Shipping charges - your thoughts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my kits I've rolled the price of the large boxes I use into the price as well as the packing time and shipping. Since I know my weight ahead of time I've figured out the average priority mail cost. I used to try to offer combined shipping if I could get more than one kit in a box but I had a case where I had some shipping damage so I now stick to one per box. In a few cases actual shipping is a dollar more, sometimes a dollar less and it averages out and makes pricing/billing simple.

Frank

For my kits I've rolled the price of the large boxes I use into the price as well as the packing time and shipping. Since I know my weight ahead of time I've figured out the average priority mail cost. I used to try to offer combined shipping if I could get more than one kit in a box but I had a case where I had some shipping damage so I now stick to one per box. In a few cases actual shipping is a dollar more, sometimes a dollar less and it averages out and makes pricing/billing simple.

Frank

I wish that worked for motors. Shipping for me is anywhere from $2 for first class items to $65 for hazmat.

Because the rocketry vendors are typically more of a niche retailer, I'd rather see the handling charges built into the prices a bit rather than have to pay $10 to ship a $3 item. I know in the end it is largely semantics, but I think it would be more of a win-win because it would allow the vendors to spread out their handling charges.

I really do try to avoid placing such small orders, but it seems like almost every time I order building materials, one vendor will have everything I need save one or two items, sometimes they're insignificant, others it is a rather glaring omission (IMHO) compared to everything else they're selling. That's why it is a bit frustrating to have such high shipping on small orders.

At time when I am shipping items I am a big fan of Priority Mail, in particular flat rate boxes.
If you are shipping a volume of packages the cost of the box/packing is included in the cost.
Also you have arrange for the Post Office to pick up from your home or business.

In general, I like to see shipping costs as they really are and any 'handling' included in the
cost of the item, I see it as part of your overhead running a business.

I ran a welding a fab shop for a number of years. Shipping large metal weldments is a
significant cost. Most but not all of my customers picked up and delivered their own
goods. Other paid the freight. TANSTAFL! Also a good think to keep in mind when voting.

Because the rocketry vendors are typically more of a niche retailer, I'd rather see the handling charges built into the prices a bit rather than have to pay $10 to ship a $3 item.

Okay, so instead, suppose the vendor charges $5 for the item and $3 to ship it. You save $7 when you order just that item. But, what if you want 10 of the item? Now, instead of paying $30 plus $10 shipping and handling, you are paying $50 plus shipping.

-- Roger

I have never had a concern with paying reasonable shipping AND handling charges (packing material isn't cheap). But I do have one peeve...

I understand why storefront software cannot accurately determine actual shipping and the need to overestimate it before billing. But when I am way overcharged, I expect the vendor will identify it and correct it without my having to contact them after receiving the item and seeing that they were charged $7.00 when they charged me $35. It makes me feel cheated.

The example happened to me last week, so it is fresh in my mind. It will likely cause me to carefully consider future business with them. I understand that I can place my order over the phone with most vendors and get a more realistic shipping estimate, but I do not feel I should have to do that. Several vendors have made corrections for me without having to ask. I can think of two that definitely will not.

I hope vendors will take that into consideration. They know when their system grossly overcharges. Just make it right for your customers!

Cheers,
Michael

Okay, so instead, suppose the vendor charges $5 for the item and $3 to ship it. You save $7 when you order just that item. But, what if you want 10 of the item? Now, instead of paying $30 plus $10 shipping and handling, you are paying $50 plus shipping.

-- Roger

So there would be a 60% increase in price?

Generally, that's why places offer quantity discounts. If you can fit 50 of them in the same size package as you can one, then I'd think it would be logical to sell such items on a sliding scale.

I'm just pointing this out because I want to support rocketry vendors, but I really have a hard time paying 2-3 times the price of the item just for shipping when I'm in the middle of a project and find I need a part or two that is either rocketry specific, or can't otherwise be sourced locally.

FWIW, I've bought from you a couple of times and was very pleased with the service, I'm really just trying to provide some feedback to our vendors that may help them capture a little more business!

This is why I refund excess shipping. I know the site generally overcharges, but it is set to do so to make sure I don't have to hold the order up pending payment. I had to stop shipping without collecting up front because I had 2 people fail to ever pay the amount due, one was $5.25, and the Other was $35 in hazmat....but they had their orders in less than 3 days.

