PVC Bow (for archery)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKailas Dad

Reaction score
Anybody made one? I'm to broke to buy a 'real' bow, but PVC is super cheap. Heck, I've probably got some laying around the house. I'm thinking of using tubular Kevlar (I have) for the string. They recommend 550 para cord, but...don't have that.

It certainly looks easy enough to make! All kinds of online instructions.

In case you're wondering, I'm wanting to use it for a tree recovery :(

I was thinking of making a crossbow, but not sure if those are legal here.

I wouldn't recommend using a bow to aid in the recovery of a tree'd rocket. There are just too many safety concerns.

I wouldn't recommend using a bow to aid in the recovery of a tree'd rocket. There are just too many safety concerns.

I'm getting to old to climb trees, can't reach it with poles, and no luck with a sling shot. I'm running out of options :(

Unfortunately, a chainsaw or shotgun is out of the question. :p

As far as the safety concern? From the direction I would be shooting the arrow from, there is nothing but swamp and a river in the backdrop. While there are a couple houses across the river, they're well over 800 feet away.

Even so, the homemade PVC bows I've seen online are lucky if they're an 80lb pull. 60lb seems on the high end, actually. I am by no means an 'archer' but I'd think that would be lucky to make it 300 feet, though I could be wrong.

I'd be firing at about a 60 degree up angle, from 40-50 feet from the tree. My plan is to tie a string to the arrow, and lob it over the branch. Tie rope to string, then start jiggling...the branch I mean.

It could be a slim shot, but like I said, I'm running out of options and got at least a couple hundred bucks worth of rocket stuff hangin up there :(

I'm certainly open to other ideas!

I've heard mixed things on the PVC bows. I've wanted to build one myself, just never really got around to it.

I looked at a couple of designs and am more than a little impressed. If you have the stuff on hand to do it, I say go for it, it looks like a fun project. On the other hand, I know that you are trying to save $$ where you can but a kids target bow can be had for $15-$20 at many sporting goods stores (Cabela's, Dick's and Basspro) and may be worth a look if the PVC option doesn't pan out.

I assume that this is kind of high since you mentioned using a sling shot but I have used a baseball on many occasions to get a line up in a tree. I can't throw like I could when I was 25 but I think 30 feet up is doable.

My oldest son, and his wife, as it happens, are avid hunters, shotgun, black powder, and bow. I'm certain that if you were to speak to Scottie about your situation he would jump at the chance to try putting a "string" over a tree limb. Unfortunately, he's a few hundred miles too far east to do you much good.

But if you could find a local bow hunter, they might be interested. The hunter would supply the equipment and you would simply only have to provide the challenge. It would seem to be at least worth checking around.

Diggr

It could be a slim shot, but like I said, I'm running out of options and got at least a couple hundred bucks worth of rocket stuff hangin up there :(

I don't know if you know Mike T from the Woosh launches, but he uses a golf ball attached to the end of a fishing line, and a fishing pole. That might be a easy/cheap solution?

How high is it? You can fashion up a pretty long pole out of thin-wall PVC.

Just get a small rocket like an estes wizard, tie a string to it, and aim it at the other rocket!

On a more serious note, you could try building an air cannon out of pvc pipe and an electric sprinkler valve. My uncle built one with my cousin, and it can launch paper and duct tape rockets a few hundred feet. You could tie a line to it, and if the paper rocket gets stuck, it is cheap enough to make more.

My first estimations were about 40-50 feet, and that's just to the rocket. It's hanging down on about 15' of Kevlar. The branch hangs out pretty far, but the only 'clear shot' I have is from out of the trees. It's a small treeline, but relatively thick.

I don't have a fishin pole, or a baseball bat, so of what I -have- to buy, I want it to be cheap and ideally...work.

I'm still looking for friends that bowhunt.

If I could find a better way from the string from getting tangled up, that would help.

I tried an A motored 'bottle rocket' but again, the string got tangled up on the ground. I need to bring a rake or blanket to lay the string out on.

I'm going to figure the electronics may be wrecked because of the rain we got recently. I'm not concerned the rocket will get damaged, it's a Wildman Drago!

It's actually kinda funny, they can see the blaze orange chute and the flag I attached all the way from the school.

The flag?

A Jolly Roger skull and crossbones :)

How high is it? You can fashion up a pretty long pole out of thin-wall PVC.

Thin wall, like schedule 40? Any recommendations on diameter? Skinny enough to be light, but not too bendy.

The poles I have --cobbled-- together are too heavy at the bottom, and too bendy at the top. It's a mix of 1 1/2 PVC, parts of a pole saw, some 1/2 steel conduit, and some aluminum tube. I have to assemble it near vertical, it would be a pretzel if I tried to pick it up from the ground.

Heck, I should just bring one of the neighbor kids with me next time. He could probably throw something that high, and/or probably would love climbing a tree. The tree it's in is not very climbable, but there is one near it that could get him within 15' of the rocket.

I've got a weird pride thing in asking people for help, but...I think I'm going to have to..soon :(

Last edited:
I do believe he is referring to 3/4" cpvc (the dream colored stuff) or perhaps the gray pvc electrical conduit, not sch40.
Rex

I do believe he is referring to 3/4" cpvc (the dream colored stuff) or perhaps the gray pvc electrical conduit, not sch40.
Rex

Oh I just love the dreamy colors :p

I'm thinking of seeing if I could make a bow with sch80. Some use sch40 , slice 1/2" pipe down the middle and ram it into 3/4" to stiffen it. Seems like that would be a PITA. Some use fiberglass reflectors/yard markers inside the pipe as well for more pull.

I have to do more searching, but I'm sure I'll find -somebody- that has made a sch80 bow.

