USING TITEBOND II ON A ESTES V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
Just bought a the new Estes V2 rocket.Has anyone used only Titebond II to build this kit?I was wondering with the plastic boattail and centering rings.Don't really want to use epoxy that would add weight.

I just now am putting on the final coats of paint on a 1980s version of the current Estes V-2. It's basically the same as yours, it just has die-cut balsa fins instead of laser cut. I used Titebond for the paper/cardboard joints, but you will get no adhesion to the tailcone with carpenters glues like Titebond, or with white glues. Just use epoxy sparingly and you will not add a significant amount of weight. I papered my fins (trimmed to scale size) with 65 lb. card stock, and the fins are very smooth. I used CA on the edges to seal the paper. I then applied epoxy fillets to the fin-to-tailcone joints, since the fit of parts on this kit is not the greatest. I primed heavily and sanded to fill body tube seams and surface blemishes on the tailcone. I'll probably need to add a bit more nose weight than typical, due to the scale fins.

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow when I can take the model off the dowel I used to hold it while painting. I plan to fly it on 24mm reloads, so I didn't plan to keep weight to the absolute minimum, but it should fly OK on a D or E black powder motor.

I to plan on papering the fins,I thought about using epoxy but the stuff I have is old and needs replaced.Reloads,I have a 24mm motor case.Just leave out the thrust ring.Is your case a 24-40?Looking forward to your pictures.Have not made up my mind on the paint scheme.

I to plan on papering the fins,I thought about using epoxy but the stuff I have is old and needs replaced.Reloads,I have a 24mm motor case.Just leave out the thrust ring.Is your case a 24-40?Looking forward to your pictures.Have not made up my mind on the paint scheme.

I do have the 24/40 hardware -- and will likely use an E18 for first flight. Here is picture of the V-2 nearly done (sorry, iPhone pics get rotated). It just needs two adjacent fins in black. The is the Wehtmacht Field Test colors. I decided not to try to build this with lots of scale mods, primarily just trim the fins. The Estes nose cone should be pointier. I just wanted to get one ready to fly!

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm building the latest Estes 2.6" dia. V-2. Likewise, I used epoxy fillets to attach the fins to the plastic boat-tail. I first put a coating of CA on the fins followed by several coats of water based MinWax Polycrylic with light sanding in-between coats. I used carpenter's yellow glue to attach TTW fins to the BT-50 tube. Some of the inside attachments of the BT-50 to the plastic boat-tail used plastic cement. I used yellow glue to attach the BT-50 to the cardboard centering ring on top of the boat-tail. I'm modifying this model to make Tom's A4b.

IMG_3565.jpg IMG_3566.jpg

I do have the 24/40 hardware -- and will likely use an E18 for first flight. Here is picture of the V-2 nearly done (sorry, iPhone pics get rotated). It just needs two adjacent fins in black. The is the Wehtmacht Field Test colors. I decided not to try to build this with lots of scale mods, primarily just trim the fins. The Estes nose cone should be pointier. I just wanted to get one ready to fly!

View attachment 283515

I was thinking of a red fin can like your white one,black body tube and a red tip on the nose cone.

I'm building the latest Estes 2.6" dia. V-2. Likewise, I used epoxy fillets to attach the fins to the plastic boat-tail. I first put a coating of CA on the fins followed by several coats of water based MinWax Polycrylic with light sanding in-between coats. I used carpenter's yellow glue to attach TTW fins to the BT-50 tube. Some of the inside attachments of the BT-50 to the plastic boat-tail used plastic cement. I used yellow glue to attach the BT-50 to the cardboard centering ring on top of the boat-tail. I'm modifying this model to make Tom's A4b.

View attachment 283516 View attachment 283517

Have you slotted your body tube?That should look great with a camo paint job.

Have you slotted your body tube?That should look great with a camo paint job.

I was lucky enough to find a heavy cardboard tube that fits inside the Estes 2.6" dia. tube and I have slotted the tube for the wings. I am thinking about cutting hatches in the same tube for the servo's like Tom did. I think Tom's camo paint job looks great.

Back