Hydroplaning rocket challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
Anyone who has watched my youtube videos knows that I like to do a lot of non-rocket rocket powered builds, like my rocket sled. I'm looking for other people who want to try and build the best hydroplaning vehicle. My vision is something that can start on land (say a beach) get some speed then skip over a body of water.

Is there anyone that would be interested in building one this summer and posting there successes and failures?

Impulse?

I have some pieces parts that are for a hydroplane looking rocket that I planned on building.

I think I could build something of that sort.This could be the ticket to use those parts.

Me-self..I do LPR and MPR.

Last edited:
some thoughts, based on viewing previous attempt videos...most problems are related to simply getting the 'boat' launched the one moderately successful boat had a launch 'rail' about 14' long. you need yaw control. general feeling in the club was that the fellow would have better luck if he had used the rocket to augment the electric motor (fire the rocket once the boat was on plane). another noob problem mostly they try this on 'sticky' water. design wise your boat will likely look much like this when finished. powered by a 650w motor(14.4v), speed 40 - 50 mph.
Rex

rrigger1.jpg

I agree with Rex. Sailing a skiff is all about getting it out of displacement mode 'out of the hole' and up onto a plane. Your life will be significantly easier if it's already on a plane.

It's common for folks to skip across the rivers on snow machines up here in the Great Land

There's skipping... then there's this:

[video=youtube;c57RYaL7YT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c57RYaL7YT0[/video]

yes, and bush pilots are known to extend their beach runways by starting and ending the landing/takeoff runs on the water. the snow machines and planes are already moving at planing speed before they touch the water(I've been told that it isn't pretty if a sled slows below critical speed :)).
Rex

Yep, as long as the water is not too choppy, and you keep the throttle wide open you should stay on top of the water. I saw a guy (who died a in a snow machine accident) sink in the lagoon when his machine stalled. He had quite the swim back to shore.

I think there's some confusion. I'm not wanting boat builds. My vision is vehicles that get their speed on land and enter the water and skips over the surface, the impulse could continue while on the water to further the distance of course. These vehicle don't even need to float, although it might be a good idea for recovering them. Hopefully that clears up the idea.

I also see some questions for rules to follow. Here they are:
1)have fun, be safe
2)post a video of what you come up with.

thats all, I through my idea out there and want people to be as creative and limitless as possible.

Last edited:
Anyone who has watched my youtube videos knows that I like to do a lot of non-rocket rocket powered builds, like my rocket sled. I'm looking for other people who want to try and build the best hydroplaning vehicle. My vision is something that can start on land (say a beach) get some speed then skip over a body of water.

Is there anyone that would be interested in building one this summer and posting there successes and failures?

[video=youtube;b6Y91iWQ6x8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Y91iWQ6x8[/video]

Despite how it ends, this is the perfect ride for a hydroplane. The key to the attitude is a balance of mass and lift which are controlled by how much air goes under the boat, where it comes out and the lift from the prop. With rocket propulsion, this would be very challenging. I don't see the thrust and CG being stable enough to achieve a ride like this even for a short period of time.

Although the boat in this video is a 1.5 Litre stock class hydroplane, the same principles apply to small models.

Ah Georgian Bay, I spent 10 years boating up there. That looks like the back of Beausoleil island (main channel) between the mainland/deer island near Honey Harbour, hard to tell but it is beautiful country up there and the boating is incredible.

Back