Rail and Rail Button Comparison

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my Makerbeam rails today. I'm figuring A, B, & C engines for micro. And D, E, F, & G for mini. Lastly H+ will use 1010 buttons so long as the weight is appropriate.

I may explore the Nanobeam for T engines and below depending on BT size.

Thoughts?

In testing last summer I've flown up to D12's from my 10mm Makerbeam rails with Micro buttons from Railbuttons.com.
I don't know what TopRamen is squaking about I really Like flying micros from the Makerbeam Rails. I have a couple different lengths for different set-ups and model sizes.
It is really great to get 1/8A to D12 dead stright flights on breezy days 10-18mph from these little 10mm rails. I'll have to look into the 5mm nanobeams but could be just as doable as the 10mm makerbeams for Micro's, All my Micros have and NEED a recovery device, flying 80 to 300ft Chute or streams sure makes getting them back a lot easier.

Last edited:
In testing last summer I've flown up to D12's from my 10mm Makerbeam rails with Micro buttons from Railbuttons.com.
I don't know what TopRamen is squaking about I really Like flying micros from the Makerbear Rails. I have a couple different lengths for different set-ups and model sizes.
It is really great to get 1/8A to D12 dead stright flights on breezy days 10-18mph from these little 10mm rails. I'll have to look into the 5mm nanobeams but could be just as doable as the 10mm makerbeams for Micro's, All my Micros have and NEED a recovery device, flying 80 to 300ft Chute or streams sure makes getting them back a lot easier.

Well, then I humbly apologize for assuming that you would shun the use of a rail for such small rockets.

I'm glad to hear that you do indeed fly them from rails, as I like rails.

Last edited:
Bob,

It is a lot more stiff than 1/4" rod. Well, it is stiffer than 1/4" aluminum rod. :wink:
I meant a conventional steel or stainless rod which is quite stiff in 3' lengths.

And it's going be much stiffer than a micromax rod.....

Bob

It also appears the standard length is 300 mm (12") which is short for a launch rail.

My personal opinion is that it's probably too small for hobby rocket use.

Bob

I just checked my Quest micro launchpad and the usable rod is 10.5" long. A 12" rail would be a ton of fun for these little guys!

Got my micro rails a couple of days ago. Got my mini rail and 1010 rail today. I am set for launch rails. Now I need to mount them. Any suggestions?

Got my micro rails a couple of days ago. Got my mini rail and 1010 rail today. I am set for launch rails. Now I need to mount them. Any suggestions?

Heres what I did with Narhams 1010, 20mm and MakerBeam rails, have not yet recieved my Nanobeam 5mm rails but will likely have something similar to the Makerbeam mounting just smaller. These end studs allow the rails to be mounted in any launcher that takes a 1/8, 3/16" or 1/4" Launch rods or can be clamped into the sockets provided on most MPR/HPR Heavy launcher bases.

One word of Warning about using these Rails: Be very sure to secure your launcher base to the ground or Weight the legs. Each of these rails create more wind resistance even in fairly light breezes that can topple light weight unsecured tripod launcher bases with just a monmentary gust.

1010 Rail-b_Tap .25in-20 core Hole_11-02-13.jpg

1010 Rail-c_Install Threaded .25in St.Stl. Pin_11-02-13.JPG

Mini 8020-a_20mm #5537T117 mount_03-14.JPG

Mini 8020-b_20mm 2-Slot Rail (.1875in mounting pin)_03-14.JPG

686b-Lp01a_20mm Mini Rail Button Test-a1_Baby Bertha on Rail_04-19-14.jpg

View attachment MakerBeam Launcher Mount Detail Dwg-C.pdf

MakerBeam-c1_10mm Rail Profile_03-20-14.JPG

Mini & Micro 20 & 10mm Rails with launcher mt pins_03-14.jpg

691Lp01a_MM MakerBeam Test-c1_Silver Streak (A10-3T) Test on 900mm Rail_04-19-14.jpg

MM 403a-Lp01a_MakerBeam 900mm Rail Button Test_T3  Model #1_04-19-14.jpg

I have been stockpiling kits for a sometime while I messed with other hobbies. Thinking I should look into getting some beamss and buttons before building a bunch of rockets with lugs. I really like the 2 in 1 bem idea, forgive my ignorance, if I understand correctly the larger or the smaller beam is very hard to find or both?

Last edited:
One more question if I may as well, can anyone tell me what specific (part numbers or specs) buttons fit what rails? If I begin to order some of these items I want to make sure I am getting items that will work together. And Im only doing lpr and mpr for now if that helps.

One more question if I may as well, can anyone tell me what specific (part numbers or specs) buttons fit what rails? If I begin to order some of these items I want to make sure I am getting items that will work together. And Im only doing lpr and mpr for now if that helps.

Check out rail-buttons.com Randy sells them by what rail they fit.

