Should I post my Level 3 certification document?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I post my Level 3 NAR certification document?

• YES! Pay it forward and be a help to others who don't know where to begin!

• NO! Not fair! Why make it easy for others?

• NO! This is between you and your L3CC and no one else's business.

• NO! You'll open yourself up to too much criticism.

• Other (state in reply).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I have only seen one or two people's Level 3 certification document. There does not seem to be a precedent for putting them online for others to see. Personally, I think it would be helpful to have them out there as a help to others, but not everyone may agree.

So, here is a poll. I have made it with multiple answers allowed, because someone might see both good and bad reasons at the same time.

Let me add that I am certifying through NAR, and thus the document will comply with that organization's requirements. So it may or may not be a help to anyone certifying through TRA.

I put a fair amount of time into mine. My TAPs asked if they could post it to the club web site. I said yes but I have not seen it yet, or maybe it is up there without any obvious links, to share via email.

I think anyone working on an L3 document should have access to an example or two, whether real or contrived.

I got a copy of Watermelonman's as a guide from my TAP. I'll post mine when it's ready for prime time.

why not :)

I have mine out there somewhere on the interwebs

Yes, and I'll post mine too when I'm at the correct computer. There are only a few examples floating around, so this is at least bound to stir ideas. In fact, I think a thread where we collect these documents with as few extra posts as is practical would be excellent. Kind of like an L3 library...perhaps we could get one of the mods to create a thread where these could be housed, and lock out comments so as to avoid the arm chair quarterbacking that would be inevitable.

Yes, and I'll post mine too when I'm at the correct computer. There are only a few examples floating around, so this is at least bound to stir ideas. In fact, I think a thread where we collect these documents with as few extra posts as is practical would be excellent. Kind of like an L3 library...perhaps we could get one of the mods to create a thread where these could be housed, and lock out comments so as to avoid the arm chair quarterbacking that would be inevitable.

A nice idea, but I don't know how you could allow people to post documents but not comments.

This poll closes in two more days. If the results stay this positive, I'll put it up next week.

In effect my L3 doc was my L3 Build thread (https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?8020-Level-3-Build-Diary). Yes open to criticism, but frankly, I believe that, like in defending a Ph.D. thesis, an L3 project should stand up to questioning. In fact, I wish peer review (outside of two TAP's or L3CC's) was a requirement of some sort.

On one hand peer review is great. And then there's what happened with Ari.

I've got mine posted to the URRG forum. I'd post it here, but having seen other L3 build threads...they just turn into shitshows and a bunch of people telling you what it "should be".

I do think having a guide document is a good idea. I had a friend send me one, and it helped just to give me an idea of what was expected. the requirements are slightly vague on what level of detail to go into.

In effect my L3 doc was my L3 Build thread (https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?8020-Level-3-Build-Diary). Yes open to criticism, but frankly, I believe that, like in defending a Ph.D. thesis, an L3 project should stand up to questioning. In fact, I wish peer review (outside of two TAP's or L3CC's) was a requirement of some sort.

I have defended a doctoral dissertation. Questioning is limited to a committee that is usually four or five highly qualified individuals in the field. I fully agree with you about standing up to questioning, but putting the document on a forum such as this is completely different. There are many on this forum who have the knowledge and temperament to provide valuable input. I have learned much from these individuals. However, there are many who have no clue what they are talking about and like to give useless advice just to see their name in print. We have picked up several recently.

Last edited:

I have defended a doctoral dissertation. Questioning is limited to a committee that is usually four or five highly qualified individuals in the field. I fully agree with you about standing up to questioning, but putting the document on a forum such as this is completely different. There are many on this forum who have the knowledge and temperament to provide valuable input. I have learned much from these individuals. However, there are many who have no clue what they are talking about and like to give useless advice just to see their name in print. We have picked up several recently.

Defended once and got my letters...no desire to again. Constructive.commentary from those who actually know what they are doing is welcome, but as pointed out this is not always the kind that comes. To do what I suggested earlier would require a sticky thread that was locked, and a mod willing to post the docs to it when they are made available.

Defended once and got my letters...no desire to again. Constructive.commentary from those who actually know what they are doing is welcome, but as pointed out this is not always the kind that comes. To do what I suggested earlier would require a sticky thread that was locked, and a mod willing to post the docs to it when they are made available.

Completely agree.

Until then...if it happens...there are many L3 docs on the web if you do the research. They are not that uncommon.

Back