I have some stuff I need around the house, and even if I didn't, it looks like I could build this thing for well under $10.

I saved my receipt for the sling shot, that will pay for it ;)

A 10# draw weight bow from walmart or canadian tire will be able to do the job. (it only costs 15 bucks)

I built a bow out of old carbon tent poles a few years back. Could shoot an arrow ~400' with it, though at that range the accuracy wasn't very good.

I think I found it :)

A 66" x 1 1/4", sch40 pipe longbow.

The vid shows how he made it, and actually proves it has 80# of pull.

Shot at the chrono at almost 180fps, even -he- said "Holy sh$&!"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKqV9reA1M

Heck, even IF I can't get the rocket with it, this looks like it would be fun project anyway :p

not a good idea to use that since if you have a high poundage it will likely snap the PVC bow in half Olympic archers use PVC bow with a very low poundage around 5 pounds to practice form without a arrow. For a arrow to get the rocket out of the tree you should use archery tag arrows (marshmallow arrows) they are arrows that have a foam tip so I won't damage the rocket and anybody standing near you. They use those arrows to shoot other people in the game archery tag. A good low poundage now would be the snake bow.

not a good idea to use that since if you have a high poundage it will likely snap the PVC bow in half...

That was my concern as well, but I've done a little research on it. The same guy that made the previous vid, also showed one that he made fail on purpose. The way the pipe is flattened, it doesn't break or shatter, it just bends. As long as it is not overheated when flattening, it will stay strong and flexible.

It seems home made PVC bows are quite popular. Super cheap to make, and seemingly relatively safe, as far as not shattering if broken.

His 'failure' video-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wgr3VlVOvBc

Check out 'BackyardBowyer' on YouTube, he's made dozens of them, all different sizes, and seems quite knowledgeable.

Last edited:
That was my concern as well, but I've done a little research on it. The same guy that made the previous vid, also showed one that he made fail on purpose. The way the pipe is flattened, it doesn't break or shatter, it just bends. As long as it is not overheated when flattening, it will stay strong and flexible.

It seems home made PVC bows are quite popular. Super cheap to make, and seemingly relatively safe, as far as not shattering if broken.

His 'failure' video-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wgr3VlVOvBc

Check out 'BackyardBowyer' on YouTube, he's made dozens of them, all different sizes, and seems quite knowledgeable.

I have had podium finishes in US nationals and I've learned that PVC bows are strong up to a certain poundage. And with making a PVC bow you have to think about brace height, nock point, and limb length. People don't really use PVC bows for actual hardcore uses people mainly use them to fix their form and the poundages on the bow is usually around 5 pounds so they don't eventually have a tear in the limbs and that causes the bow to snap in half.

I'd suppose I certainly don't need a huge pull just to lob an arrow with a string over a branch.

I'm wanting to get the string over the branch, then tie a rope to the string to pull that over the branch. If I could catch it by the NC, I think I'd be golden.

I have no intention of trying to hit the rocket.

Even if I only use it once, to get the rocket out, for the price, I can't beat it.

What kind of pull would you recommend to go up about 60 feet, from about 50 feet away?

Anybody made one? I'm to broke to buy a 'real' bow, but PVC is super cheap. Heck, I've probably got some laying around the house. I'm thinking of using tubular Kevlar (I have) for the string. They recommend 550 para cord, but...don't have that.

It certainly looks easy enough to make! All kinds of online instructions.

In case you're wondering, I'm wanting to use it for a tree recovery :(

I was thinking of making a crossbow, but not sure if those are legal here.

Sounds like it's time to move to another state.
You should not need anyone's approval to own something like a crossbow.

Sounds like it's time to move to another state.
You should not need anyone's approval to own something like a crossbow.

I wasn't sure, I'm not a hunter. I just checked, and apparently they were recently okayed for use during bow hunting season.

I'm not sure how the local cops would feel about a guy sneaking through the woods, across the street from school with one though. I'm thinking I would get a cap busted in my @$&, and they'd ask questions later. :/

I'd suppose I certainly don't need a huge pull just to lob an arrow with a string over a branch.

I'm wanting to get the string over the branch, then tie a rope to the string to pull that over the branch. If I could catch it by the NC, I think I'd be golden.

I have no intention of trying to hit the rocket.

Even if I only use it once, to get the rocket out, for the price, I can't beat it.

What kind of pull would you recommend to go up about 60 feet, from about 50 feet away?

A 10# draw weight bow from walmart will do just fine.

Do you possibly know someone who has a large ladder? You could do that, just a easier alternative. Better yet you can nail plywood into that tree and make little ladder "steps" like in a tree house. Cheaper, less time consuming, and easier.

Do you possibly know someone who has a large ladder? You could do that, just a easier alternative. Better yet you can nail plywood into that tree and make little ladder "steps" like in a tree house. Cheaper, less time consuming, and easier.

I had considered using a ladder. If I had one tall enough, I could lean it up against one of the trees near the overhanging branch. I may not be able to actually reach the rocket, but that, combined with poles -may- do it. The branch it's on hangs out pretty far, and isn't very big. Even if one could get up that tree, getting out on that branch would be insane, even by my standards.

I'll have to ask the neighbors again, they have a lot of things that would probably work...

I was thinking of using my daughters small drone I got her for Christmas. Tie a string to it, and fly it up and over, but my luck lately, I'd get -that- stuck too.

Last edited:
Thinwall is schedule 200. It is super cheap and relatively lightweight. I have a pole that I made from two pieces of 20' one inch hooked together using the bell ends. I then used duct tape and two more pieces of pipe to stiffen the bottom. A ten foot piece of half inch pipe and a coat hanger hook finished it off.

Back