Just got a pair of rails from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O832P6M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Hope these are the right ones, they only had 13 left and I just grabbed them, since they had been out of stock for a while.
Any more specifics on the screws would be appreciated, also opinions as to which is better, screws or nylon buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hope these are the right ones, they only had 13 left and I just grabbed them, since they had been out of stock for a while.
Any more specifics on the screws would be appreciated, also opinions as to which is better, screws or nylon buttons.

I use the nylon buttons but replace the screw with a brass one, the screw head makes the top of the buttons.

I got some stainless ones from Fastenall. I will be using the supplied nylon screws for other purposes.

I use the nylon buttons but replace the screw with a brass one, the screw head makes the top of the buttons.

I'm thinking of doing the same. I have black 2-56 screws to go with the black buttons and SS 2-56 screws for the white.

I got some stainless ones from Fastenall. I will be using the supplied nylon screws for other purposes.

The nylon screws make awesome shear pins for the bigger rockets.

This is the type of flat head machine screw I'm using. They glide so nice you almost expect the rocket to launch before ignition.
They are Stainless Steel, but they are soft and easy to cut to the right number of threads.
I do the "Drill hole, screw them in, remove them, CA the hole, Dry the hole with Q-tip quickly, then CA on the threads and screw into position" method. I use regular CA to harden the threads, but for screwing in the screw for good, I use Gorilla brand CA, as it has a more forgiving working time, and is rubberized for maximum durability.

Wonderful Machine Screws 2002-12-31 002.jpgBT-5 Rocket Work Stand 2002-12-31 001.jpg

I have tested the rails. I have a launch this weekend and will take some pictures.

Yes the MakerBeam 10mm rails are the correct ones to be used with www.rail-buttons.com Micro Rail Buttons.

You certainly can replace the 2-56" nylon binder head screws with brass or stainless steel but it really is not at all necessary.

During Beta testing last summer I and several others build and flew many models from BT-3 to BT-80 from the MakerBeam 10mm x 1500mm rails with stock Micro Rail buttons using Nylon 2-56" attachment screws. Flying these various size models on motors from MMX-II(1/8A) thru Estes D12 & some E9 motors.
Not a single problem was seen from binding or models slipping from the rail or any Button failure what-so-ever. Hope this answers some of the doubts about the strangth and longevity of these fine tiny Rail Buttons.

Over the last week I've had a chance to recieve and do a number of experiments on the NanoBeam 5mm Launch Rails.

Trying first to use sanded down wire nails as buttons several problems raised their ugly head.... No pun intended. First using 1/2" x 19ga. standard wire nails the head had to be flattened on two opposite sides to get them to fit well in the slot. Without any type of slot filling nylon or other type sleeve these nails did slide up and down the rail just fine BUT! if they are allowed to slip or rock side-to-side the model fell out of the slot.

After looking through my stock I found a 1/16" dia. PTFE tube that just fit over a 00-90 stainless steel button head machine screw. so gave them a try. Adding a tiny 1/8" OD x 1/32" clear polycarbonate flat washer (it's what I had) this combination allowed a minimum diameter T2+(.281") Body tube Test model to slide freely up and down the full length of the rail but did not allow any side-to-side movement. Yes there is a small amount of friction between the hand cut 1/16" long 1/16" dia PTFE sleeve but did not bind under thurst. As is almost alway the case no launch photo way caught just a smoke trail:(

It is my considered opinion that either a 19ga wire nail or 00-90 machine screw 3/16" or 1/4" Long will be the standard Rail Button for this 5mm rail. But either absolutely must have some sort of fill sleeve to fit the rail opening.
Hope the photos below will help.

5mm x 5mm Nanobeam Rail dimensioned dwg_03-22-16.jpg

NanoBeam-a1_5mm Beams, Mount & Sign_04-02-16.JPG

NanoBeam-e1_Finished 5mm x 30cm Micro Launch Rail_04-02-16.jpg

NanoBeam-f2a_5mmNanoBeaminTripodAdapter&2-10mmBeams_04-02-16.jpg

NanoBeam-g1_00-90 thin BH St.Stl. (MS as buttons)_04-05-16.jpg

NanoBeam-g2_00-90 x .1875in BHMS Buttons in rail_04-05-16.JPG

NanoBeam-h1b_00-90 MS,Sleeve,Washer,Bit,Tap_04-07-16.JPG

NanoBeam-h3_.125 x .00 Lexan flat washers in place_04-07-16.JPG

NanoBeam-h4b_Close 00-90 Buttons on Test Model_04-07-16.JPG

NanoBeam-h4c_Close 00-90 Button Model on Rail_04-07-16.jpg

Last edited:
Over the last week I've had a chance to recieve and do a number of experiments on the NanoBeam 5mm Launch Rails.

