Effects in OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKailas Dad

Reaction score
For some reason, when I try the effects like fire and smoke in 3D, I get an error message...

"GLException: Method 'glUseProgram' not available"

As far as I know, I have the latest version of Java, and I believe it's version 15.03 of OR. I have an older laptop running Vista.

Any advice?

For some reason, when I try the effects like fire and smoke in 3D, I get an error message...

"GLException: Method 'glUseProgram' not available"

As far as I know, I have the latest version of Java, and I believe it's version 15.03 of OR. I have an older laptop running Vista.

Any advice?

Can't help you there, but I'll add that I can't get smoke (no error message though). I'll add I'm running 15.03 as well.

sounds a bit like your video 'card' isn't new enough to handle those specific effects. or you have a video driver issue. you are referring to the smoke fire etc. like those in the attached picture, yes?
Rex

sampleeffects.jpg

As Rex indicated, you should see if there's an updated OpenGL driver for your video card. What video card is in it?

My back up computer, the one I'm typing on right now, has had similar Openrocket issues in the past, but is currently operating ok.
This one has Vista too.
Last time OR was acting stupid I had to just remove all of it, Java, and Adobe something or other that was used to install Java, which was used to install OR.

I would agree with Rex R. If you're on a laptop, you most likely have what is referred to as a "down chip" rather than a video card. If everything else is OK the issue is more than likely a driver issue. I would recommend that you go look for an updated OpenGL driver. I used to run Vista but for the life of me I can't remember what the procedure was. Then again, I'd probably be hard pressed to tell you what I had for dinner last nite. :)

lap top computers are not known for being able to do graphics intensive rendering programs(games for example), so there is a good chance it simply can't do it.
Rex

Back