2.6 Sparrow OR file Help?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob702Martinez

Zip-Tie Oversight Committee
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I bought a TLP Sparrow kit...waited about 5 weeks for it.... and it arrived smashed. Awesome. When I opened up the package and dumped out everything on my bench... instantly I thought to my self... there is no way this is going to work for what I had in mind. So my TLP experience didnt last long. Long story short, I played with the file in OR as much as I could to make it as real as a build as possible.

Added a longer MMT with baffle system
Balsa tail cone
Scaled the fins 1/2 in. bigger than stock
Increased the weight
Added nose cone weight
Added a few 3/16 CR
36in chute
3:1 plastic nose cone
3/16 ply fins
Single deploy with Chute Release at the nose
29/40-120 thru 29/720 and SU engines.
BMS 2.6 standard body tubes
Increased length to 52in.

Can you guru's go over this file and let me know what I am missing or not doing right? My Nose and tail cone get here tomorrow and I want to get cracking on this ASAP... Thanks in advance.

View attachment tlp_sparrow_aim_7f.ork

Looks stable to me..

you have rail speed...

recovery is a bit fast at 19.3ft/s, it's ok and 'should' work.

watch your apogee delay charges. the I motor should be fine with a 14sec. the g motor needs to be cut down.
in your chute settings I changed it to apogee, instead of motor delay. That is what i do, but I use electronics most of the time.

only concern would be the middle set of fins.. the front of them I would put a centering ring for them to put up to with baffle holes.. are you deploying off the nose cone or the middle? could be mod into a dual deployment rocket. but with your height it should be fine.

It's going to be nose deploy with a extension tube from the motor charge and a chute release. I changed around some centering rings, good idea. Thanks for the help!

Back