Rocket Vision MachBuster Nose Cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Guys,

Does anyone know a source for the Rocket Vision Machbuster nose cones? I need a replacement nose cone.

Chuck

Guys,

Does anyone know a source for the Rocket Vision Machbuster nose cones? I need a replacement nose cone.

Chuck

Interesting that you only need a nosecone. Usually, one had to replace their machbuster after every flight. Have you considered having one 3D printed?

Interesting that you only need a nosecone. Usually, one had to replace their machbuster after every flight.

Agreed on that one!

I have a built machbuster in a box. I can take some measurements for you if you like Chuck. I suspect these are a unique size given the faint memory I have of this rocket. I think that I also have a "check 6" which is the same size that is in the "to be fixed" pile. If you are interested I'll do some digging.

Hi Chuck,

I just replied to you on Shapeways. I assume you're looking for a 29mm 4:1 ogive for the Machbuster? I've modeled one for you and made it available here

The WSF material is very strong, and you're unlikely to break the nose cone even if you lawn dart the rocket. The only issue is that the body tubes are often not *exactly* 29mm (and some are non-standard sizes!) so if you'd like to take accurate measurements with a caliper, I'd be happy to tweak the dimensions to fit. BT-55 for example has a 32.6mm inner diameter, which is 3.6mm larger than the shoulder OD - this nose cone would flop around.

On a side note, I'm up in NC. I really need to build an L1 and meet you guys for a day of flying :D

EDIT: I just found this design, which has dimensions for the Mach Buster nosecone. I've made the changes and uploaded the new nosecone to shapeways here

Last edited:
So, I recently came into possession of a built Rocket Vision Mach Buster, with no nose cone. I'm also fortunate enough to have purchased a couple F72-10 motors from an estate a couple years ago. Now, all I need is the NC.

Wetmelon, I see your nose cone design is still on shapeways, is this something you'd be willing to make one of? Thanks!

I'm for
-Paul

IIRC it was over 24mm aa a standard 24mm tube slid in to make the motor mount.

Yes, the OD is an exact match for 29mm SU motors.

The Nose cone is 5 inches long (Which includes the shoulder). The shoulder is .9985 inches in diameter. The shoulder is 3/4" long. The base of the nose cone is 1.133 inches in diameter.

The Nose cone is 5 inches long (Which includes the shoulder). The shoulder is .9985 inches in diameter. The shoulder is 3/4" long. The base of the nose cone is 1.133 inches in diameter.

Thanks, cwbullet!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LXG7TKBNY/rocket-vision-mach-buster-ogive?optionId=60256628

The dimensions are exact to your measurements. The price is a bit higher because the dimensions are a bit larger than I had. I make very (very) little markup on these.

Cool! So, I've not ordered on Shapeways before, anything I should be aware of? Is there any strength difference between white and colors? Thanks,

Pretty sure that this is your body tube material, as well: https://www.mcmaster.com/#8527K144

I have a length of this destined to become 29mm SU motors. BT-50 slips snugly inside and the OD is perfect inside of a 29mm motor mount. Need to do some calculations on what pressure I can run it at!

Cool! So, I've not ordered on Shapeways before, anything I should be aware of? Is there any strength difference between white and colors? Thanks,

There shouldn't be anything you have to do. The gist of Shapeways is that they're the manufacturer and the distributor. I upload a 3D model, they verify printability and come up with a cost for each material they offer. Then they give me the ability to set the mark-up and what materials I will allow people to purchase. As far as Shapeways is concerned, they make their money whether there's a mark-up or not. When someone buys a product, they accept the payment, manufacture the part, ensure it printed correctly, polish it, and ship it. I get the mark-up minus a small fee.

So basically you're dealing directly with Shapeways. If there's a problem with the design, they tell me it failed to print. If there's a problem with a manufacturing error, it's on them.

There shouldn't be any difference in strength between colors. They print in white, then dye it.

There shouldn't be anything you have to do. The gist of Shapeways is that they're the manufacturer and the distributor. I upload a 3D model, they verify printability and come up with a cost for each material they offer. Then they give me the ability to set the mark-up and what materials I will allow people to purchase. As far as Shapeways is concerned, they make their money whether there's a mark-up or not. When someone buys a product, they accept the payment, manufacture the part, ensure it printed correctly, polish it, and ship it. I get the mark-up minus a small fee.

So basically you're dealing directly with Shapeways. If there's a problem with the design, they tell me it failed to print. If there's a problem with a manufacturing error, it's on them.

There shouldn't be any difference in strength between colors. They print in white, then dye it.
Cool, thanks. Ordered!

How did those work out for y'all? Anything I can do to make the design better?

It looks like someone who wants to kit things now could make Rugged Rockets knockoffs.

How did those work out for y'all? Anything I can do to make the design better?
Sorry, just saw this! The NC worked perfect, I smoothed it out with Squadron, painted it gloss black to go with the orange body, and launched it this summer on a vintage F72-10. I used one of our HPR pads, given the age of the motor, and immediately upon ignition, it went BOOM! All that was left were little pieces of phenolic, and the nose cone. Well, it was a fun project anyhow!

Several years ago, I build a kinda sorta clone of this rocket. A buddy of mine had an unbuilt kit, I took some measurements of the parts. I used a PML 29MM body tube 11.5" long, (this may be a little longer that the original), a PML conical resin nose cone, and used a LOC 24-29 motor adaptor in the tube. I cut the find slots through the body tube, then epoxied the adaptor in, and used g-10 fins in the slots in the body tube to the adaptor. I've flown it several times, on everything from and Estes D-12 to AT F-72. Might be fun to stick the CTI F-240 in it. :)

Phil L.

Back