Rail and Rail Button Comparison

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Amazon ad says it's a 5 mm extrusion. That should be roughly equivalent to a 1/4" rod in stiffness.

Here's some useful information. https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2015/nanobeam2/ The slot width is likely ~ 1.5 mm or ~0.059"

The fastener screws are tiny: M1.2x2. https://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70_216_218 And pricy.

You will probably need to use screws instead of rail buttons unless you have rail buttons that glue on to the airframe. But using a tap that small is not easy.

A better alternate might be a plastic or metal rail guide that use double-sided tape or glue on.

It also appears the standard length is 300 mm (12") which is short for a launch rail.

My personal opinion is that it's probably too small for hobby rocket use.

Bob

The Amazon ad says it's a 5 mm extrusion. That should be roughly equivalent to a 1/4" rod in stiffness.

Here's some useful information. https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2015/nanobeam2/ The slot width is likely ~ 1.5 mm or ~0.059"

The fastener screws are tiny: M1.2x2. https://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70_216_218 And pricy.

You will probably need to use screws instead of rail buttons unless you have rail buttons that glue on to the airframe. But using a tap that small is not easy.

A better alternate might be a plastic or metal rail guide that use double-sided tape or glue on.

It also appears the standard length is 300 mm (12") which is short for a launch rail.

Bob

Plastruct/Evergreen Plastics H or I beams could be used as a rail guide, I am working with something similar for LPR rockets on 10mm Makerbeam.

Bob

Bob you have to understand he's talking about using it for MicroMaxx rockets. These are 12" long. MicroMaxx only goes to 18" before deployment lol.

Bob

It's definitely only good for Micromaxx sized rockets.:wink:

As we shall all see in due time.

Plastruct/Evergreen Plastics H or I beams could be used as a rail guide, I am working with something similar for LPR rockets on 10mm Makerbeam.
Yes. It might work. Looks like the 2 mm H-column would be a good match to the channel. Since it's styrene it is easily bent with heat so it will conform with the curvature of the body tube. I don't think the 1.5 mm is wide enough to stay in the channel, and the 2.5 mm may be too wide and/or have too much drag.

https://www.oakridgehobbies.com/hob...ain-scratch-building-supplies-all-scales.html

Bob

I have used plastic "H" Beam for lugs on rails. Including my Space Shuttle model. For it, I used 1/4" "H" beam from Evergreen.

However 1/4" "H" can slip out of the 1 x 1 rails, I was using my own homemade rail that has about a 1/8" wide slot. For 1 x 1 rail, it requires more like 3/8" "H" (Maybe 5/16").

In any case, I really like plastic "H" beam for rail lugs for many years, as it allows the model to be able to "rock" a bit in the yaw axis, and a loose slide fit (feature, not a bug). So if it is windy the lug does not bind like the rail buttons can.

- George Gassaway

dcp00428.jpg

Last edited:
That's the stuff Bob, the .188 (4.8mm) H column is a nice fit for the 10mm Makerbeam so far, it slides easy in testing but I have no idea how well it will wear.
It should wear ok as long as it does not bind or slip out of the slot. The slot width is clearance for a M3 screw 3 mm + a smidge.

makerbeam-1-piece-of-1500mm-clear-anodised-makerbe.jpg

I have used plastic "H" Beam for lugs on rails. Including my Space Shuttle model. For it, I used 1/4" "H" beam from Evergreen.

However 1/4" "H" can slip out of the 1 x 1 rails, I was using my own homemade rail that has about a 1/8" wide slot. For 1 x 1 rail, it requires more like 3/8" "H" (Maybe 5/16").

In any case, I really like plastic "H" beam for rail lugs for many years, as it allows the model to be able to "rock" a bit in the yaw axis, and a loose slide fit (feature, not a bug). So if it is windy the lug does not bind like the rail buttons can.

- George Gassaway

dcp00428.jpg

The nominal slot width for rails 1.0" wide or less appears to be ~25%-30% of the width. 1010 rails are 1.000" wide and have a slot width 0f 0.255" with is 25% of the beam width + 2%. The 5 mm nanorail uses M1.2x2 screws so the slot width is likely 1.25 mm. 10 mm maker rail has a 30% wide slot.

20 mm rail has a 5.26 mm slot for M5 screws, 25 mm rail uses a M6 screw which I assume has a 6.26 mm slot which is 0.247" and just narrow enough that a 1/4=20 screw won't fit.

