2016 F1 Season Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand why tracks that host MotoGP prefer ("need", really) gravel. Unfortunately, for cars, gravel is evil ...

Interestingly, this happened at the same corner where a marshal was killed in 2001, although the runoff is much larger than it used to be.

I thought they were going to stop the race after seeing Alonso. Completely insane. Glad he is alright, I replayed it in slomo on my tv a few times and it looked that Esteban cut left and broke early to kinda force Alonso to take the outside or block the over take, which Alonso thought he had until Esteban cut over and lifted or broke, you see Esteban in both his mirrors just prior. Just unfortunate for everyone.

I thought they were going to stop the race after seeing Alonso. Completely insane. Glad he is alright, I replayed it in slomo on my tv a few times and it looked that Esteban cut left and broke early to kinda force Alonso to take the outside or block the over take, which Alonso thought he had until Esteban cut over and lifted or broke, you see Esteban in both his mirrors just prior. Just unfortunate for everyone.
Yeah, 'Nando has (quite graciously IMNSHO) called it a racing incident, but it looked like Esteban zagged after zigging, which is a "no-no".

Of course, it's always much easier to analyze after the incident than figure out what is in humans' heads in the heat of the moment.

It was certainly a perfect (and graphic) example of what the "safety cell" and "crumple zone" concepts mean ... The car looked folded in half afterwards, but the tub was in "perfect" shape.

We've come a long way ...

Right all this talk of canopies....just got real. I found it absolutely amazing that it flew vertical as long as it did and as straight as it did with no drop in height. Crazy

Well, phase one of my move to Virginia has happened; so, now I live out in BFE with crappy, rate-limited satellite Internet and no DVR, so, I haven't seen Abu Dhabi yet.

That said, let's hear a big old rebel yell for Haas F1 and Grosjean; from what I've read so far, they were impressive in quali, and very impressive in the race ... There might be hope.

(Cue the naysayers that state that the rules shouldn't have allowed them to buy so many parts <cough>Pat Symonds!</cough>. While I respect him, in general, as an engineer, I lost a lot of respect for him as a human being after Singapore '09. Additionally, I'm no Ferrari fan ... Either way, I think that was a jackass comment of his; I think F1 needs to move back towards what it was in the '60s (and '70s, and '80s). Artificially low entrant counts are not good for the sport, and, ultimately, not good for the business)

Well I caught up on my DVR and finished the Bahrain weekend. Wow, what an impressive showing of Hass, McLaren and and red bull. I wonder how Hamilton will start in China with Nico winning that last 5 races. Will they abandon the new qualifying sessions? I haven't seen much follow up since they said it would be tried one more time.

...stupid, what?...

[video=youtube;-4ROdBk3ZfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ROdBk3ZfI[/video]

I haven't seen any interviews with Nico or Lewis yet, but I hope that Lewis doesn't try to lay the blame all at Nico's feet. He's pulled some ruthless moves on Nico in the past and he made 2-3 moves at the start before the first corner.

Meanwhile I'm really happy for Max. He drove like a champion. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season unrolls with Red Bull expecting a huge upgrade to their engine from Canada onward. Ferrari still don't seem to have an answer for Mercedes and it looks like Red Bull are at least going to give them a tough fight for 2nd in the constructors championship.

Just got done watching the DVR'd practice, quali, and gp......... Holllllly Crap! I will say they coverage that NBCSN does with their team is fantastic! I believe Nico and Hamilton were split in liability on this, maybe 60 Nico 40 Hamilton, no need to block all the way to the right side of the track when your racing line is far far left into the apex, Hamilton could have backed off but once you are committed to a move like that you cant stop, where as Nico could of pulled left being in control of his line, obviously Hamilton was carrying tremendous speed into his overtake because after he spun, he gained more speed and slid farther than Nico in the gravel.

Nice to see the other teams get great coverage through the race, and Verstapen was amazing! Kyvat is disappointing with his attitude lately and Kimi really had a hard time passing him, but was driving his tail off.

I havent seen any interviews either as My DVR didn't catch F1 extra, looks like it went to a English Premier League match right after the podium. Any links to the driver interviews?

Lewis had him after the apex of turn 3, and Nico came way inside of his line to block Hamilton. If Lewis had backed off, he probably would have lost 3 or 4 positions, at least. He probably figured that there was no way that Nico would force him all the way into the grass. Apparently he was wrong. This is Nico's fault, for not maintaining his racing line in a safe manner; there was absolutely no reason for him to come inside all the way to the grass. I haven't heard if there are any fines or suspensions, but Nico deserves something (besides getting the hell chewed out of him by his team manager).

