"Bells On" - 98mm MD (40K NXRS Project)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlnessW

Reaction score
I could use some more crossovers between rocketry and my other hobby (info here), hence the "Bells On" name. As with most all of my builds these days, this will be a substantial deviation from the hobby/sport flying most commonly found on this forum - i.e., buying a rocket kit + matching CTI case from Wildman Black Saturday, building it over the winter (if not after letting it sit in "the build pile" for a couple of years), dressing it up in decals from Stickershock, then flying it on a Vmax motor at LDRS. That whole mantra is not what drives me to participate in rocketry, hence, a project simply in-tune with my own style. Follow along if you so desire.

Background
I have this really nice Mike Fisher 98/17500 (48" long) EX case which has flown twice in a 5" rocket now, but it's really begging for a minimum diameter project. Our club's big research launch of the year is known as NXRS, located in Brothers, OR, which some of you know know about. Our max ceiling there is 42,460' AGL, so it only seems fitting to try and get near the top of the waiver for this year's event. My last MD project, "Millennium Falcon," was a huge success and set my personal altitude record to 33,828' AGL. It also served as proof-of-concept for a few designs and techniques used for future builds such as this one, most notably fin attachment methods. This project will of course be another shot at a personal altitude record...if everything works.

Design
In a nutshell, here is what we're working with:

• 4" x 60" fiberglass airframe.
  • 4" 5:1 Von Karman nosecone.
  • 4 x 1/8" G10 fins.
  • And that's about it.
Motor will be a fairly-aggressive, mildly-high solids N - have a few possible designs/formulations in the works already.

Construction
Fins will be bonded exactly the same as they were for Millennium Falcon, but with layups this time. Carbon fiber cloth and Aeropoxy will be used for this purpose. For recovery, dual deployment will be used in the exact same fashion as MF as well - nosecone coupler av-bay with switch band, drogue inside the airframe, main inside the nosecone. (Yes Fred...)

Avionics:

• Featherweight Raven3 - my favorite altimeter.
  • PerfectFlite StratoLoggerCF - foolproof backup altimeter, and practically disposable anyways.
  • 70cm 100mW Beeline GPS - tracking.
  • 900 MHz Beeline GPS - HOPEFULLY backup tracking...still TBD.
Photos will be added soon as well as a build page on my website - hopefully by tonight. I also have a 3" downscale of this project in the works which I may or may not do a separate thread on.

Stay tuned for more and thanks for stopping by.

YEESSS.

P.S. I might be back in time for NXRS after all. You should totally target a Sunday launch =P

Last edited:
Minimum D's seem to be the way my mind is gravitating these days...
I'm quite interested in how you work things out for this like the carbon or glass lay ups-- T to T....

Very cool for sure,,,
All the best of luck...

Teddy

That should be fun to watch! We are planning to be there Saturday, with any luck maybe we can see her fly.

Minimum D's seem to be the way my mind is gravitating these days...
I'm quite interested in how you work things out for this like the carbon or glass lay ups-- T to T....

Very cool for sure,,,
All the best of luck...

Teddy
Mine too...my interest in hobby-grade flying has dropped sharply this past year or so, as I mentioned in my OP. But it's still fun to fly a 4"/75mm or 5"/98mm project once in a while. :) And yes, tip-to-tip with carbon fiber. I have a good plan figured out for that, as well. Thanks Teddy!

That should be fun to watch! We are planning to be there Saturday, with any luck maybe we can see her fly.
Thanks Dan - look forward to seeing you out there. Too early to have an exact date in mind yet, but we'll see what happens over the coming months.

IMG_4444.jpg
After the seemingly-usual runaround of waiting 5 months to get Performance Rocketry/ProLine Composite parts, here we have the layout for this project, sans fin material. Airframe, nosecone, nosecone coupler, and a pair of CNC-stepped av-bay bulkheads.

IMG_4445.jpg
And just for fun, here's the full "stack" + motor case. Looks good!

I should have a more interesting update this weekend...

Mine too...my interest in hobby-grade flying has dropped sharply this past year or so, as I mentioned in my OP.

This is still definitely a hobby grade rocket. It's a high performance project, but it's still a toy rocket that you're building for fun.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to following the thread and seeing the results.

This is still definitely a hobby grade rocket. It's a high performance project, but it's still a toy rocket that you're building for fun.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to following the thread and seeing the results.
Sure...anything you say...

Wow very cool project!
Thank you!

Dang, Wilson. Another one?

