Ok, You Piqued My Interest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I love doing upscales and downscales. I'm doing an entire line of PAC-3 rockets right now. Also starting on a line HoJos.

It appears that micromaxx involves as much new information as HPR does. Any advice for someone looking to get into this? I'm figuring a starter set is the first stop. And I saw a few I wouldn't mind having.

This reply is merely to applaud you on using "piqued" correctly. I can't offer a thing on Micromaxx, other than my continued admiration for those who can achieve such detail at that scale.

Later!

--Coop

This reply is merely to applaud you on using "piqued" correctly. I can't offer a thing on Micromaxx, other than my continued admiration for those who can achieve such detail at that scale.

Later!

--Coop

+1 on all counts! :wink:

Later!

--Coop

+1 from me as well. I also appreciate that it wasn't spelled "peaked"

I've been poking around the MMX forum a lot more recently. It would be nice to have the option of launching in the back yard. I also think that a 3 motor mDRM would be quite a sight!

I love doing upscales and downscales. I'm doing an entire line of PAC-3 rockets right now. Also starting on a line HoJos.

It appears that micromaxx involves as much new information as HPR does. Any advice for someone looking to get into this? I'm figuring a starter set is the first stop. And I saw a few I wouldn't mind having.

Well Kruegon there is much info to be gleened from this particular forum. and taking a long look at the Micro Maxx Gallery / Photos & tips sub forum. Lots of info in both.

I would also welcome you to the MicroMaxRockets Yahoo group which was started by Art Applewhite a few years ago before TRF had a MMX forum. Once Joined the files section has a ton of info on how, what and where to get or convert ground support equipment, find the best materials and who is making MMX kits. as well as having a photo album section that picture models from many contributors.

To be perfectly honest: about the only starter set I'd suggest would be from Quest Aerospace Engineering. The provided modified tri-pod launcher does a pretty fair job and the 9v hand-held controller is almost instantly convertable to 12V DC with the addition of a drop cable with some 30amp battery clips. I personally prefer my own Launcher set on a Digital camera tripod to get the models Way Up off the ground but will use either a modified 12V DC Estes or Quest hand controller.
I can not stress enough the importance of switching from 9v or AA battery controllers to a simple 12V 7ahr gel-cell or larger as your power source. This one simple fairly inexpensive modification all but eliminates NO Launch igniter problems. I can't remember the last time I've had a model no launch on the very first push of the button with any of my 12v modified controllers. (OBTW- my Quest Pistol grip controller and battery drop cable required NO internal modification to the 9v controller. It's been working perfectly for more the 7 years).

I use bare 30ga nichrome for most of my MMX flying using the old FP wadding ball and tape method of Igniter retension. I generally prepare 20 or 30 motors head of time with these 2" long folded 30ga Nichrome wires. All that's needed is to pop the motor into the model on the field or pre-prepped the night before the launch. Sure makes thing go quicker on the field.

I have also learned the very best method of recovery is with Teflon Plumbers Tape in 1/4" to 1" width as the Streamers. I've found Mutted color PTFE(Teflon) Military grade (slightly thicker) Thread sealing tape in Red, Orange, Yellow & Green in 43ft rolls from McMaster-Carr and other industrial supply companies. 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" wide rolls have been the most useful. Most minimum diameter (T2+ =.281" OD) tube models require only 1/4" or 3/8" x about 9" long Streamers.
The only trick to using Teflon Tape Streamers is they must be Talc baby powdered well on both sides before the first fold-rolling and about every other launch there after.

Over the last 16 years I've also noticed that the best "Performance to Detailing" size for most Micro Maxx downscales has proven to be T3 (.375" OD) Airframes.
These craft tubes have the same .013" wall as Estes smaller tubes. Quest has there own minumum diameter and T3 size tubes in very short lengths but as with all their tubes the sizes are not "industry standard".

Best performance models are in the .08 to 7.5gram mass size, good performance can be had with models in the 7.5 to 13.0 gram mass range. Larger models 13.5 to 18grams will fly with very low altitudes. 2 to 7 motor clusters can have a launch masses of over 27g.