Hamilton's fault...period. Going to the inside to block is a perfectly legal move. BTW...no fines and no suspensions...racing accident....which it basically was. I just assign more blame to Hamilton.

Last edited:
I think Hamilton has been getting a little sloppy and was pushing a bit too hard. I think Nico is in his head and he was trying to make a statement. I personally think he got away with pulling a Japanese Senna, same move to the same effect.

There is a good video on this in the formula1.com site. I think Lewis made a bad choice going for the pass on the right.

No, it's not. Any overlap, and Hamilton had some overlap, requires the driver being overtake to give the overtaking driver racing room. I've been an SCCA Steward for 17 years and been Chief Steward of two pro series run under FIA rules. There was less difference between this incident and the Schumacher-Villeneuve incident than I've seen between any two incidents. That one cost Schumacher an entire season of points. The FIA stewards remain inconsistent in their application of their own rules.

Hamilton's fault...period. Going to the inside to block is a perfectly legal move. BTW...no fines and no suspensions...racing accident....which it basically was. I just assign more blame to Hamilton.

Rossberg's car was suboptimal. He had an obligation to avoid other cars. Hamilton's move was the right one. More room on the right than left. High closing speed (for F1.) In car video uses wide angle lenses which tends to distort the distance between cars. Hamilton had four choices. The one he chose was the best of the four. Rossberg used Schumacher instinct and should have been penalized accordingly.

There is a good video on this in the formula1.com site. I think Lewis made a bad choice going for the pass on the right.

I think Hamilton has been getting a little sloppy and was pushing a bit too hard. I think Nico is in his head and he was trying to make a statement. I personally think he got away with pulling a Japanese Senna, same move to the same effect.

As good as he is, Nico ain't Senna. I have a lot of admiration for Hamilton too, but he ain't Prost either... if he was he would have lifted just enough to tail Nico once he saw what he was doing, and would have waited for his opportunity in the remaining laps. Another Mercedes 1-2 down the drain.

You got it the other way round. Senna ran Prost out of the race, he also has more talent. Hamilton ran Nico out of the race and is more talented than Nico.

Rossberg's car was suboptimal. He had an obligation to avoid other cars. Hamilton's move was the right one. More room on the right than left. High closing speed (for F1.) In car video uses wide angle lenses which tends to distort the distance between cars. Hamilton had four choices. The one he chose was the best of the four. Rossberg used Schumacher instinct and should have been penalized accordingly.

It was Hamilton who hit Nico so, who is there to avoid? I'm not watching in car video. There is other video that will support my argument. Unless Lewis was substantially beside him Nico did not need to allow width for Lewis' car. Lewis should have moved to the left then easy pass.

The only reason there was room to the left was because Nico moved to the right to Block Lewis. Before that more there was more room to the right. And who hit whom isn't the issue. Nico attempted a block that resulted in pushing Lewis off track, into a spin and took both of them out. This issue is blocking.

It was Hamilton who hit Nico so, who is there to avoid? I'm not watching in car video. There is other video that will support my argument. Unless Lewis was substantially beside him Nico did not need to allow width for Lewis' car. Lewis should have moved to the left then easy pass.

Guys, although this thread hasn't been as active as I'd hope, I would ask that we keep the finger-pointing about a settled (no fines, sanctions or penalties; 'racing incident') to a minimum so that the thread doesn't get closed.

KThxBye

Guys, although this thread hasn't been as active as I'd hope, I would ask that we keep the finger-pointing about a settled (no fines, sanctions or penalties; 'racing incident') to a minimum so that the thread doesn't get closed.
KThxBye

It's active enough... for a rocketry forum :) I'm jonesing, though, no racing today and all three major racing series are going at it next weekend with Monaco, Indianapolis and Charlotte being on tap. I'm looking forward to a racing overdose :)

Any thoughts on how Verstapen will do at Monaco? Last year he went head on into the barriers after the chicane.....also does it look like FerrarI slowed their pace after Melbourne and Bahrain? Why?

BTW...The McLaren Honda is THE best sounding engine EVER!

Any thoughts on how Verstapen will do at Monaco? Last year he went head on into the barriers after the chicane.....also does it look like FerrarI slowed their pace after Melbourne and Bahrain? Why?

BTW...The McLaren Honda is THE best sounding engine EVER!

Naaaa, the 50's BRM V16's ...in Stereo :) [video=youtube;rRNoRlLlsD8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRNoRlLlsD8[/video]

Back