<Heads to garage. Must have something to show at NXRS.>
Yes, of course! Like I said in my OP - following the Mongoose, onwards and upwards.

I know I said I'd have a more interesting update by now, but this week has not proven to be kind... Next week however is spring break so I'll have tons of time to sink into this thing.

Making mildly good progress here, though didn't get as much rocket work done this past week as I would have liked. First, a few general updates.

Build page for this project: https://wilsonalness.com/rocketry/projects/BellsOn.html
And a build page for my 3" version, "Power Line Seeker III," since I'm not going to bother doing a separate thread on that one. I'll probably add a few photos here, but the full build will be documented only on my website: https://wilsonalness.com/rocketry/projects/PLSIII.html

Mixed an M motor (7600) this past week for Power Line Seeker III as a proof-of-concept design of sorts for my 98/17500. How fitting, since neither project is anywhere near completion. We'll see how the grains came out this evening.

Both these projects marked my first experience at cutting my own G10 fins. Now, I wouldn't do it any other way!

IMG_0683.JPG
We start with a 12" x 24" sheet of "Garolite" G10 from McMaster. Sigh...if only they sold G12 tubes, nosecones, 200u AP, and liner/casting sets as well! Fins are traced on using the OpenRocket templates.

IMG_1007.jpg
Next, we cut them out with a carbide blade on the table saw.

IMG_0965.jpg
...Like so.

IMG_1021.jpg
Next, we move over to my nice new Harbor Freight 6" x 36" belt/disk sander. ($60 on sale!) A very wise purchase so far...

IMG_1018.jpg
Using the aforementioned sander, we clamp each set of fins together (not shown here) to match the edges.

IMG_1027.jpg
After that, we move on to bevels. This took a little more finesse to work the way I wanted it to, but overall I'm happy with my solution. We swap out the carbide blade for a masonry cutting wheel, and tape a wood strip (clamps would have gotten in the way) to the fence, forming an angle jig. Not a very clear picture, but you get the idea...

IMG_1030.jpg
A quick pass through the saw does the trick, needing only minor adjustments. Then, back to the sander to remove any little imperfections. All in all, these came out even better than I had imagined! Once again, I'm cutting my own fins this way for every project now...

IMG_1033.jpg
Looks good!

IMG_1041.jpg
After surface prepping the airframe and fin tabs (sanding with 80-grit, followed by 120-grit), time to start gluing. I was going to try using an OpenRocket tube marking guide for determining locations for the fins, but it was way out of alignment for some reason. So I tossed that in the recycle bin and went back to the old tried-and-true method of a band of blue tape marked evenly around the circumference. Of course, that worked great! Extending the lines using an angle iron, we glue the first fin on - here she is next to Power Line Seeker III. With the runny-ness and slow cure time of Loctite E-120HP we can only do 1 fin at a time, but at least I have 2 rockets I can do simultaneously.

I also need a better alignment jig than a piece of duct tape (worked somewhat well) - have something in mind already for the other 3 fins.

I could use some more crossovers between rocketry and my other hobby (info here), hence the "Bells On" name. As with most all of my builds these days, this will be a substantial deviation from the hobby/sport flying most commonly found on this forum - i.e., buying a rocket kit + matching CTI case from Wildman Black Saturday, building it over the winter (if not after letting it sit in "the build pile" for a couple of years), dressing it up in decals from Stickershock, then flying it on a Vmax motor at LDRS. That whole mantra is not what drives me to participate in rocketry, hence, a project simply in-tune with my own style. Follow along if you so desire.

You want to fly minimum diameter hot rods, that's fantastic, I look forward to seeing more of the build and flight!

"substantial deviation from the hobby/sport flying most commonly found on this forum" comes off a bit prickly, hence the Summer's Eve box above. ;)

As with most all of my builds these days, this will be a substantial deviation from the hobby/sport flying most commonly found on this forum - i.e., buying a rocket kit + matching CTI case from Wildman Black Saturday, building it over the winter (if not after letting it sit in "the build pile" for a couple of years), dressing it up in decals from Stickershock, then flying it on a Vmax motor at LDRS. That whole mantra is not what drives me to participate in rocketry, hence, a project simply in-tune with my own style. Follow along if you so desire.

I will never understand the need to belittle the efforts of others in order to feel better about yourself. *shrug* Your statement says a lot more about you than those you criticize.

Wow - very cool!

No, I am not. He's mocking the builds of others. I'm simply pointing that out. I made no comments on his build, simply his attitude.
...moving on.

