Eggtimer Quantum - A WiFi-Enabled Flight Computer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Eggtimer Rocketry is proud to announce the Eggtimer Quantum, the first WiFi-enabled Flight Computer. It offers a feature set similar to the "classic" Eggtimer, but with one big difference: You program, arm/disarm, download, and test it using a WiFi-enabled browser on your phone, tablet, laptop, or other portable device. We've even used an old iPod Touch. No jumpers, buttons, switches, cables, apps, or Internet required. It's the easiest to use flight computer ever...

Features include:

o Two deployment channels, for Drogue and Main
o 15-flight memory, all downloadable directly to your handheld device.
You can get the full skinny on your flight within seconds of landing!
o Live display of deployment channel status and battery voltage
o Wide array of programming options, all from your phone or tablet
o Optional FailSafe feature can deploy your Main chute if it detects your rocket going into freefall
o Small size: 2.5" x .9", fits in a 24mm tube
o Separate deployment battery option, or use with a single battery
o Dual-ended independent switching on the deployment outputs, they're essentially "dead" until you're well into flight
(you don't even need a power switch)
o PWM servo support for non-pyro deployments
o Remote deployment testing from over 100' away... great for those large pyro tests
o Includes screw-terminal blocks (yes, we gave into peer pressure...)

You can read more about it at https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/Quantum.php

The Eggtimer Quantum kit will be $40, with availability around mid-March. The Quantum is about the same complexity to build as the Eggtimer WiFi Switch, meaning that it DOES use surface mount components but they're all 1206-size and/or .050" pitch SOIC's. With the proper tools, assembly should take most experienced electronic hobbyists an evening.

As usual, thanks for all your support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Unbelievable...
What a fantastic idea Cris..
I'll be on line for this one...

Teddy

Wow.

Will this run on a 9V or does it need a lipo?

Will Connor be offering assembly services?

The Quantum requires a 2S LiPo, there's not enough current output from a 9V for WiFi. That's just the nature of the beast...

Like the Eggtimer and the TRS, you can use a separate deployment battery if you wish, for that you can use a 9V battery or whatever battery is appropriate for your deployment device. Most people will use the single-battery option, though, we've made it easy to do that on the Quantum by providing a jumper from the battery over to the deployment power.

I've got a couple Venom 2S LiPo's sitting around. Are the connectors JST or JST-PH? If so, I think these should work.

Battery Type: Lithium Polymer (LiPo Battery)
C Rate: 30C
Volts: 7.4
Capacity: 300mAh
Cell Count: 2S
Continuous Discharge: 30C (9A)
Max Burst Rate: 60C (18A)
Max Volts per Cell: 4.2V
Max Volts per Pack: 8.4V
Min Volts per Pack: 6V
Charge Rate: 1C (0.3A)
Max Approved Charge Rate: 5C (1.5A)
Wire Gauge: 20 AWG Soft and Flexible Low Resistance Silicone Wire
Plug Type: JST and E-Flite JST-PH
Dimensions: 38 x 20 x 12 mm / 1.5 x 0.8 x 0.5 in
Watt Hours: 2.22
Weight: 0.6 oz (17.2 g)

Yes, I've flown a similar battery in a Wildman Mini in testing.

BTW, (and this will probably stir up some controversy), you do not need a power switch with the Quantum. The deployment channels are essentially "dead" except for a < 1mA trickle current for the continuity testing, there's no direct connection between your igniters and either side of the battery power. The "+" side is switched with BJT's like the other Eggtimer Rocketry altimeters, and the "-" side is switched on with a juicy FET well into the flight. It's the safest deployment output on the market.

1) What does it weigh in single-battery configuration?
2) What data does it report for each flight?

I'm wondering if this would make sense simply as a mobile-connected altimeter, without using the dual-deployment capabilities.

The Quantum weighs about 20 grams, plus your battery of course, which is likely to be heavier.

There's a long list of data and events that it reports after every flight, plus the time/altitude/velocity and time/event detail reporting that you can download to a CSV. From the web site:

What post-flight data can I see on my phone?

From your remote device you can see, for the last 15 flights:

o Flight number
o ASL altitude of launch site
o Temperature at launch
o Launch detect altitude & elapsed time from launch
o Low-velocity detect altitude & elapsed time from launch
o Apogee altitude & elapsed time from launch
o Nose-over altitude & elapsed time from launch
o Drogue deployment altitude & elapsed time from launch (if drogue is turned ON)
o Main deployment altitude & elapsed time from launch (if Main is turned ON)
o Landing elapsed time from launch
o Maximum velocity and elapsed time from launch
o Average acceleration in G's at maximum velocity from launch
o Plus all of the settings for that flight

Clicking on the "Detail" link from the Summary page downloads a .CSV file with detailed flight data that you can process using Excel or other data analysis programs. You get time vs. altitude and velocity, both filtered and unfiltered. Milestone flight events such as apogee and deployments are marked, too. Generally, you're gonna want to use a laptop or laptop-replacement type tablet to analyze this data, but we've used WPS Office on an iPhone & 7" Android tablet to get a quick graph right after the flight.

The Quantum requires a 2S LiPo, there's not enough current output from a 9V for WiFi. That's just the nature of the beast...

Like the Eggtimer and the TRS, you can use a separate deployment battery if you wish, for that you can use a 9V battery or whatever battery is appropriate for your deployment device. Most people will use the single-battery option, though, we've made it easy to do that on the Quantum by providing a jumper from the battery over to the deployment power.

