Finally discovered MicroMaxx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scud-B

Reaction score
I finally decided to give MicroMaxx motors a try, I added a Fliskit engine mount to an otherwise stock Estes Quark and gave the thing a few go's in the back yard... These little guys are addictive. I like that I can launch rockets in my back yard even though I live in an addition. Granted, because of the shape of my lot, I have a larger than average backyard for the area but its still roughly 50X80 but its plenty of space for a MicroMaxx rocket. This isn't likely to displace my bigger LPR/MPR rockets but it gives me something to do when I can't get to a bigger field.

I have a bulk pack of engines on the way now and I'm looking at BT5 based rockets for another project... I'm really considering a downscale clone of the Estes WAC Corporal as well.

image_zpsh40qsxnm.jpg

The Quark is one of those classic Estes rockets, low-flying, unstable, eye poking flights! I had one a few years back, and got a couple launches out of it before I lost it. Cool idea to add a Micromaxx motor, how high did it fly?

The Quark is one of those classic Estes rockets, low-flying, unstable, eye poking flights! I had one a few years back, and got a couple launches out of it before I lost it. Cool idea to add a Micromaxx motor, how high did it fly?

I flew tons of Mosquitos back in the day and lost every one of them on the first flight. I think I'll buy another Mosquito to fly on MicroMaxx now that I know I can get it back.
The Quark seems to balance well with the MicroMaxx motor and mount and flights are darned near straight, depending on launch angle.

As for altitude, I couldn't get a clear view of the rocket at apogee, it basically disappears. I'm going to try for a clear day so I can use the Estes Altitrack to teach my daughter some trig... hopefully the Quark will show up a little better under more clear conditions.

I have actually been recovering my Mosquito and 220 Swift this go around, but in my younger days the Mosquito was built many a time.
I weighed them down with paint, snd they fly super straight.
Almost lost the 220 once, but found it right next to my truck after giving up looking for it.

Last edited:
Mosquitos, Quarks, 220Swift and just about any standard BT-5 model will fly fairly well. That said you'll find if you get BT-3 (T-3) (.375" OD) body tubing you will more then double the altitude of most any model designed or Downscaled.

ASP (AeroSpecialty Products) has several Scale Micro Model kits available including a T-2+ Size Wac-Corporal.

I currently have 216 different Micro Maxx models in my fleet. The vast majority are built around T-3 Body tubes. These give the best compremise between Size and Flight performance.
Hope you continue to have as much fun flying micros as I have over the last 16 years.

MM 343a2-sm_MM 220Swift closeup_03-30-08.jpg

MM 319p03-sm_Quark MicroPower 2 pic(110dpi)_08-12-06.jpg

MM 294a-Lp08b_Mosquito-a After recovery_06-16-07.JPG

MM 294c-b_Mosquito show RearEject Pod & Streamer_03-14-14.jpg

MM 294d-uc09_MM Mosquito Rear EjectPod Complete_04-14-15.jpg

MM 352p01d-sm_MM Javelin (Kc-31) T3_10-23-08.jpg

MM 362p01_MM T3-T4 Midget 2-Stage_03-30-10.jpg

MM 399_Wac Corporal 41.81495 Scale Compete_02-16-14.jpg

Last edited:
I won't be shooting for any altitude records in my backyard. Right now I'm working on a simplified clone of a Sparrow powered by MicroMaxx. Performance should be just about right for the space I have in my yard.
image_zps3ufeuvpx.jpg

I test flew my clone this afternoon. Not much in the way of altitude, but straight as an arrow.
image_zpsfot87ppr.jpg

Sweet! I have not had a Sparrow since the 80's, but I feel a build coming on.
Pretty sure I have one or two of that nose cone somewhere around here.

I really like the look and flight qualities of the Sparrow. It would be a great kit for Estes to bring back.
Including my clone, I now have three but two of them are retired.

Just as an update. I set out a 46ft baseline and, using my Altitrack and a little trig, I determined that the Sparrow is reaching an altitude of roughly 45-46ft. That keeps splashdown well within my backyard and typically lands it within 25ft of the pad even with a light breeze.

my Sparrow is still without paint so I expect the performance to suffer slightly once it's finished, but it shows that smaller mass-market kits can be built and flown on MicroMaxx in a confined space with little or no issues.