All 4 fins are now tacked on with Loctite. I didn't get a photo of fin #2, but you can visualize that...

IMG_4450.jpg
Fin #3.

IMG_4452.jpg
And #4.

Again, this was a multi-day process allowing glue to cure with each fin, but the end result was well worth it. Next up will be fillets, and I hope to get some work done on the av-bay this weekend as well.

How come this thread got edited?
I'm missing the Summers' Eve box?

Where did it go and more importantly, why?

Background
I have this really nice Mike Fisher 98/17500 (48" long) EX case which has flown twice in a 5" rocket now, but it's really begging for a minimum diameter project. Our club's big research launch of the year is known as NXRS, located in Brothers, OR, which some of you know know about. Our max ceiling there is 42,460' AGL, so it only seems fitting to try and get near the top of the waiver for this year's event. My last MD project, "Millennium Falcon," was a huge success and set my personal altitude record to 33,828' AGL. It also served as proof-of-concept for a few designs and techniques used for future builds such as this one, most notably fin attachment methods. This project will of course be another shot at a personal altitude record...if everything works.

Design
In a nutshell, here is what we're working with:

• 4" x 60" fiberglass airframe.
  • 4" 5:1 Von Karman nosecone.
  • 4 x 1/8" G10 fins.
  • And that's about it.
Motor will be a fairly-aggressive, mildly-high solids N - have a few possible designs/formulations in the works already.

Construction
Fins will be bonded exactly the same as they were for Millennium Falcon, but with layups this time. Carbon fiber cloth and Aeropoxy will be used for this purpose. For recovery, dual deployment will be used in the exact same fashion as MF as well - nosecone coupler av-bay with switch band, drogue inside the airframe, main inside the nosecone. (Yes Fred...)

Avionics:

• Featherweight Raven3 - my favorite altimeter.
  • PerfectFlite StratoLoggerCF - foolproof backup altimeter, and practically disposable anyways.
  • 70cm 100mW Beeline GPS - tracking.
  • 900 MHz Beeline GPS - HOPEFULLY backup tracking...still TBD.
Photos will be added soon as well as a build page on my website - hopefully by tonight. I also have a 3" downscale of this project in the works which I may or may not do a separate thread on.

Stay tuned for more and thanks for stopping by.

How fast will the rocket go?

How come this thread got edited?
I'm missing the Summers' Eve box?

Where did it go and more importantly, why?

A moderator deleted it. He felt it was "unacceptable" and "childish" for someone to point out how rude AlnessW was being in the opening of this thread by belittling other people's builds.

Last edited:
OK folks, this will be last attempt at getting this thread back on topic. Not worth my effort if all people care about is an unrelated photo some random guy posted.

How fast will the rocket go?
OpenRocket is predicting about Mach 2.5.

IMG_1070.jpg
Reuniting airframe and nosecone, we have a goosebumps moment.

IMG_1072.jpg
I got some work done on the av-bay yesterday as well - here we have all the individual components ready to go. This photo came out way too dark, but you get the idea...

IMG_1073.jpg
Completed internals.

IMG_1074.jpg
And an assembled av-bay!

Wilson,

Thanks for taking the time to post this build thread and stick with it. Every time I've thought about posting a build thread, the time and effort involved has scared me away. "What if posting a build thread slows down the actual build?" has run through my head more than once. I'm glad you've brushed off the gratuitous potshots. Thank you.

I'm watching, and it looks terrific, your "goosebumps" moment particularly. Good luck.

OK folks, this will be last attempt at getting this thread back on topic. Not worth my effort if all people care about is an unrelated photo some random guy posted.

I don't think the photo is what anyone cares about so much as your attitude and refusal to address how condescending it is.

I believe everyone's journey in rocketry has merit. Yours included. To discount anyone else's path, is low brow.

If you're going to open a thread with that statement, you should be prepared to be challenged on it.

Last edited:
I don't think the photo is what anyone cares about so much as your attitude and refusal to address how condescending it is.

I believe everyone's journey in rocketry has merit. Yours included. To discount anyone else's path, is low brow.

If you're going to open a thread with that statement, you should be prepared to be challenged on it.

I'm with you, Dave. I thought some of Wilson's wording was off-putting. But why challenge him? Does it really matter? You've said in the past that you don't know why you always end up in these situations. This is why - you don't let these things go. You're a good guy and you contribute a lot to this fourm and the rocketry community. Let it go, brother. You don't need to challenge these things. It isn't worth anyone's effort.

Looking forward to the continued build, Wilson. Looking great so far.

Back