the were, where and wear misused. Its even worse when you see this misspelling on advertisements or like on a restaurant menu. Its pretty funny to think someone who is college educated doesn't get it.

I learn something new every day. I actually never knew that's how "pique" was used. :p

Shall I endeavor to truly astound you? I was born and raised in Alabama. I know, amazing, right? Even in our "backwoods, inbred, redneck state" we can actually speak correctly. 😜

It amazes me how we are seen and regarded in other parts of the country.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum thread.

I hate it when people get the two, to and too or the were, where and wear misused.

Don't forget "your" and "you're". That drives me nuts.

Shall I endeavor to truly astound you? I was born and raised in Alabama. I know, amazing, right? Even in our "backwoods, inbred, redneck state" we can actually speak correctly. 

It amazes me how we are seen and regarded in other parts of the country.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum thread.

Even though I have a 33/36 in Grammar on the ACT I still didn't know it :p

Back on point, I'm going ahead and doing the Sparrow AIM-7 in BT-5 riding MMX motors, to allow room for the transition/tail cone at the aft.
Almost done with my "To Scale" nose cone.

BT-5 Balsa Paper Clay Cone 2002-12-31 003.JPG

Here's a real Sparrow Missile cone.:

Sparrow Nose.jpg

It's funny, but from doing more research than actual building or flying, I have learned to always start by researching the nose cone of any given missile or rocket, as the people most likely to share the blueprints of any given missile are the ones who are most interested in whatever any particular rocket or missile is carrying as it's warhead or payload.
I'll be using the nose cone of my rocket for niether of these, but I still appreciate accurate scale data thank you very much.

Last edited:
It will also require a micro paper hat, to get the tip pointy, that will be fun, but I believe I can do it.:wink:

It will also require a micro paper hat, to get the tip pointy, that will be fun, but I believe I can do it.:wink:

That really shouldn't be a problem for BT-5.

I do want to again let you know that over the last 16 years most of us Micro Maxxer's have learned the for about the best performance to detail compromise BT-3 (.375") bodys have proven over and over to be the winner. www.erockets.biz, Balsa Machine, Fliskits and several other sources have BT-3 and smaller tubes if you can't find them at your local hobby shop.

Back