Many of my Micro Scale models with T3 or T4 airframes fall into the 13 to 16gram range. giving pretty fair flight performance and plenty of good detailing opertunities.
Hope these comments help.

Last edited:

I've been poking around the MMX forum a lot more recently. It would be nice to have the option of launching in the back yard. I also think that a 3 motor mDRM would be quite a sight!
I learn something new every day. I actually never knew that's how "pique" was used. :p

LOL! you don't need a 3 motor clustered Micro DRM for it to be both interesting and very High flying. T4 (.448"OD) makes a really Nice size model that looks and fly great in standard RED &Black or in Camo colors Summer or Winter. Looks even better flying from a Micro Scale Launcher from the back of the original DRM instruction page:)

MM 234a-sm_DerRedMax-4fin_09-15-00.jpg

MM 234b_& c_Der Red Camo Max's_03-03-04.jpg

MM 234b2a-sm_Der Red Max b&c  Launcher _05-29-04.jpg

MM 234b5a05_MM DerRedMax sum-camo on pad(128dpi)_07-15-06.jpg

MM 234c-Lp15b2_Winter Camo DRM ready for flight_11-16-08.jpg

MM 234c-LP15a_Hookin her UP_11-16-08.jpg

LOL! you don't need a 3 motor clustered Micro DRM for it to be both interesting and very High flying. T4 (.448"OD) makes a really Nice size model that looks and fly great in standard RED &Black or in Camo colors Summer or Winter. Looks even better flying from a Micro Scale Launcher from the back of the original DRM instruction page:)

I know that I don't NEED it...:cool:

I know that I don't NEED it...:cool:

Rock on Bro'!!!:headbang:

My next BMS order includes parts to make MMX rockets, and they definitely won't NEED the .5oz. glass cloth, or the even tinier than micro-button, "Nano-buttons" for Nanobeam, but that's what they will get!:wink:

51mmhG8dduL._SL1000_.jpg71Sd2bCUnuL._SL1500_.jpg

NANOBEAM!!!

Last edited:
Kru....

To get ya started..check out FlisKits micro page.. they have a nice HoJo & V-2 & Saturn....

https://www.fliskits.com/products/01prod_fs.htm Lots of parts for scratch building.

My Honest John. & a simple home made launch adapter for Micro's

100_2253.jpg 100_4113.jpg

Another I found somewhere [did not build]& the real.

attachment-1.jpg attachment.jpg

They are bit more work at first with such small parts. A little patience & creativity and the skies the limit.

Last edited:
I was looking at Quest for the starter kit. I checked out FlisKits during my searching. Saw the HoJo there. Saw the Saturn V. Missed the V2. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Anyone else think it's wrong to have HoJo's from micro to L2, and every motor diameter in between?

I'm not sure how quickly I'm going to jump in, but it'll be after NSL.

Anyone else think it's wrong to have HoJo's from micro to L2, and every motor diameter in between?

You're asking us if it's wrong to have more rockets? That's like asking the inmates how to run the asylum!

We (FlisKits) also have a micro starter set. Quest launch pad &eco trolled and a Doo Hickey micro rocket (Jig-Tech fins). From our home page, click on PRODUCTS then LAUNCH CONTROLLERS

We also sell motors and igniters for micro.

Jim

My only MMX kit so far is the FlisKits Teeny Triskelion.
It was apparent at first sight that no corners were cut when it comes to quality. The parts were all A++, and assembling it was a true joy!
I will definitely be getting another one of the same, and even though it is my first MMX kit, I would recommend it, as it impressed me that much.
My Teeny Triskelion was given to me by a member here with some TLP parts. As soon as I saw it amongst all the large stuff it immediately commanded my interest, as I had seen it mentioned in threads here.

Teeny Triskelion 2002-12-31 007.jpg

I hear the HoJo has TTW fins, so I'm going to have to try that one next.