On a side note, I did have a flight with my Quark during which the motor suffered from chuffing. I only have 14 MicroMaxx flights so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether it's a common occurrence.

Last edited:
Just as an update. I set out a 46ft baseline and, using my Altitrack and a little trig, I determined that the Sparrow is reaching an altitude of roughly 74-75ft. That keeps splashdown well within my backyard and typically lands it within 25ft of the pad even with a light breeze.

my Sparrow is still without paint so I expect the performance to suffer slightly once it's finished, but it shows that smaller mass-market kits can be built and flown on MicroMaxx in a confined space with little or no issues.

On a side note, I did have a flight with my Quark during which the motor suffered from chuffing. I only have 14 MicroMaxx flights so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether it's a common occurrence.

Since 1999 I've flown over 1000 MMX motors, a combination of MMX-1 and MMX-II, Never had a single misfire, chuff or Cato. I've only Seen or heard of one MMX Cato in all that time. I've been trying to heat cycle both MMX-1 & MMX-II motors by leaving them in my Van year round for the last 9 years. So far I haven't been able to Cato one even flying them in the dead of winter.

Very Cool Sparrow! The only Estes Sparrow in my fleet is set up for flying night launches with a single 12,000 mcd orange LED in the white nosecone, glo-in-the-dark Paint and Scotchlight reflective vinyl on the fins. Flys on 1/2A3, A3 and A10 motors just about every year over in our park or at the club night launches:)

091-b1d-sm_New Years Sparrow 3 pic pg_01-01-91.jpg

Since 1999 I've flown over 1000 MMX motors, a combination of MMX-1 and MMX-II, Never had a single misfire, chuff or Cato. I've only Seen or heard of one MMX Cato in all that time. I've been trying to heat cycle both MMX-1 & MMX-II motors by leaving them in my Van year round for the last 9 years. So far I haven't been able to Cato one even flying them in the dead of winter.

Very Cool Sparrow! The only Estes Sparrow in my fleet is set up for flying night launches with a single 12,000 mcd orange LED in the white nosecone, glo-in-the-dark Paint and Scotchlight reflective vinyl on the fins. Flys on 1/2A3, A3 and A10 motors just about every year over in our park or at the club night launches:)

I'll have to correct myself, I believe the tracked flight was only 45-46ft, I had my calculator set to radians by accident. Now I suspect I'm going to need to gather more altitude data so I can be more sure of the measurement. Not today though.

Yes, I think my chuff (I heard three distinct pulse) might have been a needle in a haystack. All of my other launches have been as nominal as might be expected.

Night launching huh? I used to do that with an Estes Sky Winder but never thought of setting up a rocket for just that purpose. Now I'm intrigued.

I'll have to correct myself, I believe the tracked flight was only 45-46ft, I had my calculator set to radians by accident. Now I suspect I'm going to need to gather more altitude data so I can be more sure of the measurement. Not today though.

Yes, I think my chuff (I heard three distinct pulse) might have been a needle in a haystack. All of my other launches have been as nominal as might be expected.

Night launching huh? I used to do that with an Estes Sky Winder but never thought of setting up a rocket for just that purpose. Now I'm intrigued.

Well since we are still talking about Micro Maxx Powered models: It is very possible to build and fly a number of different Down Scale models with single LEDs and 10mm 3v Lithium coin cell batteries. They can also be set-up to fly with Fishing Lure size (1" or 1-1/2") cylume sticks in clear payload sections. Because these Micros don't get more the a couple hundred feet of altitude cylume's are OK for Micro Night Flights.

