Chute Release & Plastic Chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
I would be very unsurprised if Mr. Beans himself was along shortly to comment (and the support I've seen from JL and John himself goes a long way towards me saving my :2::2::2: for a Chute Release...) :)

Has the Chute Release been tested (or used by a TRF member in the field) with Estes' el-cheapo polythene chutes? I know that sometimes the plastic chutes can be a little reluctant to open in general, so my gut says to just go ahead and get a nylon chute - if I'm using a CR, I don't have to worry so much about spill holes.... Thoughts?

I'd be worried the lines would slip out of the pack and tear through the plastic due to the flopping around during descent forces. Get a nylon chute and don't worry about it then. Kurt

Agreed. Plastic chutes are cheap and easy for kids and novices to use. But if you are serious about rocketry, throw them in the trash.

I know this opinion is sure to get some people riled up. Sorry in advance. :eek:

Regardless of what folks think of them, they work. Several of the test flights I made (see posts in the big CR thread) were with Estes or JonRocket plastic 'chutes. No problem.

After all, one of the major advantages of the device is that you can retrofit it to just about any rocket in which it will physically fit with essentially no other changes required. So if there's already a plastic 'chute in there, you can do it.

Agreed. Plastic chutes are cheap and easy for kids and novices to use. :grin:if you are serious about rocketry, throw them in the trash.

I know this opinion is sure to get some people riled up. Sorry in advance. :eek:

Don't be sorry, own it. It's your opinion. It just so happens that as a blanket statement about rocketry it's the wrong opinion. And that's my opinion ! :grin:

Please don't trash 'um. I, for one, will find a good home for them.

Last edited:
Talc is good but when I use it on large chutes it makes my garage smell like a changing room. It takes a lot of talc on a 72" chute and it can really stink the place up if it's scented. I finally broke down and bought unscented billiard talc. More expensive but well worth it. Plus my car no longer smells like a baby's behind.

Tony

ps: I bought baby powder once that was really cornstarch. Ended up throwing it away.

Talc is good but when I use it on large chutes it makes my garage smell like a changing room. It takes a lot of talc on a 72" chute and it can really stink the place up if it's scented. I finally broke down and bought unscented billiard talc. More expensive but well worth it. Plus my car no longer smells like a baby's behind.

Tony

ps: I bought baby powder once that was really cornstarch. Ended up throwing it away.

Oh yeah, cornstarch can create some pretty pyrotechnics. Welcome to the forum BTW. :) [edit] new (old) or old (new), either way. [/edit]

BEC's right, it works with plastic chutes.

And everyone else is right in that plastic chutes can sometimes tend to stay wadded, especially in the cold and if left packed for a long time. So normal precautions apply.

Another thing about Plastic and Mylar chutes is they need to be "Seasoned" by crushing repeatedly to soften up the canopy prior to applying a good heavy dusting of Talc.

PS: I have some 30+year old 18" and 24" estes Plastic Chutes that "feel" almost as soft as rip-stop nylon. They have hundreds of flight on them and the only thing that I've had to replace is the shroud lines. Which by the way I've replaced with 2strand 13lb kevlar eliminating the burned off line problem.

Seasoning Chutes is something that can and should be done while your watching TV or sitting around with nothing else for your hands to do. It takes a good amount of time to crunch an Estes type chute to the point it almost falls open by its own weight... But it can be done with time.

Start at one of the Shroud attachment corners, crushing the canopy into the palm of your hand between thumb and fingers. Flatten the canopy out moving to the next corner and repeat all the way around the chute. One or Two rounds will help but will not do the entire job. You'll have to keep on crunching until you are happy with how easily the canopy opens. When you get to that point talc baby power both sides of the canopy and re-pack/fold the chute. I usually keep my "Seasoned Chutes" in zip-lock baggies tri folded with the shrould lines loosely wrapped around the canopy.

Crumpling-e_4 pic Page_05-15-04.jpg

Back