High Power Launch Control System Options

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManOntheMoon

Reaction score
I came upon an older thread that discussed various options of high power launch control systems available for sale "turn-key" because our club is exploring options for a high-powered launch controller system and wants to know what is available to purchase from a "turn-key" perspective. Our club has been borrowing a high-power controller from another club and had some complications with their system at a launch last weekend. I started to put together a list of high-level requirements and want to know if the community has additional input and suggestions for our club to consider. Here are some of the high-level requirements that I thought would be important.

1. The controller should have a safety interlock that is in series with the launch switch that is not installed until a rocket is ready for launch that includes a launch switch that returns to the “off” position when released. The function of onboard energetics and firing circuits should be inhibited except when the rocket is ready in the launching position with people at a distance that is safe for the launch.
2. The controller should have a continuity check.
3. A condition of sale should include the parts list and schematic so that we can repair it in the future.

Some other considerations include number of pads the system supports and the potential distance to the controller. Our field is relatively small, so the largest motor we could likely support is a L motor, limiting the longest distance needed to 500'. Safety is a major factor, so we want to make sure redundancies are built into the design to avoid potential problems. I am also curious to hear what the community thinks about wireless options and any other considerations we should take into account. What systems are available on the market today, and how much do they cost?

I highly recommend the Wilson F/X system. It is safe, reliable, scalable, and Brad's support is second to none. It isn't the cheapest on the market but you get what you pay for IMHO.

Zach

Last edited:
I don't know about "turn-key" systems since ours was custom built by several members. The following is what we have, you can take or leave any features.
Wireless system where the pad box is completely self contained, including battery, battery charger, and clip-whip storage. We just drop off one pad box by each set of pads and everything needed for setup is in the box. They can also be set down by any electrical outlet and charged without needing to find a charger or take the battery out, just plug in the charger cord.

I have used WilsonFX for two years and highly recommend it.

Hello Man on the Moon,

I was just wondering where you live and fly rockets? The reason I'm asking is because there are now 26 clubs across the USA (plus one in Australia) who are using Wilson F/X digital launch control systems. If I knew what region of the country you lived in, I might be able to send you to a club closed enough to your area which is already using a Wilson F/X launch system. That way you could see one of my systems for yourself. And you could talk with a club that already has experience with Wilson F/X technology and service.

Just trying to be helpful.

Brad, the Rocket Rev.," Wilson
Wilson F/X Digital Control Systems
WFX/CCBW: Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

We are in our third or fourth season (old and can't remember) with our Wilson F/X System and I recommend it highly. Actually "Plug n Play" comes to mind. If you are using it as a wired version you do have to purchase your own extension cords along with providing the batteries. Systems are available to operate from one single pad to 128 pads from the same controller. It is expandable at any time so it can grow with your club or you can just set up a minimal launch system for those intimate impromptu launches. ;)

1. The controller should have a safety interlock that is in series with the launch switch that is not installed until a rocket is ready for launch that includes a launch switch that returns to the “off” position when released. The function of onboard energetics and firing circuits should be inhibited except when the rocket is ready in the launching position with people at a distance that is safe for the launch.

Wilson F/X meets all of these requirements. The safety interlock has a removable key that is in the hand of the LCO. No pads can be powered up without this switch being on.

2. The controller should have a continuity check.

There is a continuity check both at the pad and at the LCO table. Also a warning when there is no continuity or when more than one pad is armed.

3. A condition of sale should include the parts list and schematic so that we can repair it in the future.

While this system does not come with a schematic it does come with some of the best support available. I called Brad a couple of weeks ago on a Friday afternoon just to ask a question because we were converting to all wireless. He answered the phone immediately and we talked for about 20 minutes. He knows this system inside and out. Over the time we have had our system we have had to replace one continuity button and the key switch. Both failed due to poor storage methods and improper handling by us.

Brad can talk you through anything you need to know. Repairs though, unlike every other system I have been around, are just not necessary. At least they haven't been for us.

Honestly, I can't imagine using anything else and I have built a few large systems of my own.

I've launched with Joe Grubb and help set up launches using the same Wilson system he is talking about. Great system. You will not find anything better for launching rockets. And they now have a wireless option. And just to let you know, the system ain't cheap, but if your club can afford it you will be very pleased with it.

We have some guys look into fireworks controllers and so far they don't seem to be up to the task of launching rockets. The only ones we have found do a short burst of power instead of a continuous signal when you push the button. If all igniters worked like a Quest igniter that would probably be OK, but we all know that sometimes you need to pump some power through those igniters to get a motor to light.

