Orion III model

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revell (I think...) made a plastic model of it in the late 60's. I had one and thought it would be fun to put two Estes motors in the back, never did it though.

Actually there have been at least 3 plastic model kits of the Pan Am Space Clipper Orion over the years.
I had one of the original Revell kits back in the 70's which I converted for Flight.. Due to the mass it takes a C6-3 to fly not two 13mm motors.
To make the model stable requires a good bit of Clear Polycarbonate fin material but the model flys beautifully, Recovering on a standard 18" Estes type plastic chute.

A Few years back (around 1996 I converted one of the 2nd round USAirfix #70060 1/144th models from around 1983. Later Airfix re-relaeased the 1/144th kit under another number #06171 in 2003. My second 1/144th Orion converted and flys just as well as the original.
Not sure if this Orion-III is going to be kitted but it looks like it could be a very nice kit if made available.

Pan Am Space Clipper Orion-1-sm_1st Flt 144PMC b&w_01-06-72.jpg

Pan Am Space clipper-sm_ Orion PMC 1st Flt_01-08-72.jpg

189a-sm_PanAm SpaceClipper Orion PMC_07-07-96.jpg

Back