So there would be a 60% increase in price?

I was illustrating what would happen if the handling charge were added into the price of the products as someone suggested. That may work for higher-priced items, but it's not practical for lower-cost ones.

I'm just pointing this out because I want to support rocketry vendors, but I really have a hard time paying 2-3 times the price of the item just for shipping when I'm in the middle of a project and find I need a part or two that is either rocketry specific, or can't otherwise be sourced locally.

The problem is that it costs about the same to process a small order as it does a large order. And there's not enough margin on a small order to cover the expenses. If we offered free or low-cost shipping on small orders, we'd work just as hard filling the small orders and lose money each time we shipped a small order.

FWIW, I've bought from you a couple of times and was very pleased with the service.

Thanks! We appreciate it as well as the feedback.

I'm really just trying to provide some feedback to our vendors that may help them capture a little more business!

More business is good, but in order to stay in business, we need make at least a modest profit. If there were any way to allow customers to place small orders without paying a handling charge - and still allow us to provide a good level of service while making a profit, we'd do it. But, it's just not possible. It's like the old joke about losing money on each sale, but "making it up in volume."

-- Roger

I buy extra products needed down the road to make order worth while , for instance last weekend I needed to order epoxy mixing cups , order ran just under $60.00 shipped lol

Here's a case where I opted not to buy something due to shipping costs. Yesterday I realized I needed two E-motor-sized engine hooks. I went to a vendor's web store and put them in my shopping cart -- $1.98. Went to checkout. Shipping was calculated at $6.95. I deleted the cart, and today I went to a brick-and-mortar hobby store. Got the Estes motor hook assortment. $5.82 after tax.

Here's a case where I opted not to buy something due to shipping costs. Yesterday I realized I needed two E-motor-sized engine hooks. I went to a vendor's web store and put them in my shopping cart -- $1.98. Went to checkout. Shipping was calculated at $6.95. I deleted the cart, and today I went to a brick-and-mortar hobby store. Got the Estes motor hook assortment. $5.82 after tax.

Throw in the cost of your time and the mileage to the brick and mortar store. The internet purchase is probably still lower cost.

I would have added a few more things into that shopping cart (things to use later or for future builds) to offset the shipping even more.

Throw in the cost of your time and the mileage to the brick and mortar store. The internet purchase is probably still lower cost.

I would have added a few more things into that shopping cart (things to use later or for future builds) to offset the shipping even more.

I'm not that good of a planner. My time is free, and it wasn't a long drive. I think I came out better.

Thanks Wilson, I really do try to charge only what it costs me. But I must admit that it helps immensely that there is an actual UPS customer service center about three miles from where I live. That makes it easy for me to get an exact cost to give the customer. I also ALWAYS include insurance costs. I haven't yet had a Wilson F/X system damaged in shipping that I know of, but I use a very heavy duty double walled cardboard box. These are custom built to fit the hinged-lid storage containers that I ship club launch systems in. The insurance is a just in case thing. I don't want a club to eat the costs for a shipping damaged product. And I don't want to have to eat the cost either. So I always insure.

Last edited:
I got pissed once at a local firm...we had an issue with fungus gnats in our house plants. Smaller than a fruit fly, and harmless, but damned annoying. Searched online for treatment, and found beneficial nematodes, microscopic worms that eat the fly eggs/larvae in the soil, stopping the progression. The site said next day air was required, because they're living creatures. Makes sense. Product was like $18, shipping was close to $30, but damn, I hated these bugs. Pulled the trigger, next afternoon package arrives, warm. Cold pack inside is warm too. I call the 800 number to see if they think the critters survived, and they say, "Oh yeah- we tested these in a car here when it was 115 degrees outside, and they were fine". I said, "Where are you? That sounds like my weather!" and they say, "We're in Tucson, AZ, technically Oro Valley". I about lost it...I'm in Oro Valley. The "store" is just barely 4 miles from me. Why they couldn't/didn't look at the address and realize this is beyond me, but it would've been nice if they had.
Unfortunately for me, they're the only gig in town that sells those, and they work amazingly well, so I've been a repeat customer (would've liked to cut them off), but now I drive the 5 minutes to and from when I need them.

Back