Trying first to use sanded down wire nails as buttons several problems raised their ugly head.... No pun intended. First using 1/2" x 19ga. standard wire nails the head had to be flattened on two opposite sides to get them to fit well in the slot. Without any type of slot filling nylon or other type sleeve these nails did slide up and down the rail just fine BUT! if they are allowed to slip or rock side-to-side the model fell out of the slot.

After looking through my stock I found a 1/16" dia. PTFE tube that just fit over a 00-90 stainless steel button head machine screw. so gave them a try. Adding a tiny 1/8" OD x 1/32" clear polycarbonate flat washer (it's what I had) this combination allowed a minimum diameter T2+(.281") Body tube Test model to slide freely up and down the full length of the rail but did not allow any side-to-side movement. Yes there is a small amount of friction between the hand cut 1/16" long 1/16" dia PTFE sleeve but did not bind under thurst. As is almost alway the case no launch photo way caught just a smoke trail:(

It is my considered opinion that either a 19ga wire nail or 00-90 machine screw 3/16" or 1/4" Long will be the standard Rail Button for this 5mm rail. But either absolutely must have some sort of fill sleeve to fit the rail opening.
Hope the photos below will help.

Awesome post Micro! Nice to see some real world results of Nanobeam.:clap:

I have not ordered mine yet, but it's great to see you figure it out first.

Is that a Nanobeam Bumper Sticker in the second pic'??

Last edited:
Tested the nanorail today. I used plastistruc h beams as my buttons.

I think what I'll try about the screw threads when using screws for buttons is fill them with JB Weld, then sand them smooth.
That seems to solve that.
If you can find a tiny enough one, the telescopic antenna from AM/FM radios have the tiniest section that can be cut into tiny sleeves.

I'll try the JB Weld on this one, since I'm using JB Quick on the Fins anyhow. It's Makerbeam size, but will be a good test for this method.

StarTrooper Fin Tabs 2002-12-31 030.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome post Micro! Nice to see some real world results of Nanobeam.:clap:

I have not ordered mine yet, but it's great to see you figure it out first.

Is that a Nanobeam Bumper Sticker in the second pic'??

10-4: Its a bumper sticker that came with the 10pk of 30cm long rails. It's going to end up on my Micro Maxx Range Box:)
The only trouble with shooting MMX video is you have to have a second person with you doing the taping since if you take your eye of the model it's generally a crap shoot if you will ever see it again. I'll have this Nanorail at the next Narhams sport launch and will try to get a video of one or two launches. Not sure how to upload videos but will figure that out if we get anything worth uploading:)

CWBullet: What size Plastisturct beam did you use? Wanted to try a plastic H or I beam with our NanoBeam rails but all the plastic beams at my local hobby shop were either way to big or far too small:(
Was it from Plastistruct or Evergreen?
Thanks.

If any of you are interested in an "all in one place article" on the currently available Launch rails, and what rail buttons go with which rails. I recently finished an article for our club new letter Zog-43 published in our April Issue.

You can downlaod the entire TechTip-021 Launch Rail and Rail Buttons, from the Library section of our www.narhams.org web site. It's a 9 page comprehensive look at all the available rails from 80/20 inc., McMaster-Carr and the smaller rails from MakerBeam and NanoBeam with extrusion sections, and rail buttons for various sources. It also includes all the recent research done on the NanoBeams for MMX models with photos and the different items used for Nano Rail Buttons.
Hope this will be of help.

Last edited:
If any of you are interested in an "all in one place article" on the currently available Launch rails, and what rail buttons go with which rails. I recently finished an article for our club new letter Zog-43 published in our April Issue.

You can downlaod the entire TechTip-021 Launch Rail and Rail Buttons, from the Library section of our www.narhams,org web site. It's a 9 page comprehensive look at all the available rails from 80/20 inc., McMaster-Carr and the smaller rails from MakerBeam and NanoBeam with extrusion sections, and rail buttons for various sources. It also includes all the recent research done on the NanoBeams for MMX models with photos and the different items used for Nano Rail Buttons.
Hope this will be of help.

John, the link to Narhams seems to be broken, as I am getting a "problem loading page" error, may just be me, not sure.

Last edited:
These 20mm rails... they only come in 4'? I'm thinking these might be good for some of my larger MPR, smaller HPR builds.... G-I powered... mostly 3", 29mm... Thoughts?

Later!

--Coop

These 20mm rails... they only come in 4'? I'm thinking these might be good for some of my larger MPR, smaller HPR builds.... G-I powered... mostly 3", 29mm... Thoughts?
Later!

--Coop

Yes they can be purchased from McMaster-Carr in 72" lenghts also. But the 48" is just fine for most MPR models up to the 3.3lb (1500gram) mark.

Much thanks, John. I'll look into McMaster, and see about obtaining one. I don't want to put 1010 buttons on these purely for aesthetics, but the smaller buttons might be the ticket.

Later!

--Coop

Back