Blackjack, that grey HoJo looks incredible!:clap:

Last edited:
One way or the other, I'm getting the HoJo. Even if it was only ever a display. But I've been building series kits, clones and customs lately.

I'm building two different sized PAC-3 missiles right now. I'm already working on a couple of downscales of it. My plan is to have a PAC-3 launch day. Start at BT-20 and step up one motor size all the way to my 4" / 54mm L2 version. Adding a micro / 6mm to that list would top it all off.

Gotta do the same with my HoJos. And I'm looking at the Phoenix to go with it. I think the AMRAAM will be the hardest to find parts for.

Where can I get parts data for RockSim on the Micromaxx parts?

One way or the other, I'm getting the HoJo. Even if it was only ever a display. But I've been building series kits, clones and customs lately.

I'm building two different sized PAC-3 missiles right now. I'm already working on a couple of downscales of it. My plan is to have a PAC-3 launch day. Start at BT-20 and step up one motor size all the way to my 4" / 54mm L2 version. Adding a micro / 6mm to that list would top it all off.

Gotta do the same with my HoJos. And I'm looking at the Phoenix to go with it. I think the AMRAAM will be the hardest to find parts for.

Where can I get parts data for RockSim on the Micromaxx parts?

While I haven't done a model of the PAC-3 missile, the Hojo, Phoenix, AMRAAM and more are already in my fleet with One-Page scale plans available for download in the files section of MMXrocketsgroup if your interested. If you can't find a drawing your looking for just drop me a line (sometime I forget which drawing have not yet been uploaded to the group).

have fun with your multi scale model groups. I've always found them a fun way to fly a given prototype.

As for Parts lists for Roc-sim, You'll have to do what the rest of us have done, type in the data as custom parts using the manufactures dimensions. Quest, Totally Tubular, FlisKits,& ASP show most of the measurement in their catalogs or webpages. MMX roc-sim motor files are posted in the files section of the MMXRocketsgroup.
Hope this helps.

MM 276a1-sm_AGM-12b Bullpup A 26.9149_02-10-04.jpg

MM 376_MM Hawk Missile (50th Scale) A.S.P._05-14-11.jpg

MM 377_MM Honest John M31A1 1_80 Scale T3 (Fliskit)_04-28-11.JPG

MM 386a1a_Micro Phoenix (T3) 6.933 Scale_04-18-12.jpg

MM 397b_Little John & Launcher Complete_01-13-14.jpg

MM 398_Exocet MM-39 36.5333 Scale (T3)_12-20-13.jpg

MM 413a2_MIM-104 Patriot Missile Stats Complete_04-22-15.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone built the HoJo? What BT is it? I saw the nose cone is available as both 3 & 4.

Been looking at the rtf starter set from Quest. Figure it'll let me see how they fly and gives me a launch setup for others. Only people showing to have them is Quest and Model Aerospace. Quest says out of stock. Model Aerospace has a dicey reputation.

Anyone know where else they can be found?

Been looking at the rtf starter set from Quest. Figure it'll let me see how they fly and gives me a launch setup for others. Only people showing to have them is Quest and Model Aerospace. Quest says out of stock. Model Aerospace has a dicey reputation.

Anyone know where else they can be found?

Sorry Kruegon: Fliskits I understand has some form of MMX starter sets. If they don't have one in stock my strong suggestion is to make your own add-on MMX Launcher that will fit over your standard 1/8" Launch rod. All that is needed is a spend 18mm motor casing, a standard 1/8" Launch Lug and a .049" or .050" diameter x 9" length of Steel or Stainless Steel music wire (See photo below).
Any Controller you have can work with MMX motors if you use the old standard wadding and tape installation method.

There are other ways to make up Micro Clips for MMX launchers but for now I'll say it's just as easy to use your existing controller leads with standard 1-1/8" smooth Jaw micro clips. I've added a few photos of different type of MMX Launcher bases. Any one can be used with any micro-clip controller.
Hope some of this helps.

