Beginner - Questions on getting started

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedV

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I launched rockets as a kid, and now that I have one who is fascinated with rockets and all things space I thought it might be fun to pick it back up. I have spent a fair amount of time reading up but had a few questions I couldn't find answers to and am hoping I might benefit from the wealth of experience and knowledge on this great forum.

First things first I guess - I am looking for a rocket that won't fly too high. Seems like every rocket blurb talks about how high it will go, but not how low. At least at first, I'd be happy with 200' to 300' launches all day. I know from reading that the "first flight" recommendations are typically low-power motors and low-height, but I cannot find any info on how high those go. I did see a comment somewhere, maybe Amazon, that talked about the Mini Honest John and the Baby Bertha, but it didn't go into detail unfortunately. Your recommendations would sure be appreciated.

Second, I'll need everything. I was planning on buying a launch set, something like the Estes 1469 Tandem-X Launch Set. I understand the Amazon rocket is big but a low-flyer so that might work. I'd sure appreciate any other recommendations for a good starter set with room to grow.

Last, I live in the Northern Virginia area and saw folks launching at a school a few years back which sort of planted the thought in the first place. I know there are a couple big clubs but they really seem focused on big rockets and big crowds. I was hoping there might be a place where folks frequent where I won't be violating some laws or regs I've never heard of :) Any thoughts or pointers sure would be welcome.

Thanks for reading and for any advice!

Ted

Welcome

It will be great to pass this along to your kid - just be careful about picking up the "Rocket Bug". It has been know to decimate wallets... :wink:

With the smaller B4 engines in the Amazon you will probably be in your altitude range.
If you have a Hobby Lobby or a Michael's (that carries rockets), check for their 40% off coupons

Most clubs support the LPR rockets as well as the big ones. They know LPR is the gateway "drug" to get you hooked and wanting to expand

In terms of school yards and parks you will need to check for any local rules/ordinances that may prohibit flying a rocket....

Make sure you post pix of your Rocketry Adventures!

Anything with the A8-3 as a recommended motor is going to stay pretty low on said motor. Replace the parachute with a streamer, and you'll keep it on the field all day.

Welcome, I too have young ones interested in rocketry. An easy to build, lower flying kit could easily be one of the Estes Crayon rockets, with a B6-2 altitudes of 300'-500' feet are the norm. They are easy to assemble, kids identify with the rocket ( young ones especially), they are quick to re-prep for launch. There are lots of other kits in the E2X lineup (Easy 2 Assemble) that will be great for older kids. Most 1.6" (BT60) rockets with A-B-C motors will be low to mid altitude rockets.

While the rocketry clubs seem focused on large rockets, most clubs offer something for every skill level, whether it be low power, mid power, or high power, scratch builders, scale builders, 4H, Cub Scouts, TARC (a new one to our cub), NAR Competition etc. Clubs are worth joining, they offer a collection of knowledge and a willingness to share it, they also offer the support and resources of their chartering organization National Association of Rocketry or the Tripoli Rocketry Association.

Last edited:
Buy the Tandem X kit. It was my return to rocketry and I still fly both rockets every time I launch. I have a review on Amazon that for some reason I can't link to now, it's from June 5, 2013, I'm K. Lehmkuhl.

Welcome to this great/fun hobby. All the above suggestions are right on point. The only piece of advice I would offer is to find out your local municipalities ordinances on launching model rockets, before you buy a launch set. I would not want to buy a launcher, only to find out that you can't launch in your area, or too many hoops to jump thru!
If that happens then the closest club would be the best bet. I can not impress enough the advantages of joining a club. 1. they have launch facilities. 2. As stated before most clubs support/encourage low power. 3. You get to see many launches usually low to mid power. Even high power launches launch low power. The only problem with this is getting the bug to go bigger & higher. 4. The people in this hobby are very friendly & helpful & will give you guidance and advice along the way. Good luck and have fun.

Welcome!

Another option for low flying rockets on nearly any motor you can stick in it would be the basket rockets that people like George Gassaway design (and I build). They are plastic baskets bought from the dollar store that are modified into saucer rockets.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?70788

pudBke2.jpg

Hi Folks,

I launched rockets as a kid, and now that I have one who is fascinated with rockets and all things space I thought it might be fun to pick it back up. I have spent a fair amount of time reading up but had a few questions I couldn't find answers to and am hoping I might benefit from the wealth of experience and knowledge on this great forum.

First things first I guess - I am looking for a rocket that won't fly too high. Seems like every rocket blurb talks about how high it will go, but not how low. At least at first, I'd be happy with 200' to 300' launches all day. I know from reading that the "first flight" recommendations are typically low-power motors and low-height, but I cannot find any info on how high those go. I did see a comment somewhere, maybe Amazon, that talked about the Mini Honest John and the Baby Bertha, but it didn't go into detail unfortunately. Your recommendations would sure be appreciated.

Second, I'll need everything. I was planning on buying a launch set, something like the Estes 1469 Tandem-X Launch Set. I understand the Amazon rocket is big but a low-flyer so that might work. I'd sure appreciate any other recommendations for a good starter set with room to grow.

Last, I live in the Northern Virginia area and saw folks launching at a school a few years back which sort of planted the thought in the first place. I know there are a couple big clubs but they really seem focused on big rockets and big crowds. I was hoping there might be a place where folks frequent where I won't be violating some laws or regs I've never heard of :) Any thoughts or pointers sure would be welcome.

Thanks for reading and for any advice!

Ted

Welcome back!
I've created a "welcome page" to introduce people to the hobby:
jcrocket.com/welcome.shtml

Then go to John's https://www.thrustcurve.org/ and go to motor guide. All you have to do is to put in the rocket diameter and empty weight provided by the manufacturer, input the diameter and length of the motor mount, and pick an average finish. The program will test all possible motors and predict the altitudes.

Bob

The Tandem X is a really great starter set. The Amazon will stay at a comfortable 250-300 feet on a B motor, and it's a slow lifter, so it's fun to watch.

If you're looking to branch out, I would like to recommend my first rocket, the Estes Der Red Max. Not only does it look terribly cool, it doesn't fly too high. Maybe 500-600 feet on a C, and about 250-350 on a B.

On the other hand, some of those tiny mini motor rockets can go very high! The Mini Honest John stays pretty low, but the Star Trooper can nearly hit 1000 feet - they just disappear!

Back