What to use to cut Switch band on 4 1/2" FG tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michigander

Reaction score
I need to cut a switch band would a wet tile saw make a really good cut ? , I have 12 " miter saw but that seems like would tear up tube and destroy blade?

thanks in advance

I need to cut a switch band would a wet tile saw make a really good cut ? , I have 12 " miter saw but that seems like would tear up tube and destroy blade?
You can use a diamond blade in your chop saw. The only problem is they tend not to come in large diameters so 4.5" might be tough to find. (That's probably a 12" blade.)

Another option is to use a smaller diamond blade, mounted into a table saw and use a jig to roll the tube through the blade coming up from the table below.

A tile saw is better than either because the water washes away the particles instead of them going into your lungs, but again it's going to be hard to find a tile saw capable of cutting through the tube in one shot.

I built a jig around a cheap tile saw that might give you some other ideas: Cheap Tube Saw.

I've used my Delta miter saw with a carbide blade to cut 38mm FG tube, and it worked extremely well. Just go slow, especially towards the end of the cut.

EDIT- the last time I cut tube, I took off less than a 3/8 wide piece. Another tip, keep the blade down until it stops spinning.

Last edited:
I've used my Delta miter saw with a carbide blade to cut 38mm FG tube, and it worked extremely well. Just go slow, especially towards the end of the cut.

This will work, and I use a 10" Makita for cutting glass wrapped cardboard airframes. The slow feed part is whats really important, putting too much pressure will cause the blade to deflect just a bit. If your switch band is very narrow make sure the section of tubing you are cutting it off of is long enough to safely hold on to, I personally don't like clamping airframes to cut other than with my hand just in case I put to much pressure on the tube and egg it during the cut. Make sure and wear a respirator while cutting, a good particulate respirator is only $25-$40 at Home Depot, and once you have one it will have many other uses.

Here's the piece I cut off, not even sanded...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1456810753.670668.jpg

Clean as a whistle! Not even a nub.

I've lost track of how many FG tubes I've cut from 38mm to 9". 10" mitre box max is about 4" . You may have to rotate once to go through. Larger than 4" I've cut with a bimetal jig saw blade or I now have a simple sliding jig to cut them on a table saw. My method: use fine tooth , carbide saw blades, like 60 tooth or more on a 10" blade. Also your cut travel needs to be slow. For less than $10-15 you can make a tool to dress the ends on tubes up to 9" using a battery drill.

Last edited:
Tool to dress tube ends made with a 7" masonry blade and an arbor from Home Depot. I have another with a 10" blade. Metal cutting or masonry, which ever is cheaper, the glue a sheet of 120 sandpaper to it and trim around the edge or buy the self sticking pads.

1457013961011.jpg

Last edited:
Jig for kerfing and cutting big tubes. Careful using fences unless you use a jig like this and set your depth just enough to cut through the wall of the tube. Using a fence or full-sized stop and sliding a large blade all the way through a tube can bind if not careful. The cut off piece can fly apart if it becomes bound. Using a small stop like 1 x 2 mentioned early is the safest method.

Kerf 1.jpg

Attachments

• 1457014528361.jpg
    1457014528361.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Reinforced cut off wheel, dremel, and a hose clamp to use as a guide for a straight cut. Did it yesterday it was painless and came out square.

Cuts fiberglass like butter and its cheap too. Do it outside and wear a disposable mask, as the fine dust goes everywhere.

https://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20346076

What I use also. The metal cutoff wheel on a chop saw or miter saw will last a long time and they are cheap cheap cheap. I use a good particulate respirator and goggles when cutting or sanding fiberglass:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FTEDMM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Made the cut tonight , thanks everybody for the ideas

used that masonry blade , not perfect but good enough , marks will line it back up so no biggie

cut.jpg

For years I've been using a 12" 100 tooth carbide blade in my Dewalt (non-sliding) cutoff saw. I get PERFECT cuts every time that are as good or better than factory cuts. Surprisingly there is little dust produced by the blade, but of course I wear a mask. I then hold the tube tightly against the fence by hand and go very slowly waiting for the blade to stop after the cut is done. After, I hold a large sheet of 220 grit sandpaper in one hand while rotating the tube end back and forth which cleans up the edge both inside and out, the same way I prep factory cut tubes.

Back