Eggtimer Quantum - A WiFi-Enabled Flight Computer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WarnerR and I were talking about these today.. we both have projects it would be ideal for.

Kenny

Just order the Quantum and the Wifi-Switch.

Anyone got an online referral for buying the needed lipo battery and a mounting clip?

I've only used 9V batteries to date.

Thx,
W

Just what I need, another Eggtimer altimeter.

Who am I kidding? The only reason I don't have a TRS already is because I haven't recovered from soldering the GPS on my Eggfinder yet. :)

Time to break out the wallet and the magna visor.

Steve

You fly a TRS and you'll be impressed. I just got 2 points on a bare grey field with GPS Rocket Locator on an Android device as it wasn't a cellphone with an internet link. I did get a Ham radio app to track with the EggFinders and my testing shows really promising results. Can download a variety of maps and save to the tablet for use in the field, no internet required.

Screenshot (13).jpgScreenshot (11).jpgScreenshot (4).jpg

The black line is the position of the tablet and the red line is the "ROCKET"/EggFinder. The TRS works also. The neat thing with the LCD receiver is the altitude there is displayed above ground level with the TRS and the altitude displayed on the APRSIS32 screen is GPS altitude. An 8" windows tablet inside a flat black painted cardboard box (so the glare from the sunlight doesn't make the screen unreadable and acts as a shade) is going to be
a really nice setup for tracking in the Midwest. Can hold with one hand and know if that last received packet is near a road to the next field or if one has to ford a bunch of drainage ditches/streams/creeks to get to the rocket. Kurt

Last edited:

Anyone got an online referral for buying the needed lipo battery and a mounting clip?

Thx,
W

I usually look for a good buy it now deal on ebay for both LiPo's and packages of JST connectors. If you want to buy local you can try an RC hobby shop or online RC dealer.

Thx,
W

I've been happy with the batteries I purchased from Hobby King. This should link to there selection of 2S (2 cells - 7.4 volt) packs of all shapes and sized:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...y=86&LiPoConfig=2&sortlist=&CatSortOrder=desc

You want something with a capacity of 500 mAh or greater.... the higher the number, the more capacity, the longer your Quantum will run!
Another critical is the C rating... you see something like 15-30C. This an output rating of the battery as a multiplier of it's capacity (C) so:

Example battery 1000 mAh Capacity
Rating - 15-30C
Sustained output = 1000 mAh x 15C = 15000 mA or 15 Amps
Instantaneous output = 1000 mAh x 30C = 30000 mA or 30 Amps

All of the above would far exceed the draw one would ever expect from a Quantum or most any deployment flight computer.

One other rating to look for, is a charge rating. It would be expressed in C as well, but would be low like the 1-5C range. The tells you the designed charging rate for the battery. You'll want to set your Li-Po charge to this calculated value or preferable lower.

Example:
Example battery 1000 mAh Capacity
Charge rating of 2C
Max charge current = 1000 mAh x 2c = 2000 mA or 2 Amps
at 100% efficiency, it would take 30 minutes to charge at that rate.... practically speaking, the batteries draw rate will decrease as it get filled and you'd be looking at more like 45 min to 1 hour from near 0% to 100%

When you go the Li-Po route, get yourself a Balanced charger as well. I purchased one of these, and have come to really like it: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html
I power it with a universal Laptop brick I had with the correct connectors. You can also use it in the field from a 12v car battery.

I'm not an expert on these batteries, but I struggled to figure out the nomenclature detail above, so hope this helps.

Jack

" When you go the Li-Po route, get yourself a Balanced charger as well. I purchased one of these, and have come to really like it: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._GENUINE_.html
I power it with a universal Laptop brick I had with the correct connectors. You can also use it in the field from a 12v car battery.

I'm not an expert on these batteries, but I struggled to figure out the nomenclature detail above, so hope this helps.

Jack"

That is a decent charger. I bought one a long time ago and it works well for any lipos anyone might use for their rockets. Kurt

In for one, Quantum !

Guess i will take back my lipo 2s 350mah locally and start ordering the 500+ mah ones .

Really like the square, flat form on the one i am returning. .begging to be stacked up

Kenny

I have a build in progress that was going to get a Rev D board but I will wait for a Quantum.

great seeing your prototype Quantum last weekend- this is an amazing device! Using your phones browser you were able to deploy a charge that you were unsure about... it was so easy! This is perfect for testing l3 rockets without all the fuss we have had to go through. I can only say i love my wifi switches and quarks- now this product is on my must have list! You should have taken me up on the trade for the Guadalajara garlic baked lobster in trade! 😬

Well it was OK that I brought home half a shrimp-stuffed-bacon-wrapped tilapia, but if I had brought home half a lobster my wife would have divorced me... it's tough enough to get away for launches as it is.