Bob

For the Nanobeam MMX, I will likely use a tack/nail. the really tiny ones like you would use to assemble a jewelry box or whatever.
Since there will be no recovery gear to contend with, they can go "Through Both Walls", affixed with a drip of CA, then sanded smooth on the exit side, but leaving just enough protruding on the exit side to embed in the glass cloth when it is applied.:wink:
The model I envision will be an AIM-120 AMRAAM, and being long enough, the lower tack/nail guide will also serve as the motor stop.

This will be fun!

I have 10 nanobeams now. I knew they were 5mm x 5mm but man this is small.

Nanobeams for micromaxx? Where will you possibly find rail buttons for them?

Here is Evergreen 286 in my MakerBeam. By the way, Amazon has restocked the MakerBeam rails and accessories.

image.jpg

Got my Makerbeam rails today. I'm figuring A, B, & C engines for micro. And D, E, F, & G for mini. Lastly H+ will use 1010 buttons so long as the weight is appropriate.

I may explore the Nanobeam for T engines and below depending on BT size.

Thoughts?

Ok,

I bought some nanobeam rails. They work with some of the of the H and I beams I bought. I will post pictures this week.

Got my Makerbeam rails today. I'm figuring A, B, & C engines for micro. And D, E, F, & G for mini. Lastly H+ will use 1010 buttons so long as the weight is appropriate.

I may explore the Nanobeam for T engines and below depending on BT size.

Thoughts?

I think that the Nanobeam, being only a foot long, would be too short for Estes Mini-motors.

I think I'll go screw some microbuttons into my 13mm Fiberglassed AIM-120 AMRAAM now, as I can launch that right in my front yard on 1/2 A motors, and I have not even tried 13mm on makerbeam yet.
I can fly it tomorrow.

Bob,

It is a lot more stiff than 1/4" rod. Well, it is stiffer than 1/4" aluminum rod. :wink:

I think that the Nanobeam, being only a foot long, would be too short for Estes Mini-motors.

Correct. I bought a couple joining plates to make it 30-36". I like the fact that it will fit in a 5/16" standard launch pad mount.

My 13mm AIM-120 AMRAAM is ready to fly from makerbeam today.

Just waiting for the camera battery to charge so I can get a video.

Rail Launch 13mm AIM-120 2002-12-31 001.jpg

Pad Preperation. 2002-12-31 004.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive. Superhero like even. Definitely makes me jealous.

Can't get past NSL fast enough for the MMX. And it's way too close for my L2 kit lol. I can't win.

Ok,

I tested my "nanorail" with an Estes rocket on a C motor. The Styrene H-beam did not fit perfect, but with a little sanding it worked. I will post pics this weekend.

I did not see any whip to the rod....ERR rail.

Ok,

I tested my "nanorail" with an Estes rocket on a C motor. The Styrene H-beam did not fit perfect, but with a little sanding it worked. I will post pics this weekend.

I did not see any whip to the rod....ERR rail.

Keep me updated, Chuck. I just purchased my first micro kits and I would really like to forego lugs altogether on all of my future builds. It would be really nice to have this option at our launches.

Cheers,
Michael

Well, so much for getting video. The video was able to playback the first time, then I get a message about how windows does not support the file or some such. Probably because the camera is from like 2000.
The motor was a 1/2A-3T, so it went up like 75 feet, then as it came down it deployed at about 50 and bounced off three branches of a tree thanks to the wind, but made it to the ground.
Anyhow, here's a look at the small machine screws I used.

Rail Launched 13mm AMRAAM Vid 2002-12-31 004.jpg

I managed to open the video somehow, so I was able to upload it to Youtube, but I looked up the camera, an Olympus C-5000 Zoom, and it is from 2003, so that's why the video is so crappy. It does not even have a microphone for audio.:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RF6hk0NgDo&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
I have not tried screws. I have some coming to try.

I like them better than microbuttons because they don't bind at all. Some will say they will wear down the rail, but that would likely take more launches than I'll ever do, plus, rails have four sides, so if one side starts to develop a problematic wear pattern, I'll just use a different side.
there are also things that could go around the threads to protect the rail, but it slides SO freely that I really don't think it is necessary.

I got a whole bunch at the hardware store, and the ones pictured work best. I don't have the specs on them, but will probably grab some more next time I go by there, so I'll write it down.

If they were not an afterthought for this particular rocket, I'de have made them look nicer. I just wanted to be able to say I've flown 13mm from a rail.

Last edited:
Back