View attachment 18mm Slip-over rod MMX launch Adaptor-c_08-08-03.pdf

Quick n Dirty-p04_3pic Micro Slip-onLaunch base_08-08-03.jpg

Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-n_Add-on Clip & Rod_03-31-02.JPG

Multi-Use MMX Launcher Base-o_on 10segment Tripod_03-31-02.JPG

Simple Camera Tripod Launcher Base-a_08-10-09.JPG

Simple Camera Tripod Launcher Base-b_08-10-09.JPG

TripodLaunchRodAdaptor-a1_St.Stl.25in x.875in RodCoupling_08-11-12.jpg

TripodLaunchRodAdaptor-b1_.049inSt.StlRod&Deflector_5-19-01.jpg

Fliskits sells a couple. MMX still appears to be in its infancy. If we support the market, we'll start to see more options.

Fliskits sells a couple. MMX still appears to be in its infancy. If we support the market, we'll start to see more options.

Infancy? Micro Maxx has been around since 1999. True that is a drop in the 50years that Model Rocketry has been around but it's anything but in it's infancy.

You are correct in that if we continue to support this niche of model rocketry we should see more folks producing more kits. but everything else is already currently available.
The very best T2+ and T3 part are currently available from Fliskits. With a very nice assortment of profiles. Transitions as well, along with centering rings and just about anything you might want when it comes to MMX scratch building. I personally turn most of my own bass wood nosecones and treansitions but buy Fliskit Balsa parts as every single one I've purchased has been first rate and reasonably priced.

If one can't find a part or piece of equipment available from any of the many current vendors then do as most of us Maxxers have done over the last 16 years... Make it yourself.

Well, in my defense, I did say appears lol. And I didn't mean as in brand new but as in yet undeveloped in comparison to other forms of rocketry. Many things can contribute to this, but I'm guessing overall involvement is the biggest factor to the limited selection of cones and transition sizes. I, for one, will give it a true try. If it turns out to be within my skill level, I'll do my part to contribute to its expansion.

Now if only I could turn cones on a drill press.

Well, in my defense, I did say appears lol. And I didn't mean as in brand new but as in yet undeveloped in comparison to other forms of rocketry. Many things can contribute to this, but I'm guessing overall involvement is the biggest factor to the limited selection of cones and transition sizes. I, for one, will give it a true try. If it turns out to be within my skill level, I'll do my part to contribute to its expansion.

Now if only I could turn cones on a drill press.

At MMX Scale, you should be able to come up with an easy way to turn them. I have never looked, but I assume that BMS may have balsa dowels in the smaller diameters.

Last edited:
They have some balsa nose blocks in BT-20 that are like 2" long. Wouldn't be a bad place to start.

I have no experience turning and thing. My limited knowledge and tools means is probably be looking at doing a turn with my drill press and sandpaper. But that'd be just eyeballing the shape.

They have some balsa nose blocks in BT-20 that are like 2" long. Wouldn't be a bad place to start.

I have no experience turning and thing. My limited knowledge and tools means is probably be looking at doing a turn with my drill press and sandpaper. But that'd be just eyeballing the shape.

Turning .281" or even .375" od balsa nosecones on a drill press can be done but you'd be much better off Starting with a Basswood dowel or square 5/16" in diameter or square. That gives you a little breathing room. Basswood is a bit heavier but is also quite a bit stiffer then Balsa with a much tighter and clean straight grain. I recommend using Flat Files and sanding sticks or blocks 120, 240 and 360girts to shape your cones and transitions.

To start I always turn the initial block down to the air frame OD + about .005" to allow for finish sanding, then turn the shoulder at least 5/16" (.3125") long for T2+ that would be .255" ID for a .013" wall tube. T3 (.375") tubes require a little longer shoulder about 3/8" with a diameter of .349" to fit the ID. A dial caliper is an invaluable tool for turning parts. You can pick one up for a very good price at Harbor freight. ( I wouldn't go with the electronic calipers as they go through batteries very fast) as simple dial caliper the reads to .001" is all that's needed.