Our wilsonFX is 100% wireless minus the first bank oflow power pads. We are very happy that's E can set up up quickly and it is 100% reliable.

Hello Man on the Moon,

I realized that there was one question that you asked that I did not answer: how much do they cost?

And yes, I know its not actually March yet, but as I just updated the list I thought, I'd update the date too.

So here's my current price list: 03-2018

LCU-64 64-pad digital launch controller - The brains --------------------------$250
WFX system, for up to 8 banks of 8 pads each
reads good/bad continuity of each pad, reads voltage
from the battery at the pad as well as the controller’s
battery’s voltage. May only select one bank of pads
at a time. All features work hard-wired or wireless.

LCU-128 Same as the LCU-64 except controls 16 banks of --------------------$300
8 pads each for a total of 128 pads.

LCU-64X Custom 64 pad controller with RGB LED status lights ---------------- $1200
on all pads and banks, on Key switch, built in wireless
unit, LCD screen with remote voltage readings from
banks of pads, volume control on the buzzer, all in a
custom Pelican Case with aluminum anodized insert
switch/light plate.

LCU-128X Same as the LCU-64X except with 16 banks of ------------------------ $1400
pads rather than just 8 banks of pads.

PBU-8 an 8-pad pad-box with 8x, 30’ igniter leads. This is ----------------- $500
The large muscle of the WFX system. Reads good/bad
continuity at the pad, as well as voltage of battery
at the pads. Continuity check is safe for ALL
known commercial igniters including flashbulbs.

PBU-8w Exactly the same as the PBU-8 with one exception, ----------------- $650
there is a built in Wilson F/X wireless unit

PBU-4 a 4-pad pad-box with 4 igniter leads with all the ------------------$275
same features of the PBU-8 in a smaller size and
for a smaller price.

PBU-4w Exactly the same as the PBU-4 with one exception, ---------------- $425
there is a built in Wilson F/X wireless unit

PBU-1 a single pad pad-box with one igniter. A single pad ------------------ $130
version with the same features as the PBU-8 only
for just one pad

PBU-1w a single pad pad-box with built in wireless unit, ----------------- $280
includes voltage reading and remote voltage reporting

WRU-c a plug/play digital wireless unit (tx & rx) with WFX ----------------- $160
Programming. You need at least one pair to start.

LCU-1 A single pad controller for the individual with remote ------------------ $130
voltage reading from your PBU-1

LCU-1w A single pad controller with all the same features as ------------------ $280
the LCU-1 with the addition of a built in wireless unit.

ARM-1 The Armageddon Switch for clubs that want to do --------------- $125
MASS Drag Races of all their WFX pad-boxes
All at the same time. Not for the faith of heart.
Bypasses normal single bank only selection.

WRU-Adpt The special power adapter for a WFX controller ----------------------- $25
and its WRU-c transmitter for those who want an
all-wireless Wilson F/X launch system.

SPW-Pel This is the Single Pad Wireless launch system in ------------------ $795
Pelican Cases. It has all the features of the LCU-1w
and the PBU-1w with the addition of being housed in
Pelican Cases and includes WFX custom aluminum
front panels by Front Panel Express.

Last edited:
+1 on WislonFX
I've literally been brought up on these. I fly with various clubs around the country & most use WislonFx.

Not cheap,nor are they expensive, when you see what ya get for your money, you'll be very satisfied!
Number 1 fact with these... is reliability....they just work...all the time.

I'm going to give you a link to the only other non-DIY multiple launch controller available for sale that I know of (please somebody, prove me wrong and list all the other multi-launch controllers out there :) ):

Pratt Hobbies SIXPACK, 149.95USD, battery and cables not included. https://pratt-hobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIXPK-1

Question about your requirement #1, Why include the operation of on-board electronics in a launch controller feature request ? I don't know if Doug Pratt or the Rocket Rev provide schematics with the sale of their systems.

+1 on WislonFX
I've literally been brought up on these. I fly with various clubs around the country & most use WislonFx.

Not cheap,nor are they expensive, when you see what ya get for your money, you'll be very satisfied!
Number 1 fact with these... is reliability....they just work...all the time.

+2! Using the Wilson FX at BALLS since 2016.

RocketRev has the ability to make a dead thread from 2016 come back to life. Roll back the stone! It's a MIRACLE! (or marketing.) :wink:

Back