Tripoli Wisconsin Association (TWA) 3/12/16 Launch at Bong: SE Wisconsin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECayemberg

Reaction score
TWA hosted their third launch of 2016 this past Saturday. What an incredibly perfect day for flying! Not sure why, but there isn't ever much coverage of Bong related activities on TRF, especially from the TWA group....maybe 'cause there's a nice website (www.tripoliwisconsin.org). Anyway, it was a great day, so here's a few photos.

Started off the day with a Caliber ISP on a Kosdon I145 Dirty Harry. Slow, smoky flight.

005_zpsbzidfj3i.jpg

Preston Nobile flew his RW All American on a Redneck Red from the No-Bull Motor Factory

012_zpsf14drqcn.jpg

013_zpspgvbkr7j.jpg

Mini-me helps recover the Caliber.

014_zpschcwgd6a.jpg

Bill Bertoldi took the trip down to Bong from Kingsford, MI. He flew this tall 4" Hawk Mountain rocket on a White Thunder motor. Love me some White Thunder!

017_zps63a6cdv9.jpg

Generation 3 Bong boys at the pad with a naked Mustang

019_zpszhb7o9nl.jpg

Mustang launches on an F40W

022_zps5o4gprur.jpg

Madison West's wing thingy (Pegasus, maybe?) on another sweet white thunder motor. Haze + white rocket+ white motor = a bit hard to focus on and see!

025_zpssqmuzt6p.jpg

Kevin Harnack took some really nice photos of the launch...far superior than the ones I took and am posting here. He also flew a 4" V-2 with a cable cutter. Took some time for the main to open, but opened in time!

027_zps7mp2loag.jpg

Loc Magnums are great; everybody should have one! Here's one on a Kosdon K600 Fast. Love Kosdon Fast....not always the most impressive photos, but the noise and acceleration from Kosdon Fast are fantastic!

030_zpsftysilwj.jpg

Recovered gently alongside the parking area:

047_zpsagfmsvrg.jpg

TCayemberg launched his AK-27 on a CTI I180 Skidmark. Nice boost, looking back at the flightline at the LCO and company:

057_zps6l8gl7co.jpg

058_zps3l4qsje6.jpg

...to be continued....

Last edited:
Very nice Eric. Wish I could have been there. Glad to see Kevin's V2 had better luck this month.

KCayemberg flew a 6" red rocket on a CTI 98-4G M1450 Classic. This rocket is for sale, cheap; deliverable to Three Oaks April, QCRS MMWP May, or a TWA or Woosh Bong launch. Anyway, it flew nicely on the M1450 which burned for a long time and recovered without a scratch!

064_zpsr6bppq0r.jpg

066_zpsdv8zjw6g.jpg

Admittedly, classic propellant isn't my favorite, but it made some nice mach diamonds after messing with the exposure settings.

067_zpsnevr0iey.jpg

Mr. Frank Nobile grabbed the camera while we armed No Thunder. We were both amused with the ground test arrangement of sticking the nose into the ground next to the pad.:)

080_zpsyiygxiob.jpg

CCayemberg flew his Formula 54 on a AT G74W. Nice flight, buddy!

083_zpsv734mq3u.jpg

No Thunder vaulted skyward on a Sconnie K1450 Blue. A full K or Baby L, she gets this cardboard critter moving! To 6k' in a hurry.

091_zpss8ptjhcy.jpg

BC was pretty bummed earlier in the day after the new Mustang came in hot. For reasons unknown, the delay never ignited in the F40...20 years of flying the Aerotech 29/40-120 hardware and the first failure. Thanks to the Mad-West team for bringing it back to the rangehead, she'll be fixed to fly again!

100_zpscaacje6o.jpg

TCayemberg returned with his PML 1/4 scale Patriot loaded with an Aerotech I211W. Great combination and a flight to over 2000' on a calm day. Nice!

103_zps3beoo5cw.jpg

Randy Lutz led a team that built an Exocet missile, complete with a 3D printed nose cone, and flew it successfully on more White Thunder!

108_zps41bs1uat.jpg

109_zpsvawrpjnk.jpg

Kevin C returned with a 4" Little John that had been prepped for some time. Launched well on a CTI J293 Blue.

111_zps4mway2qc.jpg

112bw_zpsephev9oo.jpg

That's all I've got for now. It was a busy day and would have loved to take more photos....the kids, old and young, kept me running! Special thanks to Frank, and Bob, for setting up, tearing down, helping at the pads, and pushing buttons all day. Thanks for letting us play at Bong!

Last edited:
Very nice Eric. Wish I could have been there. Glad to see Kevin's V2 had better luck this month.

Thanks Brad! Sorry we missed you last month for your L2 Cert! Hope to see you again soon!!!

Miki and I had a great time at Bong on Sat. like Eric said the weather was as good as its going to get for a rocket launch, Warm temps very low winds. the ground was a little wet but heck its Spring the ground will be wet. Its always great to see all the guys again after a long Winter. I flew my RW Rouge on a Pro 54 single grain white Thunder, Very nice motor for that rocket. All went well landed close to the pads. If anyone got a picture of it let me know. Thanks goes out to Bob, Frank, Carol, Kevin and Randy

I got there around 12:30ish due to prior constraints- launched my Interceptor 54 on an I55 mellow which went.. a little squirrelly. Also launched my 2.6" V2 on a G80 skidmark which flew much better. Didn't have any time in previous days to plan something bigger, but maybe next launch. Perfect weather though!

In the picture of the 4in V2, what motor was used? Love the flame in that shot.

I flew the CTI 54mm 1 grain White Thunder in my RW Rouge, Very nice flight to around 1800' I like the 1 & 2 grain 54mm CTI reloads.

I flew the CTI 54mm 1 grain White Thunder in my RW Rouge, Very nice flight to around 1800' I like the 1 & 2 grain 54mm CTI reloads.

Sorry I missed a photo of the flight, Gary. I was tracking Tom's rocket at the time and by the time I re-focused the camera, I missed liftoff. A nice close to the pads (and water!) landing too! I really like that Rogue, colors and shape/size is just plain nice!!!

-Eric-

Eric
I missed the water landed on the road. No damage. The metal tip on the nose cone came loose. I never had that happen before. Can see why that might be a problem on larger and much more powerful rockets. The Rouge is a good flyer

Nice pics Eric! Kinda bummed I had to leave early and it was indeed great flying weather!

Preston

....[/Not sure why, but there isn't ever much coverage of Bong related activities on TRF, especially from the TWA group....maybe 'cause there's a nice website

Don't feel bad, the NAR guys don't advertise Bong, Sod Farm, or JC much here either. I'm not the Facebook type, and it appears the Woosh 'forum' on YORF is pretty skinny.

Back