The initial release software is done, I'm burning WiFi modules tomorrow. I expect the PC boards any day, once I get them I'll mount the baro sensors and ship. The other parts are already bagged and ready. Now if I can just get all the documentation done...

Well it was OK that I brought home half a shrimp-stuffed-bacon-wrapped tilapia, but if I had brought home half a lobster my wife would have divorced me... it's tough enough to get away for launches as it is.

The initial release software is done, I'm burning WiFi modules tomorrow. I expect the PC boards any day, once I get them I'll mount the baro sensors and ship. The other parts are already bagged and ready. Now if I can just get all the documentation done...

Why would your spouse ditch you if you bring home lobster? A seafood allergy perhaps? I suspect with some of the sales you might be able to splurge a little bit. That should make her appreciative as long as you share with her, "Look hon, look at all the $$$$ this is making us!":wink::blush: Kurt Savegnago

Because SHE didn't get to go and order lobster... :)

Believe me, nobody in this business is getting rich... but I did splurge last year and buy a 2007 Hyundai Accent from a mechanic buddy of mine. Third Accent I've had... they're good cars for the money.

Why would your spouse ditch you if you bring home lobster? A seafood allergy perhaps? I suspect with some of the sales you might be able to splurge a little bit. That should make her appreciative as long as you share with her, "Look hon, look at all the $$$$ this is making us!":wink::blush: Kurt Savegnago

remind her that it was a tax deductible meal and the quys you were with all placed orders because of your fantastic demonstrations. Got a cute picture of me using proudly using my phone to arm my rocket but cant post it to this thread. These switches are a dream come true.... now about testing ematches quickly in the field😈

remind her that it was a tax deductible meal and the quys you were with all placed orders because of your fantastic demonstrations. Got a cute picture of me using proudly using my phone to arm my rocket but cant post it to this thread. These switches are a dream come true.... now about testing ematches quickly in the field��

Ummmm, Don't forget one can temporarily mount a remote switch and use it to test deployment charges.
It was a godsend for an MD Go-Devil 38 for testing apogee and main.

Kurt

Got the PC boards and did a check build. Just have to mount the baro sensors on a whole mess of boards, kits should be going out around the end of the week.

First batch of orders shipped out today, except for a few that have a data cable on them (I'm waiting on them... any day now). The assembly docs and pictures are on the EggtimerRocketry.com web site, the user's guide should be there by the weekend.

Got my kit today! Assembled it: the directions are easy to follow and spot on! This was just as easy to assemble as the wifi switch but has so much more! I will be replacing several altimeters in my rockets as now i can remotely arm, know battery status, can see status of both my matches- and i can remotely fire the matches. This makes testing so EASY! Thanks for creating this awesome product!

I got mine and started the build ..

Did you fire yours up Warner ?

Kenny

Airstarts are in the plans for a future software build, in fact that's one of the reasons why I added the dual-switching on the igniter channels. I need a decent two-stage rocket for testing, though... maybe 38mm to 29mm. I'll probably end up scratch-building one, I haven't seen what I want yet. Obviously, this is something that will require a LOT of testing...

Yeah,

I hope TRA approves two of them for an L3 project. Was going to use magnetic switches, then remote switches,then wifi switch and now heck, just use some Quantums and use a Nexus 7 to turn'em on. Kurt

There's an error in the silkscreen on the board, and consequently in the instructions (although I'm fixing it now...). BOTH of the resistors between the optoisolators should be 472's, one of them is marked 103. This shortchanges the current to the main channel-test optoisolator, which may or may not affect it... it's pretty marginal. You'll notice that you don't have a spare 103 but you got two spare 472's... that's why!

I was able to test both channels with the wrong reaistor installed between the optos

Also got the thing to arm after taking one of the extra 472 and soldering it in place near the mosfet (where it was supposed to be)

So feeling pretty good as i am still pretty green with soldering as a whole ( sorry Connor) .

Got in some Rhino 750mah 2s today. .fairly compact.. will fit well on my 3 inch sled

Now i can go back to work on my Shredder sled and mount this ... it will be so nice not to have to run 'switch' wire or connectors to the vent band

Kenny

edit--here are the pics the phone app said I was not authorized to post last night

20160322_221132.jpg

Screenshot_2016-03-22-22-14-34.jpg

Screenshot_2016-03-22-22-17-14.jpg

Screenshot_2016-03-22-22-37-51.jpg

Last edited:
I got plenty of Quantums, but I'm still waiting for data cables... tracking shows that they arrived at the LA sorting depot a week ago. Time to give USPS a call...

Three built? I'm jealous. Still waiting on mine to ship.

Back