• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Info on Centuri Hornet (5341) Fins and decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm re-reviewing my .ork files to add in decals, and I noticed something that makes me call some previous research into question.

I know that Estes has re-released the Hornet, and I can't remember if I based my .ork file on it, or on other info that I can't find now about the original Centuri kit.

Centuri questions... Can someone measure the length and width of the black band on the decal sheet. With that I can determine the other dimensions.

JimZ has the fins at 2.25" at the root edge, can someone confirm this measurement with an original? Fin thickness and span would also be appreciated

I don't have an Estes version to compare with now, but I did when I was creating the original .ork file.

Can someone measure the Estes version's root edge, and fin thickness and span for me.

A scan of the Estes decal sheet would also be very useful.

Thanks
Jim

Bump...

A few things to point out... The black band that was seen in the 1981 and 1983 Centuri catalog wasn't apparently supplied (based on the decals posted on both JimZ's and plans.rocketshoppe.com's websites), nor do the instructions mention it. The Centuri kit's motor mount did protrude out the back of the rocket by 1/4", unlike the Estes reissue.

Last edited:
I believe I have a current Estes kit in my build pile. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the two manufacturers.

I believe I have a current Estes kit in my build pile. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the two manufacturers.

Oh, trust me, there's differences.

The Centuri used the Estes PNC-55AC nosecone (look at the CC Express, and the Cherokee D). It was D (24mm) powered and used a streamer for recovery. It also came with adapters to fly with smaller 18mm motors (as I found in the 1981 catalog, and verified against the instructions).

The Estes kit (besides the decals) is B-C (18mm) powered, uses a parachute, and was supposed to ship with a balsa nosecone (mine back home came with a PNC-55AO nosecone (Photon Probe, Photon Disruptor)).

Last edited:
Well are the fins supposed to be the same?

JimZ's site has the fins as 2.25" at the root edge, but my .ork has them at 2.1875", mine *might* be measured off of the Estes kit. I know, we're talking about a 1/16" difference, but I try to make my .ork files as completely accurate as possible.

Latest posts

Back