NAR/Tripoli & CAR - Why the discrepancy in written test requirement?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked around some more and was informed that those ORG Tripoli members that later joined CAR did not in fact have to retest. My misunderstanding. What they did have to do however was take the Transport Canada test. This may have been due to the fact that they got their Tripoli certifications in the US with the MARS club in Geneseo (where I got my L1 and L2).

You are incorrect.

In a way I was wrong, but I was also correct to state that 'retesting' was involved.

Canadian Tripoli members wishing to grandfather into CAR must:
Pay a CAR membership fee
Give evidence of certification
Complete the C.A.R. certification exam

It seems that the 'retesting' ORG members had to do in order to fly with CAR was to take the Transport Canada test. And this was probably due to the fact that they got their certs while flying in the US.

But it clearly states that in order to grandfather you must "Complete the C.A.R. certification exam"

So what is the "C.A.R. certification exam"? Could they be referring to the transport Canada test?

The current CAR exam is a two part exam 25 Transport Canada questions on law and regulations associated with rocketry (must get 100% on this section) and a 25 question section on principles of rocketry.

There are a few things here:

1 - in order to legally fly HPR in Canada, the flyer has to have written & passed the TC exam. This is a government requirement.

2 - CAR launch insurance only covers CAR members, and is voided if non-CAR members are allowed to fly (even if they are TRA or NAR members).

3 - CAR will recognize TRA and/or NAR certs, and grandfather to your CAR membership. However, you still have to pass the TC exam. If you are TRA or NAR L1... you will have to write & pass the CAR exam as well.

For the record, I've always questioned why CAR has 4 cert levels when our close neighbours have only 3. Over the years there has been some talk of "aligning" with everyone else, but obviously it hasn't happened yet.

Did we ever get a final say on this? A black & white / finite decision ether way?

Kevin & I had a bit of a debate the other night on this. (again!)

Is the "Transport Canada" requirement - the test portion - a Canadian / Government requirement and would apply to all sanctioned launches (CAR, NAR, TRA, etc..)? Or does this only apply to CAR events?

The impressions / arguments are that:

This transport reg (need to take the test) applies to all flyers level 1 or higher flying in Canada. "If you wanna fly an H in Canada, you need to pass this pat of the test, regardless of who you are, where you're from, who you are signed with (NAR CAR TRA) or what your current cert level is.." So, technically, any US person TAR or NAR level 3 coming into Canada expecting to fly an M, should be taking the test, otherwise their level 3 is null & void.. Or in other words, and in our case, since we are NAR certified in the US for Level 1, we cannot fly any level 1 class rocket in Canada because we haven`t passed this Trans Canada test, regardless of which club we've been invited to, to fly. (And with that, there have been a few cases of visitors flying "illegally" due to their not taking the test while flying in Canada.)

vs.

This transport reg (need to take the test) applies to all level 1 or higher only at CAR sanctioned events (If you fly at a Non CAR event, you do not need to take this transport Canada test. If I fly at a Canadian NAR or TRA field, I do not need to take the Trans Canada test, and I can fly level 1 or 2 or 3. This test is only for CAR members at CAR fields / events) Or in other words, and in our case, since we are NAR certified in the US for Level 1, we cannot fly any level 1 class rocket in at a CAR field in Canada because we haven`t passed this Trans Canada test, because the club we've been invited to, to fly, is [specifically] CAR sanctioned..

This all came up because we intend to visit a Canadian club, which is not CAR affiliated. He is under the impression, that we can bring H & I motors (we are NAR lvl 1 - in the US) and launch til the cows come home. But I say no, because we haven't taken the Transport Canada test, and therefore we aren't recognized as level 1 in Canada.. (even though the club may let us fly, not knowing we haven't taken the test, or assume we have, or really just don't care!!)

Did we ever get a final say on this? A black & white / finite decision ether way?

Kevin & I had a bit of a debate the other night on this. (again!)

Is the "Transport Canada" requirement - the test portion - a Canadian / Government requirement and would apply to all sanctioned launches (CAR, NAR, TRA, etc..)? Or does this only apply to CAR events?

The impressions / arguments are that:

This transport reg (need to take the test) applies to all flyers level 1 or higher flying in Canada. "If you wanna fly an H in Canada, you need to pass this pat of the test, regardless of who you are, where you're from, who you are signed with (NAR CAR TRA) or what your current cert level is.." So, technically, any US person TAR or NAR level 3 coming into Canada expecting to fly an M, should be taking the test, otherwise their level 3 is null & void.. Or in other words, and in our case, since we are NAR certified in the US for Level 1, we cannot fly any level 1 class rocket in Canada because we haven`t passed this Trans Canada test, regardless of which club we've been invited to, to fly. (And with that, there have been a few cases of visitors flying "illegally" due to their not taking the test while flying in Canada.)

vs.

This transport reg (need to take the test) applies to all level 1 or higher only at CAR sanctioned events (If you fly at a Non CAR event, you do not need to take this transport Canada test. If I fly at a Canadian NAR or TRA field, I do not need to take the Trans Canada test, and I can fly level 1 or 2 or 3. This test is only for CAR members at CAR fields / events) Or in other words, and in our case, since we are NAR certified in the US for Level 1, we cannot fly any level 1 class rocket in at a CAR field in Canada because we haven`t passed this Trans Canada test, because the club we've been invited to, to fly, is [specifically] CAR sanctioned..

This all came up because we intend to visit a Canadian club, which is not CAR affiliated. He is under the impression, that we can bring H & I motors (we are NAR lvl 1 - in the US) and launch til the cows come home. But I say no, because we haven't taken the Transport Canada test, and therefore we aren't recognized as level 1 in Canada.. (even though the club may let us fly, not knowing we haven't taken the test, or assume we have, or really just don't care!!)

Interesting - but here is what I've been told. Possession of HP motors is perfectly legal without (specifically) Canadian certification here and can be brought up from the US as long as it on the "approved / authorized explosives list" by NRcan and provided you have the correct paperwork filed at the boarder. The transport Canada Test is not written as a requirement under law, but filling out a waver form and having it approved by transport Canada is CRITICAL for any and all HP launches and yes there are some examples where transport Canada has approved non CAR high power launches provided that all documentation has been provided.
The "test" is a part of the CAR guidelines and follows in a similar direction to TRA and NAR. I know of 2'cases of dual citizen - US flyers coming to Canada with I class motors on a NAR L1 and flying in the Prairies on private lands - because of the Educational merit and low risk of these launches approval was granted.

Here is a link for the approval process below:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-standards/26-0660.pdf

Back