221a1-sm_MM NITE-2000_LEDS payloader_12-03-99.jpg

239a-sm_MM Hercules 2-Stage_12-13-00.jpg

241Lp02-sm_MM AssateagueLiteHouse 2pic_09-13-03.jpg

354p01d-sm_MM Payloader-II (T3) Complete_10-23-08.jpg

Just out of curiosity, for those of you like MM who fly Micro Maxx motors, have you heard anything about the continuing availability of motors now that AT owns Quest? I visited Bill in Pagosa Springs years ago and saw a shed on the property. I had thought that someone had said that it was filled with MM motors.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you like MM who fly Micro Maxx motors, have you heard anything about the continuing availability of motors now that AT owns Quest? I visited Bill in Pagosa Springs years ago and saw a shed on the property. I had thought that someone had said that it was filled with MM motors.

I haven't heard anything and no one has suggested to me that availability might be limited in the future. I assume someone would step in to fill the market even if AT decided to end that Quest product line.

AT/Quest still have motors, starter sets and a few parts available and shipping them to dealers.

My guess would be that they are probably going through existing stock considering how many items are out of stock on their website, and have been for a long time now. I just wondered if anyone heard them talk about producing more MM motors.

My guess would be that they are probably going through existing stock considering how many items are out of stock on their website, and have been for a long time now. I just wondered if anyone heard them talk about producing more MM motors.

Haven't heard anything recently. The last time I spoke with Bill Stine he indicated they had just recieved their latest MMX-II million motor order. That was about 3 years ago. We were talking about the possibilty of getting a real -0 booster MMX motor. At the time Bill was very receptive to the idea stating he wished we had had the conversation before their current order was completed. I have no doubt that as the motor sales have increased over the last couple years AT will more then likely keep the line going as more and more sport and competition flyers discover these fine little 1/8A motors.

Last edited:
Haven't heard anything recently. The last time I spoke with Bill Stine he indicated they had just recieved their latest MMX-II million motor order. That was about 3 years ago.

I would seriously hope that's not the last of them. I just got interested in this. Would really suck to not be able to get motors right as I start into it.

We were talking about the possibilty of getting a real -0 booster MMX motor. At the time Bill was very receptive to the idea stating he wished we had had the conversation before their current order was completed.

That would be a major plus. The fact that the booster motors had a delay grain was a point of concern. But I also figured that if people were using them, they must work. I was concerned about roll over at burn out of the booster and the sustainer going "cruise missile" in me. But again, if people use them, I figure they must work. Now I'm curious about a MMX Farside-X. Or would it be a Farside-MMX-X?

I would seriously hope that's not the last of them. I just got interested in this. Would really suck to not be able to get motors right as I start into it.

That would be a major plus. The fact that the booster motors had a delay grain was a point of concern. But I also figured that if people were using them, they must work. I was concerned about roll over at burn out of the booster and the sustainer going "cruise missile" in me. But again, if people use them, I figure they must work. Now I'm curious about a MMX Farside-X. Or would it be a Farside-MMX-X?

I doubt the current MMX-II motor run will be the last. Bill worked a long time on getting the motors certified and the line started. While the Chinese manufacture really screwed the poch making the original run all plastic RTF models aka "Little Plastic Bricks" several of them are still avaiable and fly OK.
But the other Micro Kit manufacturers (Fliskits & ASP) and scratch builders like myself have been moving the niche forward for over a decade now.

As for staged models, 2- Staged have worked out very well on many levels. 3-Staged models not so much, I have the first and second stage of my Mincomanche-3 from two builds, one all minimum diameter T2+, and a slightly larger T3 body model.
I have yet to see or HEAR the third stage sustainer from either model. That said both did fly perfectly straight on MMX-II-NE, MMX-II-NE,MMX-II motors. Build and fly 3 staged if you like, but don't spend a bunch of time finishing as you're not going to get the sustainer back. 2-Stage are a different story. You can even buy a two stage kit from Fliskits it's called "Doubles".
Hope these thoughts give you some comfort:)

MM 400_.448in dia x 8in MM 2-staging Tests_02-09.JPG

MM 415uc09_Doubles 2-Stage complete_10-10-15.jpg

MM 362p01_MM T3-T4 Midget 2-Stage_03-30-10.jpg

I have an Apogee kit that uses their old 10mm motors. Does anyone know of a way to convert it to Micro Maxx?

I does not weigh much just an 8" 10mm tube, balsa nose and fins, a engine block ant launch lug.

I will try the foam tape.

Back