All that said: Have you looked at the selection of available T2+ and T3 nosecones and transitions available immediately from Fliskits? They are Balsa and are of exceptional quailty.
You might also look a ASP (aerospace specialty products) they still have a listing of available MMX Scale kits that are very will documented and pretty good starters for scale models.

Just to go a bit further in my explaination of how FAR Micro Maxx has advanced since it's introduction in 1999 by Quest. We now have every form of Micro model that is flown in standard Model Rocketry execpt egg-lofting as we have yet to find a suitable micro size item fragile enough to represent an astornaut. We have many different Parachute and Streamer recovery models. We have Flat, X-form and hemispherical chutes for Micros. We have all types of Gliders: Boost Gliders , Rocket Gliders, Flex-wing, Swing Wing Slide Wing and even a RCRG micro Rocket glider. There are a number of Competition worthy Micro Helicopter duration models both kit and scratch built. Several different Maple Seed type break apart Helicopter models, As mentioned earlier We have all kinds of Scale Micro models with incredible detailing. A vast aray of PMC (Micro Plastic Model Conversions) Competition and Sport flying models. Two and Three stage micro models (I have yet to get back any of the 3rd stage sustainers). We have Clustered Micro models Up to 12 motors, most are 2, 3, 4 or 6 motor combinations that almost teleport the model to apogee in an instant
There have been several Micro Model events held accoss the country and at NARAMS over the past few years. We now have a 1/8A Pee-Wee Payload that is recognized by the NAR as a provisional event for national competition. and each competition event in the NAR sporting code (Pink book) has a 1/8A motor class and current national Record for A, B, C and Team divisions.

We have All manor of Micro Odd-Rocs from Spools to just about any type holiday or occasion theme models you can think of.

Currrently there are 3 different motors available for our models the Old original plastic cased MMX-1 motor 1/8A.2-1 (.163Ns), The Current MMX-11 motor 1/8A.5-1(.284Ns), and our current staging booster/ cluster motor MMX-11-NE that has been factory altered to remove the ejection charge leaving the avarage .854s delay. This "Booster" motor delay does sometime cause a bit of heart stopping between booster burnout and upper stage ignition but so far I'm happy with the results. MMX-11 and MMX-11-NE are competition certified.

We also have electronics including staging timers and tiny altimeters but the Battery required makes airframes smaller then T4 (.448") Very tight.

As far as Launch Equipment goes: We have all the standard everyday single .049 or .050 Launch rod launchers, new MakerBeam micro Rails and Micro Rail buttons, Several type tower launchers, and micro piston launchers from the Cheap-n-Dirty tube & dowel type to standard Metal head and advanced Floating head Micro pistons models. Controllers are either hand held or these launcher can be used with ANY Club 12v controller.

In summation; If it's being done in Model Rocketry with the exception of " Egg-Loft", it's being done today in Micro Model Rocketry.
Hope that helps clear up any doubts you have about this particular facet of the hobby. or where it is going.
Ho and yes that is why I'm called Micromeister LOL!

Last edited:
In summation; If it's being done in Model Rocketry with the exception of " Egg-Loft", it's being done today in Micro Model Rocketry. Hope that helps clear up any doubts you have about this particular facet of the hobby. or where it is going.
Ho and yes that is why I'm called Micromeister LOL!

Dual deploy? :wink:

Anyway, I would love to see some of this stuff in person (both stationary and flying) but have never come across any of it. Do people fly this stuff at normal club launches, or would it typically be done elsewhere or at other events? Certainly doesn't require a waiver... (?)

Dual deploy? :wink:

Anyway, I would love to see some of this stuff in person (both stationary and flying) but have never come across any of it. Do people fly this stuff at normal club launches, or would it typically be done elsewhere or at other events? Certainly doesn't require a waiver... (?)

LOL! Dual Deploy is not generally done in "Model Rocketry" that is a HPR necessity.
Yep! most of the clubs here on the east coast Normally have Micro flyers at their sport launches. I've even heard micros have been flown at some HPR launches.
perhap Mr. Stafford will chime in here I believe he has launched a few over on the eastern shore at an MDRA launch or two?

Last edited:
Back