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
How do you type the sound of angles sighing...lol...

Teddy

No AUX channels, there's no more I/O ports available on the processor. I had to do some sneaky dual-purposing to get everything in... the ESP8266 I/O is rather finicky about how it's used.

A fully logging flight computer for $40 - very nice. One question what is power consumption like?

About 100 mA. That's a lot compared to most other flight computers, but once again it's the WiFi... that's why I recommend a 300 mAH 2S LiPo. Bigger is better... I use 800's in my larger rockets.

Cris,

What is the size of the board? Similar to original eggtimer or bigger like TRS.

It's the same size as the WiFi Switch, 2.5" x .9". Picture below is a slide-in sled that I use on a Wildman Mini.

IMG_1255.jpg

This looks very exciting, I have 3 eggtimers, and was looking at the site tonight to see about adding one or two more, but will totally wait for this one to come out. Probably a really stupid question, but what's the range on the wiFi (ideal range- not near allthread, other sinks)? With this I assume you no longer provide/require external continuity indicator options for the deployments? LOVE the idea of the fail-safe- have lost too many rockets to failed drogue (well, 1, but still too many), but it looks like the Quantum, unlike the classic eggtimer, does not do airstarts, is this true?

This is great! But I'm already getting greedy. Is there a "Quantum TRS" in the works? You would definitely get some more of my money for that (even though I just bought a "regular" TRS).

Ok, let's face it...I'm surely going to fork over $40 for at least one of these sometime soon.

Typical range in real rockets is going to be over 100' easy, except for CF rockets of course. No external indicators, or on-board LEDs for that matter... that's what the WiFi is for. There IS a buzzer, just because everybody is used to one... and it's basically a free pin that's used for something else too so it wasn't a big deal hardware-wise. There's no technical reason why the Quantum couldn't do airstarts, that's really one reason why I did the dual-ended igniter switching. Also, I have to release the software sometime, and airstart testing takes a long time. Maybe later in the year...

This looks very exciting, I have 3 eggtimers, and was looking at the site tonight to see about adding one or two more, but will totally wait for this one to come out. Probably a really stupid question, but what's the range on the wiFi (ideal range- not near allthread, other sinks)? With this I assume you no longer provide/require external continuity indicator options for the deployments? LOVE the idea of the fail-safe- have lost too many rockets to failed drogue (well, 1, but still too many), but it looks like the Quantum, unlike the classic eggtimer, does not do airstarts, is this true?

Typical range in real rockets is going to be over 100' easy, except for CF rockets of course. No external indicators, or on-board LEDs for that matter... that's what the WiFi is for. There IS a buzzer, just because everybody is used to one... and it's basically a free pin that's used for something else too so it wasn't a big deal hardware-wise. There's no technical reason why the Quantum couldn't do airstarts, that's really one reason why I did the dual-ended igniter switching. Also, I have to release the software sometime, and airstart testing takes a long time. Maybe later in the year...

Thanks Chris- can you go into more detail about the dual-ended igniter switching? I saw your explanation on BJT and FET in post 9; is this what you mean, that the igniter is essentially floating completely disconnected until the FET activates connecting the ground (and then the BJT makes the bang)? Is a juicy FET a thing? All the ones I've had are dry and tasteless!

Juicy is good... it's big and won't fry easily.

The typical deployment output circtuitry has one of the two legs connected to a common (ususally +V if you're using FETs, but we use BJT's so it's GND) and the other leg switched on/off by your deployment transistor, by the processor. The reason that NAR/TRA requires a disconnect on the deployment power is that you only have one thing - the transistor - between your battery and the igniter. If the transistor should fail (i.e. a fried-shorted FET) or you have some kind of glitch in your circuitry then your igniter is going to fire the instant that you provide power to it.

The Quantum basically includes a switch for the deployment power (an 8A/60W FET) that doesn't come on until near-apogee in flight, in addition to the standard BJT on the "+" side of the igniter. There is no direct connection between the igniters and the deployment power. For continuity testing purposes there is a 4.7K resistor on either side of the igniter to +V and GND, it lights up the optoisolator but the current through the igniter is going to be well under 1mA. For the igniter to fire, BOTH the FET and the BJT have to be turned on. They're controlled by separate outputs on the processor, and by separate events in the software. It would be virtually impossible for these to happen outside a real flight (or a user-initiated test). I was thinking primarily of airstart safety when I put this in, but I believe it also satisfies the NAR/TRA requirements for a L3 deployment power disconnect. Opposing opinions are encouraged and welcomed, of course... :)

With both side disconnected and floating, would it be possible to somehow develop a potential across the starter leads? What comes to mind are the people (I've seen them posting on other threads here) who are so concerned about a static discharge that they short the ignitor leads until just before launch.

I ask out of ignorance and curiousity. I think it unlikely, and those folks are overly cautious. But I don't practice dual deploy or air starting yet.

They're not technically floating since they're tied to +V/GND with 4.7K resistors. It's not likely that a stray charge could develop, that goes for the other Eggtimer altimeters too. I've had guys hit them with strong RF transmitters literally right next to them, nothing.

Just what I need, another Eggtimer altimeter.

Who am I kidding? The only reason I don't have a TRS already is because I haven't recovered from soldering the GPS on my Eggfinder yet. :)

Time to break out the wallet and the magna visor.

Steve

Back