Dynasoar Rocketry X-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
I purchased one of Dynasoars X-15 kits and couldn't be more pleased so far. The kit was shipped quickly and arrived undamaged. It's very easy to build, and I really like the modular motor mount that allows you to easily change from rocket power to a brushless motor. The instructions and parts fit was perfect. This is the first time I've worked with depron, and there is a learning curve when it comes to sanding and shaping. However, most will learn the touch pretty quickly. Frank has a lot of Youtube videos on flying the various models and one showing step by step construction.

IMG_4918.jpg

When do you plan on flying it? Would love to see it fly. Hopefully I will be attending the next SC launch. Vacation paper is on my desk in front of me.

IMG_4919.jpg
This picture shows the cool modular motor mount that quickly changes from rocket power to a brushless motor.

IMG_4920.jpg
Rail buttons installed on the side with plastic reinforcements.

IMG_4921.jpg
Full flying stab the model has no ailerons. Simple and only requires two servos.

When do you plan on flying it? Would love to see it fly. Hopefully I will be attending the next SC launch. Vacation paper is on my desk in front of me.

I hope to have it flying sometime in March. Need to order some new r/c gear.

Ordered the stickers from Stickershock, and picked up some Model Master flat black last night as well. Planning on getting the X-15 painted on Saturday.

Painted with Testors Model Masters, stickers by Stickershock. Balanced ready to fly is 11.6oz.

IMG_0177.jpg

Got three flights yesterday, 1st and 2nd flights were in around 10 mph winds and the 3rd flight was in calm conditions. All three flights used the E6-RC, al ignited on the first try with the supplied igniters. For the 1st and 2nd flights I balanced per Franks instructions, the 3rd flight I took a small amount of weight off. Might continue to take a small amount of weight off in future flights, but I feel the balance is very close.

The X-15 is very stable, and extremely easy to fly from launch to landing. The launch is almost hands off, very controllable, and smooth during the motor burn. Perfect amount of power thrust provided by the E6. The third launch I was able to do a couple rolls, and one four point roll on the way up. On the flap switch I have about a 1/4 of up elevator I can turn on after the motor burn which trims the X-15 just about perfectly.

Let me tell you, it's a lot of fun to fly and everyone really enjoyed it at our field yesterday. Cleaning the motor casing, and preparing another load takes no more than ten minutes.

Frank at Dynasoar Rocketry has a lot of really neat designs and so far all of them fly great. Not to mention, Frank is a super nice guy to deal with and ships orders very quickly. If you're on the fence at trying one of his designs, get off and do it.

The attached pics were taken by Todd Haring

IMG_0184.JPGIMG_0185.JPGIMG_0190.jpgIMG_0193.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work on the project. I bet it took a lot of cans to paint it.

Thanks! If I remember it took two cans, not bad really considering I got 40% off at Hobby Lobby. Testors paint has a lot of pigment so it covered quickly with light coats.

Looks great John, I'm glad people are trying these and having fun, I've sold more x-15's than any other kit, almost 2 to 1

I think the demand for E6 reloads may be going up due to these models. I tried Red Arrow and Balsa Machine Services and they were out. I got three E6 reloads about a week ago from Performance Hobbies. Rocketarium has a very good price on the RMS-24/20-40 plugged R/C motor case, when they can be found in stock.

I think the demand for E6 reloads may be going up due to these models. I tried Red Arrow and Balsa Machine Services and they were out. I got three E6 reloads about a week ago from Performance Hobbies. Rocketarium has a very good price on the RMS-24/20-40 plugged R/C motor case, when they can be found in stock.

I agree, I got the last ones from Balsa Machine before he went on vacation.

I know Mike at Bay area rocketry doesn't show them on his page, but he had several bags of E6 reloads in stock mid last week.

Looks great John, I'm glad people are trying these and having fun, I've sold more x-15's than any other kit, almost 2 to 1

Thank you Frank for providing these great designs! Easy to build, and extremely fun.

Back